barnaby
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Trip members:
Me, barnaby, 35 YO husband
Wife, age 35
Daughter, age 15
Son, age 9

Day 1 (Sun, Aug 22), Part 2
After finishing unpacking, we headed over to the AS Sports Food Court to grab our mugs that came with the free dining. My wife and I walked over and took in the sights and sounds at the resort. We really enjoy the themeing of the All-Star Resorts. We filled up then fueled up with caffeine :thumbsup: and headed over to Magic Kingdomat around 7PM for evening EMHs.

I couldn’t help but have a smile on my face as we sped towards the Contemporary in the Monorail, popped out the other side and Space Mountain and the Castle came in full view. After a leisurely stroll up Main Street, I let the kids pick where they wanted to go first, they chose the Haunted Mansion (my favorite) and up next was Pirates. Both were near walk-ons. To me, these 2 attractions are the full embodiment of Disney.

After Pirates, we rode Big Thunder Mountain. After hopping off, we were getting hungry so we decide to Pecos Bills for a late dinner. I had the chicken wrap, wife and kids had the taco salad and burgers. We were all happy with the size and quality of the food. We took our time eating and while we were finishing up (as my son decided he needed more fries), Wishes was going on. We didn't see much of it but we knew that the Main Street Electrical Parade was up next at 10PM, so we grabbed a spot in Frontierland to watch the parade.

I was excited to see MSEP, as I hadn’t seen it since 1996. I remembered parts of it from photos I had from then. Also, it was my family’s first time seeing it. I have to say I got chills as I heard the first bars of the music and saw the lights on the first float coming my way. I especially enjoyed seeing the faces of my family and the others nearby as the floats passed by. The last float with the Eagle and the American flag are my favorite. As it passed, just like when I hear the National Anthem, it stirred indescribable emotions of pride and patriotism, especially at a time when we have men and women sacrificing so much both here and abroad.

After MSEP finished up, we decided to hit Splash Mountain. I narrowly avoided getting wet this time, but Brer Rabbit and Co would get me good another day :(. We rode BTMR again, and then decided to head to Tommorrowland. We wanted to catch the Monsters, Inc Laugh Floor but the last show was at 11PM, so we rode Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin then making our slowly but surely around the Tommorrowland Speedway. It was getting late, so we figured we'd wait in the standby line for Space Mountain. We got sidetracked on the TTA Peoplemover, and then finally got in line at 12:40AM for our final ride of the night on Space Mtn. We hadn’t been on since the rehab. I thought the ride was darker and smoother post-refurb. We finally excited the Tomorrowland Light & Power Company at 1:20 AM, strolled down a near empty Main Street, and headed back to our resort to rest and get ready for Day 2 at Epcot.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Great report:thumbsup:

Joannelet
09-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the report! :)

faline
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I know the return of the Main Street Electrical Parade has met with mixed reviews, but, like you, I have some fond memories of it and was glad to see it again! Long, but very nice, time in the Magic Kingdom!

RedSoxFan
09-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Nice day at MK. :mickey:

DisneyorBust
09-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Now that's the way to end an evening at WDW!

amorillo
09-09-2010, 12:00 PM
the haunted mansion! :cloud9: that would be my first choice too! sounds like you're off to a great start! can't wait to read more.