PDA

View Full Version : Disney is listening to us???

Imagineer1981
09-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I was thinking about the added audio to Space Mountain and the return of "paging Mr. Morrow" to TTA. Do you think Disney is actually listening to the suggestions and complaints of its guests more now and actually making changes based on those comments?

It seems before in the past we'd complain or offer suggestions on countless boards (INTERCOT #1), but nothing would ever change. Now it almost seems as though Disney is actually taking our thoughts into consideration, or is it just me?

johnO
09-07-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm sure they've got reps prowling the boards, listening to trends etc...

How much weight they give these gripes is another question.

darthmacho
09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
While I believe it would take a LOT of influence to make even a minor change, I'm convince that the decision makers at WDW are "in-tune" to what the public wants and makes decisions based upon that. Can't say I know what their methods are, but I have to think that the internet would be a useful tool for them. :surf:

Gator
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
If that were the case, they'd have heard all the whining and blathering about the Sorcerer's Hat and taken it down by now. Thank God they don't listen to everybody or my favorite Icon would be gone forever.

DVC2004
09-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Yep, lots of people from the company read and post here.

Ian
09-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Off topic and somewhat irrelevant responses aside, I do think that they're listening more than they were in the past.

And yes, I do think the return of "Mr. Morrow" to the TTA is in direct response to guest complaints. Why else would they make a change like that?

BrerGnat
09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
I think the advent of Facebook and the "Disney Parks Blog" is a HUGE clue that they are using the internet to gauge guest response to different things. If you are a FB user, and subscribed to the Walt Disney World (or Disneyland) official page, you will notice the trend of the marketing "host" of the page asking really random questions. They tend to get hundreds or thousands of responses to these questions. I think, in the future, you will see a lot of changes or things implemented that are a result of this "new" type of surveying online.

In addition, the company would be foolish to NOT troll Disney discussion boards. I know for a fact that they do...

retiredfigment
09-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Okay, if it is true that they are listening, what would you want back. I am all for starting a petition to get back the original Journey into the Imagination:mickey:

Melanie
09-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I think, in the future, you will see a lot of changes or things implemented that are a result of this "new" type of surveying online.

Good! I hope they noticed my complaining on the question about coffee at the resort. ;)

Briansmom
09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
okay, if it is true that they are listening, what would you want back. I am all for starting a petition to get back the original journey into the imagination:mickey:

yes!yes!yes! :figment:

brownie
09-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Any company that wouldn't make use of all this "free" feedback is going to not live up to its potential. I think Disney is listening. Whether or not they follow through on it is another story...

McLiberal8
09-07-2010, 10:28 PM
I work at Hyatt, and we openly and actively peruse Flyertalk AND Twitter. Any company that didn't utilize this huge public feedback opportunity would be stupid.
That being said, I feel like it must be so difficult to please everyone at a place like Disney. One person wants more thrill rides, one person wants more tradition. They always have to walk a tightrope of keeping roots with Walt alive and keeping up with the times. The more time goes along, the harder this will be...

Mickey91
09-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Off topic and somewhat irrelevant responses aside, I do think that they're listening more than they were in the past.

And yes, I do think the return of "Mr. Morrow" to the TTA is in direct response to guest complaints. Why else would they make a change like that?

Too bad they didn't go all the way and just put the old spiel back! It isn't anywhere near as enjoyable now.:(

W24toISMdirect
09-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Good! I hope they noticed my complaining on the question about coffee at the resort. ;)

Oh, Im sure DISNEY heard you... but your going to have to do something about Nestle.

Maybe convince 8 O'clock to offer a better sponsorship deal.

Back on topc: Social Media Consultant is a HUGE career field right now.

BigRedDad
09-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Okay, if it is true that they are listening, what would you want back. I am all for starting a petition to get back the original Journey into the Imagination:mickey:

I want the innovation back in "Decades past land" (that is Tomorrowland). Tomorrowland was supposed to be innovative of things we will see tomorrow. Unfortunately, it is ancient history as far as innovation goes:

Space Mountain is old and dying
Speedway is old, takes too much space and go carts are everywhere now
Astro Orbiter is the same as Dumbo and Aladdin
SGE is useless
Laugh Floor is fun but could be put anywhere
Buzz is fun and arguably in the right place
TTA I am not sure on that one

Ian
09-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I work for a pharma marketing firm and I can tell you that we're driving a ton of business right now in the social media space.

It's a big deal and I'm quite certain Disney is heavily into it.

Imagineer1981
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I would think so too, but I wanted other peoples thoughts. I would love that job, reading posts and being a Disney spy....

maybe one day they'll see my numerous posts about wanting to be an Imagineer or work in Consumer Products and hire me :)...ha ha...this is the most magical place on the web, it could happen :mickey:

joonyer
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
A couple of things to remember about Disney (or any big company) responding to customers gripes and complaints on internet sites:

1) if all of the the comments and complaints are on the same side of and issue, that is if there are no opposing views, then it is much more likely that Disney will respond to those complaints. If a bunch of people complain about the Sorceror's Hat at DHS for instance, but others say they love it, chances are that Disney is not going to do anything based slely on the negative comments. There's hardly anything that everybody likes or hates

2) Even if the complaints and comments are 100% on the same side, the cost of the implementing the change will likely delay (perhaps forever) any Disney response. For instance almost every comment I have seen about the Yeti is in favor of Disney restoring it to its (as designed) working order. So far, Disney has made no response to all these complaints, primarily because it is going to cost a LOT of $$$$ to fix. On the other hand, adding "Paging, Mr. Tom Morrow" to the TTA audio spiel costs them almost nothing in comparison.

I wish Disney would completely re-do or replace the Tomoorowland Speedway with another attraction, but I recognize that it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, no matter how many people complain about it, because of the expense to create a new attraction.

Granny Jill A
09-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Yes! There are a bunch of us who would like Nescafe to go a-way :)

Granny Jill A
09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I wish Disney would completely re-do or replace the Tomoorowland Speedway with another attraction, but I recognize that it is unlikely to happen anytime soon, no matter how many people complain about it, because of the expense to create a new attraction.

Perhaps OSHA or the EPA should get involved. The toxic fumes and the noise level surely must affect the cast members.

Joannelet
09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow I didn't even know the paging Mr. Tom Morrow was back!!!
It shows they are listening. I think it depends on what it is we want changed or added or missed. If it's something simple like adding Mr. Tom Morrow back to the TTA then there would be no reason NOT to do it as it is easy to do.
Somethings like returning rides to their initial state will be a lot harder for them.
I think it depends on the complaint they are listening to but they are listening!!!! :)
In this day and age with all the sites that reach millions of people minute by minute any large company would be silly NOT to search these boards to see what people are saying.
:thumbsup::mickey:

Imagineer1981
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Perhaps OSHA or the EPA should get involved. The toxic fumes and the noise level surely must affect the cast members.

don't forget shoes melting on the asphalt in the summer. It gets THAT hot

tiggerbuddy
09-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Gimmee !!! Gimmee !! Gimmee !!
My whole family will sign it right now !!