PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside-Water View vs. Standard

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
How spaced out is Port Orleans Riverside? If I go with a standard room over water view am I looking at a long walk to the bus stops and what are the other differences? I notice there is a water view and a river view, what's the difference there? Also, comparably, how big is this resort compared to Coronado Springs? Thanks for the help.:blush:

Kaps
09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Standard view is fine if you request buildings close to the Main building. I prefer 17 or 18. As for water view it can be of a quiet pool and the river view is of the Sassagoula which I did once and only once. I also recieved my money back because the view was blocked by trees. I would not recomend River view for the money I would go standard and request your buildings. Also ask for a non parking lot view.

azcavalier
09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Just go for a standard view. This is not the kind of resort where a view is worth much. Almost every building is fairly secluded, with lots of trees and landscaping. Heck, i've never even had a room that faced a parking lot. Too many trees.

#1donaldfan
09-09-2010, 12:07 PM
NOT WORTH THE COST !!! REALLY !! You can be just as close to the food, busses and pools with either. If you choose a water view room, and I don't, for instance, I can be just a few doors down in the same building, paying less !!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the input, it helps a lot:mickey:

darthmacho
09-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I agree with the posters. The resort is beautiful, but seriously, how often are you going to look out the window of your room. Views are for resorts with balconies. Save the cash and go with a standard view, regardless of the location. If you want a room with a good (close) location, check-in online within ten days of your trip and check it off as one of your requests. No I don't think they guarantee anything, but they are good about accommodating people's needs for the most part. Good luck. you should love POR! :mickey:

Genie1953
09-09-2010, 11:56 PM
For our 5 day trip in 2005 we requested standard view in one of the mansion buildings. When we got there they told us they had "upgraded" us to water view, however the water view was a room that looked out over a fountain....and in the distance you could just barely see the river. Had we paid for that "water view" room we would have complained but we were just paying for standard view....we rarely in our room so it was fine with us. Now on our last trip we were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary with a 10 day stay and we requested a room with a river view. When they showed us where our room was going to be it was in a similar location as the room location in 2005 so we asked them if they had anything with a closer river view. The very nice lady checking us in asked us to wait a minute while she went to check with her supervisor....she came back and we were given a room at the front of the Oak Manor building looking directly out over the river with a beautiful view of the main building, marina, and Boatwright's off in the distance across the river. To top it off we were given a corner room as well so had two windows....we loved that room and the view was worth it to us to pay the extra money. Guess it just depends on what is important to you....because we were there for 10 days we made it a point to spend time at our resort every afternoon so we were able to enjoy the view a bit more than on our previous trip. That made it more worthwhile to pay the extra.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-10-2010, 10:56 AM
The view isn't really the issue for me, I was just curious after seeing water view and river view, would have thought they were the same. I am more concerned about how far it is for the bus stops, laundry, etc...I think I am convinced to go with a standard. Thanks everyone.:mickey:

BigRedDad
09-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Views at moderate and value resorts is a waste. Since the "view" is not private and looks right out where people pass your room, you won't be using the view to often.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Just looked at the pics of POR on the Magical Journeys site and it looks awesome....so what is your favorite section to stay in the standard section?

Tinkerbella16
09-10-2010, 02:27 PM
I love POR and FQ (FQ being my favorite resort though). When we stayed at POR, we went the week before thanksgiving and it was empty that whole week in the parks, resort, everywhere...that is why we like to go during that week. We asked for Alligator Bayou section..but didn't ask for a specific building..we wished we had lol. There was really no one there and they put us in Building 27. The walk to the main building everyday felt like a mile!! I loved the walk though because of the atmosphere of the resort. I was just a little shocked that they put us in such a far room during such a slow week lol. The good thing was that we literally had the West Depot bus stop right outside of our rooms. So if we had an ADR one morning, it was very easy to get there early enough because the busstop was right there. I remember Building 14 of Alligator Bayou being a great location at POR. If I ever stay there again, I will probably request that one or one of the mansion buildings. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Tinkerbella16, why do you like POFQ better? Is it still on the river and can you take the boat to DTD there as well?

Niecyboo
09-10-2010, 05:10 PM
PORS did just add a "Preferred Location" to their rooms. It's a little more money than a standard view, but will get you closer to the main building. Water View can be anywhere within the resort.

#1donaldfan
09-11-2010, 11:49 AM
PORS did just add a "Preferred Location" to their rooms. It's a little more money than a standard view, but will get you closer to the main building. Water View can be anywhere within the resort.

The preferred room you mention is in one of the buildings we have always requested and received. So, from now on we'll have to pay a bit more for the building we're used to....oh, well, it's way worth it to me.....if you want, get the resort map and look up building 14.....it's the best building there !!!

Gator
09-11-2010, 01:59 PM
The one thing I would request is a Mansion building. If you get shoved into the Alligator Bayou, you will be sorely disappointed. It looks like 40 year old apartment buildings in Birmingham over there. It was enough for me and my DW to never want to go back there just so there's no chance of being in the Alligator Bayou.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
My family said they would like to stay in the mansions, so that's probably what we'll request. Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

Tinkerbella16
09-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Tinkerbella16, why do you like POFQ better? Is it still on the river and can you take the boat to DTD there as well?

I like POFQ better because the size of the resort is a lot smaller than POR. Every building at FQ is really close to everything like the main building, pool, parking lots, busstop, and the river. Yes POFQ is also on the river and yes there are the boats to DTD also. The boat to DTD is one of my favorite things about Port Orleans its about 15mins and its nice to take a different way of transportation for once other than the busses. The layout and the look of POFQ was just better than POR in my opinion. Throughout the resort there are cobblestone streets with street signs and it really feels like you are in New Orleans. It was so quiet at POFQ the entire week we were there. We never had to share busses. There is only 1 bus stop at POFQ while POR has 4 so it takes longer sometimes to get to the parks if you are staying at POR. I had such a relaxing stay at POFQ... its hard to not stay there next year, but Pop Century is in our plans for next year. :mickey: