PDA

View Full Version : Rude encounters in the parks?

akaDisneyDreamer
09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Overall we had a great time in on our WDW vacation last month, but there were a couple of people that really stood out and left an impression. One evening we were trying to get out of the park during Wishes (we had planned to watch it another night) and we were following another person through the crowd and she abruptly stopped to watch, so we decided rather than try to continue to push through, which would be impossible, to just stop and watch the show too. Suddenly I felt a stroller get pushed up against my leg and a man yelled "MOVE!" He sounded really angry and I just looked at him and told him I can't move. Every so often, I would feel a nudge from that stroller and hear him grumble. We were packed like sardines in there and this man has the nerve to yell at us to move?

Another day, it was crowded in Fantasy Land when there was a woman being pushed in a wheelchair by a teenaged girl and the woman was yelling "BEEP BEEP!" and glaring at everyone in her path! My daughter had to back up when she was pushing through and almost fell onto a stroller behind her.

We all were feeling the heat, we all wished it were less croweded, but most of us did not feel the need to be so rude to each other. We had a great time in spite of the heat and the crowds, but unfortunatly those two very rude people did affect our day ... anyone else have rude encounters that stand out?

SBETigg
09-06-2010, 02:40 PM
I had some experiences as you describe. Not pleasant, but it happens with crowds. I was on Pirates of the Caribbean with my family, back row. The whole rest of the boat, all seated in front of us, were snapping flash pictures, and the flash of the camera in front of me was blinding me and I'm sensitive to migraines. So I leaned over and asked him very politely if he would stop taking flash pictures, as it wasn't allowed on the ride anyway. His wife yelled at me that they never said it wasn't allowed, to which my husband observed that yes, they said it twice before we left the docking area. Anyway, the man stopped taking pictures, thank goodness (though the people in front of him kept it up throughout).

At the end of the ride, this couple informed the rest of the family (about twenty people) that I was a jerk for making up my own rules and trying to stop people from having fun. Then as we dispersed into the gift shop, one of the women (with small children in tow, lovely) proclaimed she was going to find me and "crack" me right there on the spot.

We left the area and laughed, didn't let it ruin our good time. But in the back of my mind, I did fear that I would be one of those people we talk about who ends up in a fight at WDW and later in some kind of legal action. Oh my!

wdwfansince75
09-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Once upon a time...Disney was much better at controlling rude guests, including flash photography....but I notice that CM's now tend to look the other way, to avoid confrontation. Unfortunately, this seems to lead to more rude guests.

AntMagsMom
09-06-2010, 03:48 PM
When were at MK this past February we were waiting on Main Street for the parade. We were kind of second in line so to speak because there was a family in front of us right on the curb and they asked if my DD would like to sit with their kids, which I thought was very nice. It was a family with extended family i.e. grandma and grandpa. We all were waiting and about ten minutes before the parade starts this couple walks up to my left with two strollers and basically starts pushing them towards the curb and making all sorts of comments about people making space for her kids. Finally she says to the older man (the grandpa), 'SIR, can you move so my kids can see the parade." To which his wife replied, "We've been here for over an hour waiting," basically like, if you were so concerned you would have gotten here early like the rest of us. This woman continued to make comments the whole time and was slowly pushing her stroller forward with one of her girls literally kicking the back of this man. I was so aggravated and the woman's husband looked like he wanted to die. She was basically right next to me complaining the whole time and making really loud comments. Her husband finally got her to shut up and move and we all just looked at each other horrified. She was by far the most obnoxious woman I've ever encountered at Disney.

azcavalier
09-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Once upon a time...Disney was much better at controlling rude guests, including flash photography....but I notice that CM's now tend to look the other way, to avoid confrontation. Unfortunately, this seems to lead to more rude guests.

What drives me nuts about that is that in most cases the flashes aren't even strong enough to make a difference. Plus, it's so dark in most of those places that even with the flash, the pictures are going to be awful. Why take pictures on a ride like that anyway?

Narawen
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
What drives me nuts about that is that in most cases the flashes aren't even strong enough to make a difference. Plus, it's so dark in most of those places that even with the flash, the pictures are going to be awful. Why take pictures on a ride like that anyway?

People always do it even though the pictures come out terribly. I'm not sure if they're just VERY inexperienced photographers who don't know better, or they don't care .

I work at another tourist attraction, and we show a short film. Some customers will video tape the film (doesn't bother us- no rule against it, and they don't use a light so it doesn't disturb other customers), but a few times people have been taking flash photos of the movie. It's really distracting to everyone behind them, and whatever they were trying to capture in the picture is usually gone by the time they take it, because the film's shots are so fast.

jillluvsdisney
09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
We were on PIrate's and encountered the same problem with the flashes. I heard a CM over the PA system say no flash photography was allowed. I can honestly say I understand why CM don't confront guests about bad behavior. In this day and age, I wouldn't confront or provoke anyone.

We were in a very tight crowd making out way from LIberty SQ to Main ST after Wishes. Everybody was cool and patient about it.:thumbsup:

PopPhan
09-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately, I had an experience the last time we rode Pirates -- I was the one with the camera. I had turned the flash off, but did not realize that with my new(er) camera, the autofocus feature has a little strobe that goes off to allow the camera to focus in the dark. Once I realized what it was doing, I turned the camera off and put it away.

faline
09-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Once I realized what it was doing, I turned the camera off and put it away.

I, too, had a flash go off accidently on a ride and immediately put it away after that. I was certainly :blush:! This sort of thing, however, is a bit different than folks who consistently flaunt the rules by continuing to snap flash pictures on dark rides, talking through the entire ride, sending one person into the line and then having another 15 or 20 members of the group weave through the line to "catch up", or trying to push their way to the front at the last minute for parade viewing. Unfortunately, I think we've all had these experiences.

JPL
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately people don't check their rudeness at the door when they enter a Disney Park. It usually show itself during Fireworks and Parades the most. In June I was hit by a scooter and ended up with several cuts on my leg as the driver who knew she had hit proceeded to simply drive away not even checking if I was ok :mad: Part of the problem is with Disney and their lack of crowd control & rule enforcement. :shake:

SBETigg
09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
In my case, it wasn't the flash photography that bothered me nearly as much as the family's behavior afterwards. I don't know the kind of people who threaten others with bodily harm or say they're going to "crack" someone- in front of their own small children! This kind of behavior blows my mind. I felt like they stepped off the set at the Jerry Springer show. Yes, the flash photography was bad enough, but I would have understood if they really didn't know or it was an innocent mistake. This family's behavior was beyond the pale.

Melanie
09-06-2010, 07:43 PM
I am convinced that the worst behavior in folks comes out during parades. Most issues I've had with other guests at Disney parks has occured while waiting for and watching parades. :unsure:

LynBug
09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
People like this really make an impact on your day. The crowd during the Wishes fireworks show was definately the worst experience I've ever had. We were literally moving an inch a minute, people shoving and ramming strollers into people. I'm not a claustrophobic person, but I felt so trapped trying to get out of the park that night. I understand that there is a large crowd and that everyone is trying to get out. But it's the rude behavior that makes it so horrible! If everyone could be patient and respectful, I believe it would really help to quicken the pace to leave the park. I don't think it should be up to the CM to control the crowd. It would be impossible with a crowd that large! As grown adults, they should know to be respectful and wait their turn, and therefore set a good example for their kids.

As for the flash photography, it can definately ruin the experience of the ride. I can understand wanting a picture of the cool things you see in the rides, but the picture most likely won't turn out well anyway. If the flash isn't turned on, then go for it. :thumbsup: No harm in that.

People seem to think that their family has priority over anyone else when it comes to the parades and such. I say it's first come, first serve. If you've been waiting an hour to get a good spot, then you deserve to have that spot.

At the acrabat show at Epcot in the China pavillion, we got in a little late and were in the back in standing room behind the last bench. We didn't try to push our way up or anything and respected everyone else who had gotten there first. However, and teenage girl shoved her way in front of me, then stood on top of the bench right in front of me to get a better view, therefore blocking my view of the show. I thought this was very rude to me and everyone who was standing behind her. We decided to leave the show after about 10 minutes, because we just could not see.

akaDisneyDreamer
09-06-2010, 08:11 PM
In my case, it wasn't the flash photography that bothered me nearly as much as the family's behavior afterwards. I don't know the kind of people who threaten others with bodily harm or say they're going to "crack" someone- in front of their own small children! This kind of behavior blows my mind. I felt like they stepped off the set at the Jerry Springer show. Yes, the flash photography was bad enough, but I would have understood if they really didn't know or it was an innocent mistake. This family's behavior was beyond the pale.

I know, some of those people are just scary! Like the "Beep Beep" lady as we now call her, she gave us such a hateful look as she glared at us, like she would beat us up, or, since she was in a wheelchair, run us over, if we didn't get out of her way! That sort of behavior is just uncalled for and makes you wonder how they can still be so miserable when they are at the Happiest Place on Earth! :confused:

On a more positive note, at least most of the people at the parks were pleasant and polite. I was even offered seats at least three times on the busses and monorails where there was standing room only, and those are outstanding memories as well! :thumbsup:

Bellerella
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
I agree that parades are probably the worst. During our trip last year (May '09) we were trying to make our way through AK to Asia. The parade apparently finished before we made it, and all of a sudden there was a mad rush of people, all shouting about EE, and getting there first. We had formed a chain by grabbing onto each other's backpack so we would not get separated. During that, I got smacked in the face by someone's backpack, rammed in the ankle by a stroller, and then a woman pushed her child and herself between me and my sister and separated our party, so that she could get back there before us. After all that abuse, we just said forget it, lets go relax at the resort!

BellesRose
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
I've encountered plenty of rude CM's, some I remember very clearly, but that's a different story. I've also encountered rude guests but I don't seem to remember them now. I do remember being in a really long line for free hot chocolate during MVMCP, and talking to a very nice lady in line behind me. I also remember a cute, funny couple in the Grand Floridian that joked around with my brother, and we still talk about them often! I just wish the rude ones would leave their attitudes at home or else not bother with a vacation :secret:

seanyred
09-06-2010, 09:05 PM
this past March we were in Fantasyland at night and my 2.5 year old was walking on the path between IASWA and Peter Pan when this lady on a motorized scooter talking on her cell phone steared right into the path of my son. Thankfully I was able to pick up my son before the collision. The lady never noticed us.

I do have to say that 90% of guests are decent and respectful of others.

SBETigg
09-06-2010, 10:13 PM
I do have to say that 90% of guests are decent and respectful of others.

I agree that most people are really great, and the good maybe don't stand out as much because there are more of them. But they do make every trip more wonderful. Thank goodness for polite, decent, considerate people.

doombuggygal
09-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Just like with the parades and fireworks, we have observed people acting like animals while boarding the parking lot trams. We have had a few incidences where people have basically knocked us out of the way to get on ahead of us. However the worst behavior we had ever seen at the parks was one night as MK was closing and people were waiting for trams. One family cut in front of another family. While the tram was sitting and waiting to depart, both parties began screaming and cursing and using the worst language I have ever heard and threatening to beat each other up. We were utterly appalled that people would behave like this especially in front of so many children including their own. We were also appalled that CM's just ingnored what was happenening and did nothing!:(

Ian
09-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Chalk me up as another one who has encountered most bad behavior during parade/fireworks time. It constantly amazes me how people will walk up at the very last minute and just try to push and shove their way to the front. I try not to be uncharitable at Disney, but no way you're getting in front of my family after we patiently waited an hour beforehand for our spot. Uh-uh. Sorry!

I have to say, though, that there are are a few other spots where bad behavior seems to come out in folks and that's anywhere they have a poorly defined ride queue (think Haunted Mansion stretching room exit). I cannot tell you the number of folks I've had to endure pushing and shoving and outright stampeding just to gain a place or two in line.

I had this teen boy one time who was one of the last people into the elevator. He clearly was an experience HM vet, because he spent almost the entire pre-show worming his way through the crowd to make his way over to the exit doors ... where my family and I happened to be standing. I saw him working his way over and I knew what he was doing and I basically refused to get out of his way. He eventually resorted to literally wedging himself between me and the wall so he could be behind me and first out of the elevator.

I didn't exactly threaten him physically, but suffice it to say that I gave him a look and a tongue lashing that sent him skulking away in a hurry.

I swear ... common courtesy and manners are dead anymore. Everyone is out for themselves and beware anyone who would get in their way.

SBETigg
09-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I had this teen boy one time who was one of the last people into the elevator. He clearly was an experience HM vet, because he spent almost the entire pre-show worming his way through the crowd to make his way over to the exit doors ... where my family and I happened to be standing. I saw him working his way over and I knew what he was doing and I basically refused to get out of his way. He eventually resorted to literally wedging himself between me and the wall so he could be behind me and first out of the elevator.

I didn't exactly threaten him physically, but suffice it to say that I gave him a look and a tongue lashing that sent him skulking away in a hurry.

I swear ... common courtesy and manners are dead anymore. Everyone is out for themselves and beware anyone who would get in their way.

This kind of queue brings out the worst in people, I think. You can be first in the room and end up last in line- but it's still a short, fast-moving line after that, and I think people need to remember that. But many don't, and the pushing-shoving mentality kicks in. In your case, Ian, one teenage boy, I probably would have laughed and let him through. And then with my luck, he would have had ten more family members expecting to cut the line to get to him, and threatening to crack me if I was in the way. :D

elmjimmlm
09-07-2010, 09:12 AM
I don't care if someone has something wrong with me but when it comes to my kids is when I have a problem...We were in Epcot in June walking out of WS after the fireworks and my DD was run over by a stroller...She fell down and skinned her hands and knees and while I was picking her up off the ground, the lady that was pushing the stroller gave me a dirty look :mad:...My Mom was there with me and went after her and asked her why she did that and she told my Mom that she had done nothing wrong and walked off...How do you do that to a child and walk away and not own up to it? I just don't get people like that...
It did work out for my daughter...She got some Disney bandaids and a new Stitch that she had seen the day before...:)

MoreMickey
09-07-2010, 09:27 AM
This kind-of behavior is exactly why out of the 68 days we've spent in the parks we have only watched 3 parades and the one firework show.

When we do camp out the hour for a good spot we let our kids sit on the curb and then dh and i sit directly behind them. We do this because the first parade my son's hand was ran over by a stroller and then my daughter (who was only 13 months old was nugged off the curb into the street by a lady pushing her stroller closer and closer and closer.

I always tell friends when they go to park their stollers and sit/stand for the parade. A family of 4/5 can sit in the space used by 2 strollers.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, I agree that there are lots of rude people at the parks... we encountered them at parades, pushing strollers and in lines and even a rude cast member or two but most everyone was really nice so when I look back I try to focus on the good:blush:

Dsnygirl
09-07-2010, 09:38 AM
We, too, have been the recipient of bad behavior in the parks... and like most everyone else, it's been related to parades and fireworks.

When we were watching Wishes, my DH picked up my then 4yr old DD and held her up so she could see. He didn't put her on his shoulders, although I think that would have been fine -- we were in the center of the hub area in front of the castle, and seeing as the fireworks are over your head, she wouldn't have been blocking anyone's view.

But, that didn't stop a man "behind" us from asking my husband to put her down so he could see... :confused: ... seriously?? I wanted to ask him how he expected her, at 3 feet tall, to see, when he felt that as a 6ft tall person, he couldn't?? Instead, my DH just gently reminded him that the fireworks were over our heads, and there wasn't a bad view to be had, except by little children who could only see the tops of our heads if not lifted up. He didn't say anything else, but muttered under his breath a fair amount... :rolleyes:

That same trip, we also had to basically wear body armour to protect our view of the parade at MK... we got to the viewing area in Frontierland a good 45 minutes before the parade was to begin, got our girls comfortably settled in front of us, and began the wait, cold drinks in hand. As the crowds got heavier, the CM's came out and started playing games with the kids, and brought our girls out to join in. So, we did what any normal parent would do -- we stood in their spot! Well, a family with children older than ours began to shove their way through towards us (we had at least 3 lines of people behind us, and we were only aware of their shoving b/c they kept pushing the folks behind us into us...) As they got their teenage kids towards the front, the mom asked my husband and I to move so their kids could stand in front of us. Now, granted, at the time, they didn't realize we had children we were holding a spot for, and their kids were obviously shorter than us, although not by much. My DH said no, that wasn't possible b/c we were holding spots for our own children -- to which the woman replied that if they weren't able to stand in line and be patient themselves, we should just get in the back and let kids who WERE patient enough to wait see the parade!! At this point, my DH about lost it, as this family had obviously just shown up and wormed their way through... and the man in the family next to us leaned over & said, "We've all been here close to an hour, and their children were picked to go out and play the games because they were being so patient. Please go back to where you should be waiting!" I could have applauded him... it was a priceless moment. :D

I know that not everyone who goes to WDW is aware of what it takes to get good seats to shows, good views of parades, etc.... but you'd think that they would at least understand common decency and politeness, but I guess that is just not as common anymore. :(

Regardless -- based on all the comments on here, at least we have a whole community of people who are raising their kids to know the concept of those words, and hopefully it will continue to get passed on! :thumbsup:

jpH/keD
09-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Our worst rude person encounter was at AK for the Christmas parade! My DH is a big man. 6'2 and large but he does not use it for his advantage often. I was standing in front of the kids who were on the curb. He was back a ways and away from us. This stroller lady kept running over my ankles trying to get me to move so her kids could see. We had staked out our spot for over an hour and I was not moving!! When she ran over my feet for the third time they started to drip blood. My DH came over and stood beside me and she LEFT! Yeah for my hero! He will not go to ANOTHER parade now tho!

big blue and hairy
09-07-2010, 09:51 AM
I had he same type thing happen at a parade in MK. After waiting for over an hour, this lady and her kid came up and tried to push up front. I informed her that we had waited and no she didn't get to come up 5 minutes before the parade and get in front of us. After a couple of minutes I told her that her daughter was welcome to stand in front of me, since it wasn't her fault her mom couldn't plan.

:sulley:

Ian
09-07-2010, 10:00 AM
After a couple of minutes I told her that her daughter was welcome to stand in front of me, since it wasn't her fault her mom couldn't plan.If I can possibly do it, I will make an exception for young children. I figure my kids typically get to Disney twice a year at least and there are probably children there for whom it's their first and maybe only trip. I don't want them to miss out on the parade experience simply because their lazy parents couldn't be bothered to do a little research before their trip.

Most times I try really, really hard to remember that a lot of the folks who are pushing/shoving are parents who are just trying to get their kids the best experience possible. If I can help with that, without compromising the experiences of others, I will. But there have been a few times when I've gotten heated with other guests. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about things. The right way will probably get you what you want. The wrong way and you will most definitely unleash Mean Ian. :mad:

biodtl
09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
You know - it;s funny - I always feel like WDW brings out the best in my family - we are happy and relaxed and unrushed (the ride will still be there in 10 minutes if I walk instead of run). We talk to and smile at people. We try to let little ones up front to see parades, we give up seats on the buses and share space and memories. It makes me sad that it often brings out the worst in others.

mrmcgiv
09-07-2010, 10:41 AM
We were waiting for the night parade at MK, we got there in time to get a front row seat on the curb for the kids as did a family ext to us. Though it was 10PM it was still hot and being there 20 mins ealry I went to get drinks as did the guy next to us. Well the family next to us were all sitting (mom and 2 kids) while the dad went to get drinks. They had their single stroller next to them(the child from the stroller was on the moms lap and may have want to go back in the stroller) and the stroleer was where the dad was standing. I was back from getting drinks. he was still gone. A guy and his older son comes up and says to me in disgust do you really need all of thsi room, referencing the other family's stroller and moves it and gets hmself right on front. I told him it was not my stroller it belomged to the other family. He acts like a jerk and says the same thing to her. He is looking at me as if I am going to side with him. I said to him that we have all been waiting here 15 mins now and if that spot where the stroller was had not been taken I would have taken it - 15 mins ago. Our kids were up front we were behind them! He tries to pick the stroller up and move it again - was nasty and eventually just left - thank goodness!

Also during the stage show at MK we had great spots. Well I gues the dad in front of us did not have the perfect view for his precious little daughter once the hsow started so he moved from next to us and squeezed right in front of my 4 foot 3 inch son while he held his daughter up to see the show - nice! Glad we got there 15 mins early so this yahoo could show up last minute and have a perfect view. Yes, we saved this spot just for you and your daughter buddy....not like I wanted my child to see the show too!

ncrohrs
09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Had a guy during our last Feb 2008 trip run into my daughter while trying to score a good parade spot. He had his kid on his shoulders and was so oblivious to the fact that he almost knocked down a 6 year old!

My husband, who does not just sit back during such things, made a loud, but not obnoxious comment to this guy to watch it! The guy looked back, embarrassed, and kept going.

Had we not been at Disney my husband probably would have done more!

People just don't watch, everyone needs to get there NOW, I hate when rude people do such things. Overall, we had a great time, this was the only rude guy during our whole stay thank goodness.

MagicalGuest
09-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Through the years I've had too many rude encounters with fellow guests — and a few CMs — to count. My family tries to laugh them off (similar to the "Beep Beep" lady mentioned in this thread) because it's the only way to deal with them. Eventually, they all fade away in memory.

But the people we continue to remember are the really nice ones we meet. My favorite was a woman on a very crowded monorail 11 years ago. I was about 7 months pregnant and didn't have a seat and it was a really hot day. She told her son (about 12) to get up and let me sit. When he became a bit sullen about it, as all 12-year-olds would, she lectured him politely about how difficult it is to be pregnant, especially in the heat, and that she always expected him to be a gentleman. I've since used her example with my own son, now almost 11. All these years later, I'd like to thank her again for her kindness!

BigRedDad
09-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Rude encounters should be expected. As a country, we do not teach respect any more. Everyone thinks they are entitled. This mentality starts with parents. It is also geographical as well. There are certain areas in the US where people are more disrespectful than others. There are also many other countries that lack respect when they visit.

Personally, I just grin and bear it. I am going through a phase with my 4yo who insists that it is proper to greet people by snorting like a pig.

Joannelet
09-07-2010, 11:53 AM
As a country, we do not teach respect any more. Everyone thinks they are entitled. This mentality starts with parents.

This is soo true!! Everyone does think that they are entitled to get the best seat, to get on the ride first, etc. It's really sad but you have to feel sorry for these people because there is more to life than just beating other people. If they learn to slow down they may enjoy life more and start to see the value of others rather than just themselves.

I am going through a phase with my 4yo who insists that it is proper to greet people by snorting like a pig.

This made me laugh out loud. :) Maybe your 4 yr old is on to something...Maybe the people that are rude should all be greeted this way...:) LOL

On a side note:
I know I would say something if these things happened to me or my family. I would handle it rather calmly. I cannot say the same for my hubby...that type of stuff sends him off the deep end. But I have realized when I do say something I feel better...if I don't I harp on it all day and it ruins my time.

TikiLounger
09-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, this has already been covered in this thread but I have to comment. Flash photography on Pirates of the Caribbean. We (my family and I ) have a BIG problem with people who take flash pictures during this ride. So annoying. It pretty much ruins the ride for everyone else. I really wish that people would be more considerate. Also, any other instances of rude behavior in the parks that I can remember seem to revolve around strollers and tour groups. There's definitely a pattern, here.

seanyred
09-07-2010, 12:37 PM
I remeber another time when we were staying at Kidani Village. We got on the bus and headed over to the orignail AK Lodge Jambo. I had my DS stroller folded up and in the seat next to me near the front of the bus. When folks started to get on at Jambo the bus started to fill up. I was about to move the stroller and make room for the final person but before I had a chance the lady made a rude comment about how the stroller gets a seat. Needless to say I ended up not moving the stroller. I know that the right thing to do would be to still make room but I'm sorry if your going to make a rude comment you can't expect to get what you want.

LauraF
09-07-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree - there is a right way and a wrong way to get ahead in lines.

Right way - Parents with kid in a stroller asked if they could move ahead of my spouse and I when in line for the monorail, because it was past their child's bedtime. Sure, that's fine. they asked nicely, and the little one was obviously exhausted. (And it had the added benefit of me not having to share a car with a scremaing toddler.)

Wrong way - teenage boy pushed past my mother when walking down the street in Tomorrowland and hit her so hard trying to squeeze past that her shoulder was dislocated. (We didn't realize until later, since she had broken it a few weeks back and it was already numb. Otherwise that kid and I would have had words with Security!)

Simple policy - show me manners and I will do the same. Or as grandpappy used to say "respect is earned, not given kiddo."

DisneyLuver91
09-07-2010, 01:27 PM
But, that didn't stop a man "behind" us from asking my husband to put her down so he could see... :confused: ... seriously?? I wanted to ask him how he expected her, at 3 feet tall, to see, when he felt that as a 6ft tall person, he couldn't?? Instead, my DH just gently reminded him that the fireworks were over our heads, and there wasn't a bad view to be had, except by little children who could only see the tops of our heads if not lifted up. He didn't say anything else, but muttered under his breath a fair amount... :rolleyes:

In all honesty, I would have asked your husband to put the kid down, too. I have a pet peeve of having taller people in front of me, especially when in a theater. Even if the fireworks are in the sky, they are not necessarily overhead, but tend to be more in front of you. I see no harm in holding your child up to see the fireworks, but not on the shoulders. Maybe just hold them at your chest or on a hip?

cer
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM

The fact that there even exists a Jerry Springer show speaks volumes...

Unfortunately, bad behavior no longer surprises me - even at Disney. I am still disgusted by it, but not surprised. :(

T-Belle
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
My "rude person" experience happened several years ago when my children were school age. It was July and very hot and we stopped in Diamond Horseshoe for some cool drinks and a break. I sat with the kids while my husband got our order. He had a tray with 5 large drinks. As he was making his way back through the crowd he had to stop because his path was blocked by a couple that was having a very heated argument. The woman's back was to my husband and she became very animated and started backing up right into my DH. The drinks went everywhere-on her, my dh and the floor. She whirled around and just glared at my husband. No apology-nothing! And then she just stormed away!!!

DiannaJ
09-07-2010, 06:38 PM
My grandmother is in a wheel chair so I know some of the problems that occur which are numerous. People who stop right in front of us to look at there maps instead of stepping out of the way of everyone so as not to block the pathway. Those who stop and turn around suddenly and end up falling over my grandmothers wheelchair or into her lap. Mind you she is 91 years old and has had a stroke and couldn't stop there fall...this has happened so many times I have lost count. Now for the other things..people with the strollers running them into the backs of your ankles..ON PURPOSE to get you moving faster...ouch..::mad: ...and for the topper..those that go to the parades or fireworks that send there small children to the front and then tell you they need to get past you to get there kids and end up sitting in front of you pushing you out of your spot...notice that these are usually the Europeans and they are extremely rude when you tell them they can't stay there and they cuss at you. I have had to get security to have them move and they always kick you as they leave. Security does nothing about the assault they just did on you. The bad thing about this is that I have gotten to the point where I have to be rude too and I don't like being like that a Disney but if you don't they just run over you. If Disney did something about all of this when you complained I wouldn't have to be this way but they don't seem to care.

LynBug
09-07-2010, 08:02 PM
If Disney did something about all of this when you complained I wouldn't have to be this way but they don't seem to care.

I don't see it as Disney not caring. The amount of people in the parks is so massive I'm sure it's hard to keep track of everyone in the parks. I agree, if a CM sees someone shoving or cussing at someone, they should stop them. I have personally never had a bad experience with a CM. They have all been very pleasant and friendly to my family and myself! I think it would be impossible for CMs to stop every rude person in the parks

Dsnygirl
09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
In all honesty, I would have asked your husband to put the kid down, too. I have a pet peeve of having taller people in front of me, especially when in a theater. Even if the fireworks are in the sky, they are not necessarily overhead, but tend to be more in front of you. I see no harm in holding your child up to see the fireworks, but not on the shoulders. Maybe just hold them at your chest or on a hip?

Not trying to be a pain, but if you look back at my post, I did say that my DH was holding our 4yr old up in his arms, albeit a bit high in his arms, but NOT on his shoulders. (I also said I wouldn't have had a problem w/ it, based on where we were standing, but he didn't...) Just wanted to clarify.... ;)

Disney Doll
09-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Mine's a parade story as well. This was several years back, but the audacity of the woman we encountered made an impression. We were watching the parade in MK. Ropes were up and the parade was running by. In between floats a woman dashes across the street nearly getting run down by parade vehicles as CMs dash after her. It was packed on both sides of the street so once she got across there was no place for her to go. People squeeze aside to let her pass as she is seriously in the way of the parade. She quickly does an about face with her stroller and presto best seats in the park. The people she had outed were a very frail looking elderly couple and I feel certain that she identified them as easy targets which really made me mad. We were watching this from across the street and my husband was ready to follow after her to have words about the way she treated that poor couple. A man standing near her made a comment to her I don't know what was said or what she replied, but she didn't move. It was just amazing to me that anyone would feel okay about doing that.

Ian
09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't see it as Disney not caring. The amount of people in the parks is so massive I'm sure it's hard to keep track of everyone in the parks. I agree, if a CM sees someone shoving or cussing at someone, they should stop them. I have personally never had a bad experience with a CM. They have all been very pleasant and friendly to my family and myself! I think it would be impossible for CMs to stop every rude person in the parksMmmm ... I disagree to an extent. Back in the day, Disney was very, very dilligent about policing the behavior of their guests. No bad behavior was tolerated at all. I saw folks kicked out for any number of infractions, including cutting in line, using bad language, littering, and being rude or abusive towards staff.

But now, though, there is definitely an "it's not worth it" attitude among the CM's. And this isn't speculation ... virtually ever CM I know will admit that they are very reluctant to ever confront/eject a guest because the feeling is that management always sides with the guest and that the CM will just get in trouble and not be supported so there's no upside to it.

MNNHFLTX
09-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Ah yes, parades bring out the worst in some people (manner-wise). :shake:

Aside from that, I don't recall a lot of encounters with rude people. There was one time in the Carousel of Progress where a man proceeded to talk loudly (and I do mean loudly!) on his cellphone while his wife was snapping pictures using flash during the show. The finally stopped after several people in the audience around them told them too (also loudly, because that apparently was the only way to get through to them). And people who leave their mouse-ears or other hat on while sitting in a theater (like Philharmonic) bug me, but in most cases they probably just forget it's on their head. :shrug:

BandMan
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
Although this isn't a specific incident, I can't remember the number of times that people stop in the middle of the row after specifically being told not to. ("Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." :sam: ) I know that there are some there that don't speak English, but when they're speaking together in English and stop and sit down in the middle ... :mad:

We often go to WDW with our best friends. When this happens to them, they climb past the offenders and "accidently" step on their feet and/or clip them with a backpack. Not nice? Well, don't stop there!

Renfairwedding
09-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Although this isn't a specific incident, I can't remember the number of times that people stop in the middle of the row after specifically being told not to.

I have "wheeled" over a few toes in the standing movie atractions. I never try to but room is tight.

Ian
09-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Another I just thought of ...

Anyone who texts/chats/talks/surfs or in any other way shape or form uses a cell phone/iPhone/Blackberry or any other handheld device while watching a show/movie/film/performance/etc.

I sat behind this twit at CP a couple years ago who sat there clicking on his Blackberry the entire time. It was dark, so the light from his screen shone directly into my eyes the entire time and was completely and totally distracting. Not to mention the constant clicking of the keys.

I swear it was all I could do not to grab the thing out of his hands and toss it out into the bushes. I was this close more than once. :mad:

badkitty
09-08-2010, 05:13 PM
But now, though, there is definitely an "it's not worth it" attitude among the CM's. And this isn't speculation ... virtually ever CM I know will admit that they are very reluctant to ever confront/eject a guest because the feeling is that management always sides with the guest and that the CM will just get in trouble and not be supported so there's no upside to it.

And I have seen bad behavior in guests rewarded with discounts and fastpasses just to quiet down the offending party.

badkitty
09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Another I just thought of ...

Anyone who texts/chats/talks/surfs or in any other way shape or form uses a cell phone/iPhone/Blackberry or any other handheld device while watching a show/movie/film/performance/etc.

I sat behind this twit at CP a couple years ago who sat there clicking on his Blackberry the entire time. It was dark, so the light from his screen shone directly into my eyes the entire time and was completely and totally distracting. Not to mention the constant clicking of the keys.

I swear it was all I could do not to grab the thing out of his hands and toss it out into the bushes. I was this close more than once. :mad:

This is probably my biggest issue with this technology age. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until after the show? I survived growing up making phone calls when I returned to the hotel room or using a pay phone. I totally get that some folks wouldn't be able to go to WDW if they didn't bring work along but if it is work related, don't enter the theatre. There are plenty of places to conduct business that don't take away the magic for other guests.

Ian
09-08-2010, 06:39 PM
And I have seen bad behavior in guests rewarded with discounts and fastpasses just to quiet down the offending party.Yep. Me too. Saw it just my last trip as a matter of fact.

This is probably my biggest issue with this technology age. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until after the show? I survived growing up making phone calls when I returned to the hotel room or using a pay phone. I totally get that some folks wouldn't be able to go to WDW if they didn't bring work along but if it is work related, don't enter the theatre. There are plenty of places to conduct business that don't take away the magic for other guests.I'm the poster child for staying connected with the office when I'm on vacation, but there is no way I would read email or in any way use my iPhone during a dark show. It's just rude. To your point, if it can't wait then leave the show!

Carolanne
09-08-2010, 07:38 PM
But now, though, there is definitely an "it's not worth it" attitude among the CM's. And this isn't speculation ... virtually ever CM I know will admit that they are very reluctant to ever confront/eject a guest because the feeling is that management always sides with the guest and that the CM will just get in trouble and not be supported so there's no upside to it. I'm not saying I don't think this is true--I believe this as true--but it never crossed my mind that this is why Disney is so lax in confronting bad behavior. Trust, I'm familiar with feeling that management won't back you up, despite them insisting they will: "don't argue with them, do your job as best as you can, but don't engage them, come get a supervisor & we'll back you up." And then about 75% of the time the supervisor will offer a workaround solution to the customer...and you end up feeling like an idiot. Now if a supervisor is necessary I just say, "let me get a supervisor for you--I can't help you, but maybe he/she can do something for you." I get to save some kind of face that way.

I actually kind of assumed it was more of a "safety for the CM" issue. It seems like people (guests) get angry a lot faster these days than they did, say, 10 to 15 yrs ago. I figured maybe the CM's were told not to get involved unless the behavior was dangerous/life threatening. Buuut again, I can also see the lack of intervention as the result of a "why bother" feeling. Why bother if the offending party is going to get rewarded for bad behavior.

Maybe 12 years ago we encountered some rude behavior at (sigh) a parade. We were maybe 6 inches away from the curb (in front of the Emporioum), had been there maybe 45 mins when a family came up & stood right in front of us. On the curb. My sister rather sternly asked them to move & explained that we had been there a while; the mother motioned that she didn't understand what my sister was saying & then turned away from her. My sister got a CM, who then moved the family from that location.

Other rude behavior: these 2 happened maybe 7 yrs ago within days of each other. The first: 2 pre-teen/teen girls dropped their breakfast tray as they left the platter station; rather than making an attempt to pick up what they dropped or alerting a CM to the spill, they screamed, laughed, and then ran off. The 2nd: in the resort gift shop, 2 other girls accidentally knocked over a display of stuffed dolls; one took off, the other attempted to pick them up, and then their chaperone came along & told her to leave it because "that's what they get paid to do here." :shake:

LVT
09-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I tend to think some of the problem is too many people. People in wheelchairs and ECVs require a lot more space to move, turn or hold still. Even the strollers take much more space than the child.
The capacity may not be correct these days.
(I suppose the bottom line rules and we cannot get more Fantasmic, etc. to handle the crowds)
On another angle, I take up much more space than I did even 10 years ago!

WDWdriver
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM

Confirmed. We can still confront a guest about smoking in a non-smoking area. But for other guest behavior problems we cannot be assured of support by our managers. There are no guidelines issued to CMs about what to do about inappropriate guest behavior. And when a manager is called into an on-going confrontation between a CM and a guest, the guest will most likely walk away with fastpasses or some other form of compensation.

Ian
09-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Confirmed. We can still confront a guest about smoking in a non-smoking area. But for other guest behavior problems we cannot be assured of support by our managers. There are no guidelines issued to CMs about what to do about inappropriate guest behavior. And when a manager is called into an on-going confrontation between a CM and a guest, the guest will most likely walk away with fastpasses or some other form of compensation.Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's ridiculous. Disney World management is a joke. :ack:

Thought of two other bad behavior instances very much worth sharing (although I've talked extensively about these before) ...

Always amazes me how blatantly bad parenting is on display in Disney World. I'm not sure if people just adopt an "anything goes' mentality when they're on what they consider a once-in-a-lifetime vacation, if they're just not paying attention because they're distracted by all that's going on, or if they're truly bad parents, but ....

I'm standing outside Casey's one day and there is a girl about 10 who's got some french fries and is eyeing up some nearby ducks. She says to her Mom, "Mom, can I feed the ducks?" The Mom absently goes, "Sure, honey" not apparently noticing that the daughter is literally leaning on a sign that says PLEASE DON'T FEED THE DUCKS!

That one was bad enough, but the other one is almost unreal ... saw a guy with his little boy of about 4 in Magic Kingdom once. Dad had the boy with his pants down going "number one" in a bush! Now here's the really bad part ... he did it in the bushes next to the Plaza Restaurant, which are (say it with me) directly outside of a restroom!!!

That guy almost got a tongue lashing from me, but at the last minute I decided it wasn't worth the risk of getting booted from the park and possibly losing my AP.

Ksmith75
09-09-2010, 10:16 AM
You know - it;s funny - I always feel like WDW brings out the best in my family - we are happy and relaxed and unrushed (the ride will still be there in 10 minutes if I walk instead of run). We talk to and smile at people. We try to let little ones up front to see parades, we give up seats on the buses and share space and memories. It makes me sad that it often brings out the worst in others.

That is great! That is the same way DH and I are. As for parades and fireworks - we avoided them for the first 3 years we went to avoid crowds. This year we did the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage (booked it for Feb next year too), and the Wishes Dessert Party....it was great, the only crowds we had to deal with was leaving the MK after the Dessert Party. And we had a good spot at Reflections, we waited 45 minutes at our spot and had no problems (except it was windy and we had some fireworks debris flying at us...lol).

PinKy
09-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I think its the nature of how people behave in large crowds. MOST people have common sense and manners - but a few can really ruin it for the people around them.

We had someone shove a very large sharp box (had a toy castle in it) in my 5 month old's face while shopping once - it cut him around his right eye and we ended up having to go to a first-aid station at WDW. The man didn't even slow down even though everyone around him was gasping - I actually screamed. We ran after the man but couldn't find him in the crowds. Didn't even get an "is your baby ok??" from a cast member either. We REALLY considered whether or not to go to WDW the next year with small children - we weren't sure how safe it would be for them. We ended up going back but were rather nervous about the crowds ...... now I am like a hawk-parent about my kids there - I don't let them even NEAR anyone that might be able to swing around and hurt them and we don't do anything where we might be in a crowd because of that. (we miss a lot of parades - but the fireworks we can see from our balcony usually!) It was an accident - but accidents happen in crowds like that all the time.

Plex
09-09-2010, 04:02 PM
I've had a few bad encounters in the parks as well, mostly in heavy crowds during fireworks and parades. Honestly I do expect these sorts of thing to happen now and then. There's a lot of people in the world that are just jerks, and tight crowds bring out the worst in people.

Really one the opposite side of things... 99.999% of people I've encountered at WDW have been very nice folks!

MissMaryPoppins
09-09-2010, 07:07 PM
I was in the Magic Kingdom about a month ago on a very hot and humid day. Everyone in the park seemed edgy from the weather which I can understand. I'm not crazy about it either. I was making my way across Liberty Square with one of my cousins when this man on an ECV cuts across the crowd to get into the hall of presidents. He came inches from going over my toes and I had to stop so fast that I almost caused people to fall into eachother. I usually don't get upset but that really set me off. I told the guy to watch where he was going and he looked at me and waved his hand as if to say "shut up" and I told him "Don't wave at me. You're not the one whose feet were almost crushed." The guy and his family just laughed at me.

Another time I had just gotten into the Studios with my brother. We were on way to the Brown Derby and it had just poured and the ground was slippery so we were walking pretty slowly. We suddenly saw this guy running on the sidewalk and when he got in front of the 5 & 10 he pushed a little girl and made her fall. He just kept on running and as he reached the curb he slipped and landed on the ground really hard. My brother and I burst out laughing when we got a little farther away. The guy got what he deserved. There's no reason a grown man should knock off a poor little girl.

DiannaJ
09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Where have we lost ourselves when it comes to manners???? I was born in the 60's and my parents taught us and most everyone I was raised with manners and to be polite but somewhere between us and the next generation that seems to have taken a huge downturn. I know that since we were taught these things that they should have been passed along too our children too but it seems that that was lost between generations...It is extemely sad that we treat each other like this and I don't know at this point it can ever be turned around and corrected but those of us that still observe manners should step up a correct those that see no problem in there behavior. I know that most peole won't confront people for fear that they will start and argument or even worse a fight with this rude behavior but if more people stood up and backed up those who come and assist them then the problem would not esclalate and those people would be embarrassed and hopefully correct there behavior...we can only hope.

kemps@wdw
09-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't believe it's the need to see the parades, or the fireworks, or impatience that makes some people overly rude and obnoxios. There are millions that come to WDW that don't behave that way! If they're rude and obnoxious while they're at WDW, you can bet the they were that way long before they got there! :fit:

BigRedDad
09-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Where have we lost ourselves when it comes to manners????

When respect is demanded or you get shot by a 12 year, drug dealing, gang member.

I cannot pinpoint a specific time period, but I was born in the 70s and I think it is a generation just after mine. I think much of it has to do with both parents working, 20-something grandmothers, lack of role models, and the general dumbing down of our population. Because we have the worst education of the industrialized nations, we lower the standards to make it appear we have a viable education system. Babies having babies.

A lot has to do with which part of the US you are from. Stereotypes for certain locations in the US are not far off the point for many. I lived in South FL where it was "compete with the Jonses". I moved to NC and everyone is willing to give you the shirt off their back. Good ole Southern Hospitality. Further up the coast, you get to NY and NJ where attitudes are completely different. Move out to the west coast and everyone is very liberal. Midwest have many Bible Belt mentalities. When these different attitudes mingle in a place like WDW, they tend to clash greatly. Add in foreigners and it gets worse.

I am definitely no saint and I can get taken to my limits. It takes a lot to get to me and very few people I know have witnessed that point. Ever since I had my daughter, I find myself asking WWJD in most situations? I am not a very religious, but it helps sort things out before taking action.

Zawadi
09-12-2010, 07:59 AM
When respect is demanded or you get shot by a 12 year, drug dealing, gang member....

Recently a UK fictional TV series called "The Bill", about life at a London Met Police station, ended after 26 years with a speech about respect delivered by the Chief Superintendant

"somewhere along the line, someone changed the meaning of the word. You earn respect now through power, fear, money, the blade of a knife. Yesterday, one of my officers was held at gun point and today he reported for duty as normal - that's respect...."

danson4
09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
My rude experience happened during extra magic hours at DHS. We had been going all day and were rather tired. Still it had been a great day so we thought we might cruise on over to take advantage of as much "magic" as we could. We are standing in line waiting to get our wrist bands. I was looking at a map and turned around as the line with my wife advanced forward. I rushed forward to avoid the gap when boom smacked into another lady who was trying to get in that gap. Really it was no more than a tap and quite an honest accident. I apologized, trying to be a gentleman when the whole thing was obviously not my fault. She went on to give me the dirtiest look and tongue lashing I had had in quite a while stating how if I wasn't in such a hurry I wouldn't have to go around hurting people. The whole time moaning in "pain" as she continued to rub her shoulder. Obviously the long day had taken a toll on her and her wheelchair bound elderly mother. I apologized yet once again feeling bad yet a bit annoyed as it was as much her fault as it was mine. She wasn't having it and continued to moan as though I had broken her shoulder or something. It was obvious to me that she was not having fun and was the kind of person who would always find something to complain about as she was just a miserable person in general. It finally got the better of me and I had had it with her drama, told her to "get over it already" and hightailed it to the exit. The "magic" had officially ended for me thanks to her and her over dramatic rants. :(

BigRedDad
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
You should have asked how she jumped in the line between you and your wife. Complain how much her cutting in line hurt you because she should not have been there.

I would have made a very loud statement that if she didn't cut between you and your wife, she would have never hurt your whatever instead.

BellesRose
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
The biggest issue for me is that people don't control their kids. Which makes it super scary to think of how things will be in 20 years from now. I just got back and the kids are unbelievable. The parents ignored them as they ran all over and hit and kicked and punched and screamed in line. One child sneezed all over someone in front of me...completely sprayed the woman. She started yelling (With good reason) and the parents just looked at her. Kids kept stepping on us and running into us and swinging on the bars in line. Do they not teach manners in other countries?

DisneyNut6777
09-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes, its bad out there. Everywhere. I can only speak for me. I was born in 1967. My parents raises me well. I work in a Hotel in TN, and deal with people everyday. Even though I see rude crazy behavior everyday, it still amazes me. Children here in the lobby climbing the furniture, running and screaming. It just did not happen when I was that age. Its not to say I did'nt try it, I am sure I did as a kid. But when Dad or Mom said enough, that was all it took. Sometimes here at work the parents don't even pay attention to the kids, they seem as if they could care less. Adults are bad too. Behaviors in my opinion are taught and learned. My experience at WDW was also a parade, parents just letting their kids swing and pull on the rope line no matter who the rope was hitting, even after the CM asked them to stop. I like to think I have patience, and am a peaceful man. I have a hard time tolerating stupidity, and rude disrespectful people. I am glad my wife usually keeps a firm hand on me when the idiots come out. I will not have a vacation ruined due to idiocy/rudeness. I can get over being irked pretty quickly, but I prefer to not get irked at all. My choice I suppose, it is hard sometimes.:D I have been trying to perfect Spock's Vulcan Nerve Pinch, but no success yet. Honestly Mickey, he just passed out right in front of me.:D:D JK:D

MNNHFLTX
09-13-2010, 10:50 AM
I have heard a lot of people referring to questionable manners related to visitors from other countries and I would caution against these generalizations. Having visited quite a few countries outside of the U.S., I can tell you that many people there consider Americans themselves to be rude and ill-mannered. So I guess the lesson from all this is that there are rude people from every country, every age, every walk of life, every socioeconomic group and that will never change. The most we can do is endeavor to be respectful and considerate members of society and to ignore the rest.

Stu29573
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM
There was really only one time when something struck me as a bit rude. My bride and I were in line for TSM and there was a group of teenagers behind us. My wife and I are closer to 50 than 40, by the way. Anyway, one of the girls in the group looked us over, saw our Honeymoon buttons and said (in a sarcastic tone) "Does this place make you feel young or something?" I simply said that it did, actually. The thought that sprang to mind was, "I don't know, does it make you feel smart?" but I refrained. Anyway, I wrote it off as youthful stupidity (which there seems to be no lack of).

Ian
09-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I have heard a lot of people referring to questionable manners related to visitors from other countries and I would caution against these generalizations. Having visited quite a few countries outside of the U.S., I can tell you that many people there consider Americans themselves to be rude and ill-mannered. So I guess the lesson from all this is that there are rude people from every country, every age, every walk of life, every socioeconomic group and that will never change. The most we can do is endeavor to be respectful and considerate members of society and to ignore the rest.A very good point ... it actually has more to do (I think) with what behaviors are culturally considered unacceptable than it does this nation's rude vs. this nation isn't.

I can definitely tell you that I rarely have issues with folks from abroad in WDW. It's almost always "my fellow Americans."

BigRedDad
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I have heard a lot of people referring to questionable manners related to visitors from other countries and I would caution against these generalizations.

You hit the nail on the head. We in the US have an ego. The US society has changed to a "ME" mentality. It is all about getting higher up the ladder no matter who you step on to get there.

We need to go back to the lessons taught from Little House on the Prairie. Instead, our children are getting lessons for $45M Sweet 16 Parties on MTV.

brivers222
09-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Where have we lost ourselves when it comes to manners????

When parents can no longer discipline their kids without running the risk of the kids callling social services on their parents. Thats when manners went out the window.

BigRedDad
09-13-2010, 02:37 PM
When parents can no longer discipline their kids without running the risk of the kids callling social services on their parents. Thats when manners went out the window.

There is a lot to be said on this. Our group of friends in our neighborhood ran into this exact situation. One of our friend's wife got a job with Social Services. If she see a parent/guardian spank or discipline a child, she is required by law to call 911 and do what she can to remove the child from the parents until police arrive. This happened at our neighborhood pool. Needless-to-say, no one socializes with her, she is ostracized in the neighborhood. The parents that lightly spanked their child at the pool were arrested, children were taken by Social Services, and someone had to be found to take care of the children until the matter was resolved afterwords.

Stu29573
09-13-2010, 03:17 PM
There is a lot to be said on this. Our group of friends in our neighborhood ran into this exact situation. One of our friend's wife got a job with Social Services. If she see a parent/guardian spank or discipline a child, she is required by law to call 911 and do what she can to remove the child from the parents until police arrive. This happened at our neighborhood pool. Needless-to-say, no one socializes with her, she is ostracized in the neighborhood. The parents that lightly spanked their child at the pool were arrested, children were taken by Social Services, and someone had to be found to take care of the children until the matter was resolved afterwords.

I think she may be taking her position a little over the top. I've been an elementary school counselor for twelve years now and I work with social services regularly. I can honestly say that, at least in the states I have worked with, spanking a child will not get you arrested, or even talked to. There is a very clear line between discipline and abuse. Abuse involves cuts, bruises, broken bones, neglect in basic needs such as food or sanitation, and it is VERY obvious. Spanking or disciplining a child is not, and has never been, abuse. I can't speak to the nutty cases you read about in the news, but only to my own years of real life experience...

MNNHFLTX
09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
A very good point ... it actually has more to do (I think) with what behaviors are culturally considered unacceptable than it does this nation's rude vs. this nation isn't.Exactly.

Ksmith75
09-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I was born in 1975 and I do think that it all started going down hill shortly after my age group. Today some kids,teens and some early 20 somethings...(some not all) just say whatever they want with no consideration of other's feelings. They have the mentality of "i am allowed to have an opinion and speak my mind"...but honestly, you dont have to say everything you think....I was always taught "If you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything". Not that I am an angel, but seriously....if what you say is only going to make a situation worse, just dont say it.

grumpyguy
09-14-2010, 07:00 AM
The rudest?Smokers in none designated areas.:mad:Just don't seem to fit in such a clean place.Don't kill me guys,didn't intend to start anything here,just answering the question.:mickey:

Mousefever
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I think she may be taking her position a little over the top. I've been an elementary school counselor for twelve years now and I work with social services regularly. I can honestly say that, at least in the states I have worked with, spanking a child will not get you arrested, or even talked to. There is a very clear line between discipline and abuse. Abuse involves cuts, bruises, broken bones, neglect in basic needs such as food or sanitation, and it is VERY obvious. Spanking or disciplining a child is not, and has never been, abuse. I can't speak to the nutty cases you read about in the news, but only to my own years of real life experience...

I also agree that there is a line between discipline and abuse, but I think it has a lot to do with whether or not the parent is in control of his or her emotions. There is a huge difference between using a spank here and there as a planned consequence to certain behaviors and wailing on a child because you've lost your temper. An out of control parent is very scary for a child, even if there is no spanking involved.

For some reason, I have a hard time remembering many rude encounters in the parks. At the risk of being Pollyannaish, I generally notice and remember the positive encounters I've had. I think that's just how my brain is wired. Plus, if a problem situation does come up, I do respond to it, but I try to use diplomacy. (Notice I said TRY.) It's amazing how much better people respond if they're not on the defensive. I try to remind myself, "The only behavior I can control is my own."

Amy

johnO
09-14-2010, 10:14 PM
We've had a few.

Once we were inside "Minnie's Houese" with our daughter when an entire family began to force their way by everyone. No "Excuse us" or anything. Litterally pushing passed people in line including DW, DD and I. I'm usually a very reserved and quite guy outside of work. But in this instance, I let loose.

On another occasion, we were resort hopping and checking out CSR. We were leaving and got onto the bus. A man, his wife and their small child (3ish) boarded the bus. They must have been having some kind of 'tiff' because the guy couldn't refrain from using explitives loud enough for the entire bus to hear. Thankfully he shut himself down before I let my mouth loose once again, not to insert myself into their private family business, but to end his disgusting display infront of my family and the others on board the bus. With how angry he was, it probably would've sent him over the edge and something else may have ensued...

BandMan
09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I work in a small high school in rural WI. Every day I deal with children who are as polite and well-spoken as you could wish for. Unfortunately, I also work with children who are rude, self-centered and thoughtless. After 20+ years in education, I can tell you the difference: parents.

It makes little difference the child's race, religion, economic status, or even intelligence. Parents who insist on manners and consistently enforce rules have polite children. Those who don't have rude children. Sadly, this often bites them in the ... uh ... back, because they learn late that their children are ill-mannered and unpleasant. It's sad when parents realize this and you see the pain of regret in their faces. :(

DD turned 18 on Monday, and her mother and I could not be prouder of what a polite, refined and well-spoken young lady she is. :number1:

So to all of you young parents out there, repeat after me: :drill: "MAY I have some, PLEASE .... No, THANK YOU ... EXCUSE ME, may I get through, PLEASE ... " :thumbsup:

BedknobsandBroomsticks
09-16-2010, 09:56 AM
We've had experiences like these too but I'll relay a karmic backlash you'll like. We were at a water park (not disney). We got there at opening and so we went to the wave pool and left our stuff on a chair. Now we have 4 people in our party this day and we took 1 chair! I never believe in being a hog. We knew this was just a place to leave our towels and clothes. We came back at lunch time with our lunch to share our 1 chair to eat and this giant group of 15 or more teenagers was sitting on our stuff, had backpacks thrown all over it and eating, dripping mustard etc. Well my 13 year old daughter wanted me to get into with them. I didn't feel comfortable with that. They were big guys. After a while this big loud lady next to me said "hey, that isn't your chair these people were here first". I guess she felt they would give her any **** because she outweighed them by like 200 pounds. I could've kissed her. They said "where are we supposed to eat?" I thought to myself, how about putting your towel on the ground. That is what I would have my kids do. Well here's the good part. They came back again later with "Dippin Dot's" and one of them sat on the head end of a lounger that was laid flat. When my daughter's friend got up to leave, welll..... you guessed it. The chair flipped up in the air because you are not supposed to sit on that end, and all his dots went flying. My daughter's friend had no idea this would happen either by the way. We laughed our behinds off all the way out of park. Sometimes "what goes around..."

stephntampa
09-18-2010, 08:56 AM
My DS and me were at MK last night. We were entering the queue (sp?) for Snow White when a man walking up casually SPIT on the ground. EWWW! I was definitely disgusted and offended by it!:ack:

Goofy Fan
09-20-2010, 03:45 PM
This happened on our trip last month and it has to do with people not moving all the way to the end of the row in shows.

We were going into the Indy Stunt Show and we found great seats near the front. Unfortunately, a family of 4 decided to sit on the very end of the row, blocking the entire middle section of seating. Well, we decided not to let that bother us and proceeded to crawl over these people to reach the available seating. They didn't take too kind to us moving past them and started mumbling under their breath and making snide comments at us about there being "plenty of seats elsewhere in the theater." I was going to let it go, but when they started harassing us about it, I lost it. I turned around and very loud repeated the same tired speech the CMs give about moving all the way to the end of the row. It was something along the lines of "well, if you would have moved to the end of the row like they tell you to, then maybe we wouldn't be crawling over you - that's how they do things here."

It must have worked because they shut up after that.

Ian
09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I'll admit it ... when I encounter the "distinctly un-patriotic" folks who plop down in the middle of a row and don't move down I make a point out of tromping on their feet on my way by. I also make sure to make as much of a production out of getting past them as possible ... I'll "accidentally" whack them with a bag, fall in their laps, whatever.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves simply because it displays such a self-centered disregard for other people.

darthmacho
09-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I'll admit it ... when I encounter the "distinctly un-patriotic" folks who plop down in the middle of a row and don't move down I make a point out of tromping on their feet on my way by. I also make sure to make as much of a production out of getting past them as possible ... I'll "accidentally" whack them with a bag, fall in their laps, whatever.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves simply because it displays such a self-centered disregard for other people.

What these morons don't realize as well is that all the seats are usually good views, and that the far end of the row offers the best chance to exit ahead of the croud. I often seek out these choice seats. I certainly don't want to be stuck in the middle of a huge crush. :mickey:

darthmacho
09-20-2010, 05:10 PM
On my last trip, we were waiting in front of the Mexico Pavilion for them to open it, and there was a small crowd there with us, and the "queue" was informal at best, but mostly as you see at all park openings, just people milling about. Well this one woman approached with her husband and a toddler and said to me rather curtly, "Are you in line?" Now I had just overheard this woman verbally running down her husband for some reason that I don't know, and the tone of her question didn't endear me to her at all. Still, I remained polite and replied, "It's not really a formal line, we're all just waiting for it to open," To which she replied, dripping with venom, "It looks like a line to me!"
I supressed a flash of anger and replied snarkily, "Save your sass for your husband, lady." and when I looked at him for a reaction, he had such and embarrassed beaten down look that I took pity on him, and turned my attention towards Mexico, which was now opening, and ignored the woman's reply, so I have no idea what she was saying at that point.
If it was anywhere else but WDW...lol :flame:

JerseyDad
09-20-2010, 11:47 PM

.....I'm pretty sure that you and I...were separated at birth!!! :thumbsup:

....but my biggest "peeve"...however...are the people in scooters. Whether they are ones that are truly disabled...or just those that use them because they are lazy....I make no distinctions when you are smashing into my legs and or feet. Just because they CAN go faster than me in their battery-powered-chariots-of-death-and-destruction.......does not mean that they are ALLOWED to! I cannot count the times that we were leaving Epcot after Illuminations...and I've been bumped (crashed is a better word) into, by someone who felt that I was nothing more than an obstacle. Those that speed through the packed crowd...beeping their horns or ringing their little bells.....deserve ZERO amounts of "free reign". I paid to get in to the park....I have a ticket....you paid...you have a ticket..(and a scooter). The scooter does not make you "more equal"!! I've always tried to figure out, "what's the rush"? I mean...really...I'm sure that you'll get to the bus stop in more than enough time to crash into someone else!!! :rant:

Ian
09-21-2010, 08:53 AM
I have to say that, while I completely understand and respect the need for folks to be able to get around the parks via scooter, that I do find them somewhat dangerous and a tad scary at times.

More than once (especially in Epcot for some reason), I or one of my children have nearly been run down by someone zooming through the crowd.

Again ... I appreciate that there are tons of mobility restricted folks who need some help, but I do wish Disney would do a bit better job of keeping an eye on them and making sure they're using those scooters responsibly.

disneydaughter94(:
09-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I'm not trying to offend you, but you do realize by doing that you're being just as rude as them by "accidently" hitting them and falling over them. I'm not saying what they're doing isn't wrong, but what you're doing isn't right either.

"Don't fight fire with fire."

Ian
09-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm not trying to offend you, but you do realize by doing that you're being just as rude as them by "accidently" hitting them and falling over them. I'm not saying what they're doing isn't wrong, but what you're doing isn't right either.

"Don't fight fire with fire."Yep. I totally recognize that and I admit that I'm violating the old "two wrongs don't make a right" adage (which I happen to believe in ... most of the time).

But man it makes me feel a whole lot better. ;)

brad192
09-21-2010, 10:14 AM
What people don't realize when it comes to obtaining a center seat is that there is a perfectly simple way to do this "legally".

When entering the theater, don't be in a mad rush to get a seat. Pick a row or two and "lurk" at the entrance to that row until you see that it has filled to about 1/2. Then simply enter the row and take your seat right in the center!:thumbsup:

Of course you have to be ready to switch rows quickly if those "center seat grabbers" invade the row you selected.:mad:

Disney4us2
09-21-2010, 11:25 AM
crashed[/I] is a better word) into, by someone who felt that I was nothing more than an obstacle. Those that speed through the packed crowd...beeping their horns or ringing their little bells.....deserve ZERO amounts of "free reign". I paid to get in to the park....I have a ticket....you paid...you have a ticket..(and a scooter). The scooter does not make you "more equal"!! I've always tried to figure out, "what's the rush"? I mean...really...I'm sure that you'll get to the bus stop in more than enough time to crash into someone else!!! :rant:

Rudness is all in perspective. You are entitled to your opinion. The tone & venom of your statement though, is rude to me. I am one of those who are disabled and use in your terms "a chariot of death and destruction". Not all ECV users are race car drivers. People will just stop short in their tracks. ECV's have no breaks. So bam... a collision. They are lower and people don't see them..bam, a collision. When I became disabled I was suprised at how invisible I became. I wish I did not have to depend on a scooter to enjoy DL/WDW. That is just the hand I was dealt. Hopefully you will never be in the position of having to use an ECV or wheelchair.

We (at Disneyland) always wait until the crowds thin out before leaving or going anywhere (after parades etc.). ECV users also pay the same price to enjoy WDW/Disneyland just like anyone else. I do agree on one point. I don't like those who just blow the horn to get people to move. I use the horn when a small child is nearing(I am stopped) and don't want them walking into me. People also just try and play beat the scooter and run in front of it.... what is their hurry?

If we need to stop we pull over to the side so as to not block the walkways. I never see stroller users doing that, or anyone else either. People will just stop where they please. I try my best to be a courteous driver, but it is not all up to me, but those around me as well.

Before becoming disabled almost 4 years ago and walking, I was never hit or had my heels nipped by an ECV. Strollers always bit my heels. We are at Disneyland almost every Saturday so I am not new to driving in the crowds. Backing on a bus soon at WDW... that will be a new one for me.

I truely hope that you or any family members, or anyone is NEVER in the position where you become disabled. I wish I could not be in constant pain when standing or walking. I don't wish it on anyone. Luckly I have never had a rude encounter at Disneyland.

JerseyDad
09-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Rudness is all in perspective. You are entitled to your opinion. The tone & venom of your statement though, is rude to me. I am one of those who are disabled and use in your terms "a chariot of death and destruction". Not all ECV users are race car drivers. People will just stop short in their tracks. ECV's have no breaks. So bam... a collision. They are lower and people don't see them..bam, a collision. When I became disabled I was suprised at how invisible I became. I wish I did not have to depend on a scooter to enjoy DL/WDW. That is just the hand I was dealt. Hopefully you will never be in the position of having to use an ECV or wheelchair.

We (at Disneyland) always wait until the crowds thin out before leaving or going anywhere (after parades etc.). ECV users also pay the same price to enjoy WDW/Disneyland just like anyone else. I do agree on one point. I don't like those who just blow the horn to get people to move. I use the horn when a small child is nearing(I am stopped) and don't want them walking into me. People also just try and play beat the scooter and run in front of it.... what is their hurry?

If we need to stop we pull over to the side so as to not block the walkways. I never see stroller users doing that, or anyone else either. People will just stop where they please. I try my best to be a courteous driver, but it is not all up to me, but those around me as well.

Before becoming disabled almost 4 years ago and walking, I was never hit or had my heels nipped by an ECV. Strollers always bit my heels. We are at Disneyland almost every Saturday so I am not new to driving in the crowds. Backing on a bus soon at WDW... that will be a new one for me.

I truely hope that you or any family members, or anyone is NEVER in the position where you become disabled. I wish I could not be in constant pain when standing or walking. I don't wish it on anyone. Luckly I have never had a rude encounter at Disneyland.

.....if you...Marci....are one of the careful and corteous persons that must use a scooter, power wheel-chair....etc., and make it a point to not crush the legs and feet of those that are walking around you....then you have my respect and long-distance-applause. If you read my post carefully....I didn't give the evil eye to ALL users of mobility devices.....I did so to those that go about their business with a blatant disregard for all of those around them.

.....those are the people that give me a concrete reason to never were sandals to a park (even though I never wear sandals anyway ;) )

Dragongirlx
09-23-2010, 04:26 AM
We encountered some rude behaviour from our recent trip but two things really stand out for me.
First in pirates a woman standing at the dock having a conversation with her friends/ family and holding up everyone else who were waiting for the ride to start despite the CM asking repeatedly for her friend to sit down and for the conversation to end. Then the same women proceeded to change her place in the queue to board stopping a pregnant lady and her husband from getting the seat in the boat they had requested ( the lady was pregnant and had asked for the seat with the most space) and ignoring the CM when asked to move.
The second time was in the haunted mansion.
A guy who was part of a large family started making very loud ghost noises and screaming when in the elevator. I put up with it because I have seen people do that before and they generally do it once or twice and then stop. However he continued to do this during the ride and was unfortunatly in the doom buggy in front of us. It was getting so bad I actually couldn't hear the ghost host. In the end I lost my temper and just yelled will you be quiet. At this point he did stop but he had spoiled the ride for me.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-23-2010, 11:18 PM
When we were there last month, I had a kid walk in front of me. But what he did next floored me! He said excuse me!! I stopped the woman he was with and asked if this was her son. She replied yes and I told her I just wanted to thank her for teaching her son manners. She looked so surprised. I said to her that most people only comment on the bad and I wanted to comment on the good.

That same trip we were going through the line to board the Doom Buggies. People were pushing past us and I said to my party, what's the rush? slow down and enjoy the sights. The guy behind us laughed and said "exactly". He got it too. After all, you are inside already so you'll get on, barring any unforseen problems.