PDA

View Full Version : Separation Anxiety in a dog

Dulcee
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi All

So DBF and I have recently moved in together while I start grad school down here in NC. Things have been great and DBF has stumbled into a really fantastic job that he started two weeks ago. So now we've been looking into adopting a dog.

We're both dog people and have found our apartment very lonely without one. Last weekend we went to an adoption fair and came face to face with a gorgeous shepherd/husky mix who stole our hearts. She's 3 years old and content to sleep on your lap or go for a run with you.

We've been talking to her foster family and are 99% sure we're taking her. We're really just waiting at this point to get final approval and see how the home visit goes. One thing they have made us aware of is she has shown some separation anxiety in the way of panting, drooling and sometimes barking in her crate when left alone.

We know that if we take her this a problem we will need to address immediately. In the time that they have her they said she has gotten better by leaps and bounds but still shows some of the signs and with the transition to a new home its very possible she may revert some.

:dog:So my big question is has anyone dealt with an adult dog that has separation anxiety? And if you have what did you do to help it?

BrerGnat
09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
If you are looking to adopt a dog with KNOWN separation anxiety issues, it would be a bad idea to do so if the dog will be home alone for long stretches of time. Since you are going to school and your DBF is working, who will be with the dog?

Also, are you in an apartment? Keep in mind that excessive barking is usually something you can get evicted for, if your dog is a "repeat offender" and neighbors complain. Your options will be to get rid of the dog, or move out. Just be aware of that in advance.

I'd not try to discourage you from getting a pet, but maybe a NEEDY dog is not the best idea at this time. You would want a more independent, apartment dog.

Dulcee
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
I probably should have clarified more.

DBF and I work opposite schedules 90% of the time. He works in security and most often works nights while I'm home most days by 3. I'm also always home weekends while he is generally off one or two days during the week. So we're looking at left alone time of maybe 2-3 hours a day with the very rare occurrence of a maximum of 5 hours.

According to her current foster family she has settled into a routine with them where she seems fine for up to three hours its when she is left longer then that, that she begins to show signs of stress.

DizneyRox
09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
The only thing that worked for us was another dog. We tried just about everything, medication, doggy day care, and honestly, the cheapest thing was another dog. She would howl and bark, if left in a cage, we would come home to a bloody nose from her trying to get out.

We started in an apartment, and moved to a house. Had animal control called on us once at the house as she was a "nuisance". Remember that good fences make good neighbors. Got the second dog in the first house and them moved to the sticks. She was better with the second dog, but still greeted us like a mad woman.

She passed in January at 12 years old and things never changed with her. We had her from a pup.

MNNHFLTX
09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I totally understand your desire to have a dog, but I remember from your other thread your concern about finances and saving money with groceries. Having a dog (or any pet) potentially can cost a lot of money in food, supplies, vet visits, etc. Of course, you hope that the dog will stay healthy, but if it ends up with any medical issues, you might find yourself in a bind. Last year we had three of our pets become ill with one thing or another and I don't even want to tell you how much we spent on caring for them. Just the luck of the draw, I suppose, but something to seriously consider.

I just went back and noticed your comment about your BF's new job. If money is not an issue now and the dog won't be left alone all day, then the timing might be right for adopting the dog. :dog:

bouncer
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I have heard that leaving a radio on for the dog can be soothing. Haven't had to rely on it for our dogs, but it helped for my uncle's dog. Worth a shot:thumbsup:

AvaNellMouse
09-09-2010, 01:25 AM
We acquired a yellow lab that had been with an alzheimers patient 24/7 for several years. Hew had constant attention, petting etc. Once she was moved into a full-time care facility, he was given away. He was passed through at least three other homes before he came to us. When left alone he had panic attacks. He tore down fences, broke a canine tooth, was a wreck. He NEEDED constant interaction with people and would resort to anything imaginable to have it.

We called a professional - a well known local dog trainer. It was three weeks of torture but we moved him past his experience.

What we did:

Kong toys or similar with peanut butter to occupy his time.

Buster Cube, more food & interaction.

We put him in our kitchen behind a doggie gate and sat in the living room where he could SEE us, but not TOUCH us. He would whine, we would ignore it (no tv on, no conversation, nothing). Once he stopped whining, we went to the gate and told him he was a good boy. No touching, just verbal praise. Then returned to living room. The first time it was 45 minutes before he settled and we praised. Second time, 10 minutes; third, less than five.

Then we moved outside. He was in his dog run (huge, very nice) and I was on the patio where, again, he could SEE me but no touching. Same situation, no acknowlegement what so ever until he settled and did not whine. The outside process was a bit longer.

We enrolled in obedience training. He was not a stellar student but we all learned a lot about how to cope with his issues.

In the end, we got a puppy and he was much happier with his brother's companionship than being alone. Dogs really are pack animals.

This is NOT an easy task. We spent over a thousand dollars in the process and ended up taking three weeks off work so he wouldn't hurt himself when he was alone. It was tough-love and lots of patience that helped him get comfortable. It can be done but you may not be in the best situation to manage his needs right now.

Regardess of your decision, blessings to all involved.

Dulcee
09-09-2010, 10:48 AM
We acquired a yellow lab that had been with an alzheimers patient 24/7 for several years. Hew had constant attention, petting etc. Once she was moved into a full-time care facility, he was given away. He was passed through at least three other homes before he came to us. When left alone he had panic attacks. He tore down fences, broke a canine tooth, was a wreck. He NEEDED constant interaction with people and would resort to anything imaginable to have it.

I found your post really interesting due to the difference in the dogs background. In your case it seems to make sense to me, in the dog that were looking at she comes from a stray background where one would assume she was use to very little human interaction. She was only rescued this past January.

We've been talking extensively with her foster parents to decide if this is a good call. We've also set up a couple of "visits" for her to our apartment to see if it would be a good fit. Our first one is tonight so we'll see how things go.

They had never tried kongs with her but agree that with her it may be more boredom than actual separation anxiety since when she gets a decent amount of exercise and is really worn out she doesn't seem to exhibit stress when caged. So kongs and buster balls may prove to be a good choice with her.

Thanks for all the words of caution. I promise we are doing our hw before making our final decision.

Mickey'sGirl
09-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Our Brittany, Tate, was rescued from a "breeder" in Missouri, and had HUGE separation anxiety, even with a doggie companion. He too never had a lot of companionship before he came home. He is now a very stable almost stress free (he still hates thunderstorms!) member of our household. Emily is a recent adoptee (a 3 yr old lab/shepherd cross), and she had constant attention, so has a bit of a "cling to Jenn" kinda thing going on still ... but she has adapted very well.

We learned three things while sorting Tate out:

1) A well exercised and tired dog is a happy dog. If you take the doggie out for a really good run a couple of times per day, she will be a happier dog and a lot less anxious about separation. She will have gotten some quality attention from you, and will be tired from the exercise.

2) Dogs like caves. We found by moving Tates crate into a small dark hallway, he felt surrounded and safe (blankets etc over the crate would not work with him, as he ate them ... and a beanbag chair ... and a crate ... but that's another story).

3) Kongs. Get them, use them, fill them with good doggie treats and nut butter. It gives them something to focus on.

The idea of bringing this dog home and giving her a "forever" home is so appealing, but really really really make sure it is for her good as well as your own. Dogs are incredibly expensive, and to feed a large dog quality dog food is a serious ding to the budget! If it works out, I wish you all nothing but the best!!

Congratulations on settling into your new life in North Carolina! I hope everything continues to go well for both of you.

PirateLover
09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I have to second the money caution. Everyone warned us, and we knew it would be a lot, but I don't think we realized HOW much. (Then again, we got a puppy, so there have been a lot of vet trips for immunization, etc). I know deeply what it is to feel for a dog and want to take it home and love it and protect it. We donate to the shelter often and it's hard for my common sense to win out over my heart when we stroll the grounds. If we lived in a house, I think we'd come home with a new dog every time!!!!

Kongs are great, and gates can be too... unless the dog is smart and agile. Our almost 5 month old cockapoo can get over the gate, so when he needs to be put away, it's the crate for him. He doesn't wine as much in his crate any more, but if we walk out of eyesight he whines and whines. If someone is puppysitting for us we have to make sure he doesn't see us leave. We are still working on him, but we also have hired a local trainer to help with some issues as well.

Another thing to look into if you do adopt is the dog's diet. Sometimes food can really affect a dog's mood. I was shocked to find out that most of the major brands have stuff in them that can affect a dog's temperament. On the recommendation of our trainer, we just switched our pup off of Science Diet to a food that is free of corn, chicken "by-product," animal fat and a few other things. Most of the better brands you can't even purchase at a big chain like Petsmart. We go to a smaller, local store that caries all-natural food and bones. We feel that our dog has become much calmer since we switched his diet.

Mickey'sGirl
09-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Another thing to look into if you do adopt is the dog's diet. Sometimes food can really affect a dog's mood. I was shocked to find out that most of the major brands have stuff in them that can affect a dog's temperament. On the recommendation of our trainer, we just switched our pup off of Science Diet to a food that is free of corn, chicken "by-product," animal fat and a few other things. Most of the better brands you can't even purchase at a big chain like Petsmart. We go to a smaller, local store that caries all-natural food and bones. We feel that our dog has become much calmer since we switched his diet.
YES YES YES YES YES!! We also supplement our dog's "dog food" with frozen green beans, they are omnivores afterall! They each get about a cup of frozen green beans (served frozen) mixed in with their evening meal. It's great for weight control, and they LOVE the crunch.