PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!

michellerose1579
09-06-2010, 12:44 AM
Ok so Im not sure where this goes, I figured this might be the best place. I need to vent.. cause Im pretty darn ticked off right now. This weekend I went to a BBQ at a friend's house and one of the ladies at the BBQ overheard a bunch of us talking about my upcoming trip to WDW. She butted right in, looking me up and down and said. Are you going to try to get on any rides? I looked at her funny and asked her why. She made a comment about my size (I am 5'4 and a size 26-28) now, I know Im not small, or average by any means but I was SO insulted! I told her that I had been previously in 2007 and went on just about everything. I told her that the rides I didnt go on were NOT because of my size, but because of my preference (not a fan of Mission Space). I just couldnt believe her nerve. She looked to be a plus size woman herself. I just stayed away from her for the rest of the afternoon. But unfortunately, I cant shake her comment. I KNOW I will be fine, because I have been there before, so no stress right?

BellesRose
09-06-2010, 01:30 AM
That is just so rude! How did you react? How did the other ladies react? Talk about an awkward situation! Perhaps she feels the need to bring everyone down to make herself feel better. I'm sorry for your embarrassment, but look on the bright side: You're going to Disney! And staying at the Wilderness Lodge! You're going to have SO much fun! :mickey:

Nini
09-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Don't let idiots bother you - life is short and it's not worth it.

Have a great time - the WL is awesome!!!

Denise :mickey:

NewmanFamily6
09-06-2010, 03:51 AM
I swear I will never understand why some people feel they need to tell others they are overweight or "look pregnant". I'm sorry that she hurt your feelings. Please don't allow her to cause you to not have fun. The information section on here has info on Pooh sized people and what we can ride comfortably.:)

Dsnygirl
09-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe that gall of that woman.... I am so sorry you had to go through that!! Stories like that make me so angry.... I hate that some people just have to try and find a way to make others feel badly about themselves to feel themselves feel better. And talk about rude!! :confused:

Just remember -- you're going to Disney, she's not. You're going to be soaking up Walt & Mickey's magic, hugging characters and smiling 24/7, and she's not. She's an unhappy person, I'm thinking -- and you're not!! :D

Have a GREAT trip!!

LauraByTheSea
09-06-2010, 08:07 AM
RUDE! Don't let it get you down though... She's obviously someone with a hidden "happiness" issue and YOU are going to DISNEY! Plus, I don't know of really any rides that we Pooh-sized peeps can't ride anyway. I carry alot in the front and have NEVER had a problem. Have a blast!!!

AgentP
09-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Definitely sounds like she was jealous.

Have a great trip and don't worry about petty people.

Mousehead35
09-06-2010, 08:17 AM
That comment was just rude and uncalled for! Don't let anyone stomp on your JOY - Go and have the time of your life!! :mickey:

AllDisney
09-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Just ignore ignorant people. Have a great time.

The WL is very nice. You'll enjoy it for sure:number1:

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Wow! I can't belive the nerve of some people.

I don't know why some people feel the need to try and ruin the happiness of others, I just always assume that they aren't happy themselves, and don't want anyone else to be either.

Geesh - us pooh-shaped people have feelings too! Enjoy WDW, and going on ALL of the rides you want to :mickey:

brownie
09-06-2010, 09:20 AM
As Jar Jar Bin Binks would say, "How rude!" I know it's tough, but you have to let it go. Don't let this one comment worry you up until you go and make your vacation less enjoyable.

cather74
09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm just amazed at people sometimes! You go to disney world, ride every ride and have a mickey rice crispy treat for me! (my favorite!) An have the best time doing it! It's WDW hooray!!!!!:mickey3::minnie::tigger:

DisneyFr33k
09-06-2010, 10:02 AM
As previous posters stated, she's an idiot. I sincerely believe that what goes around comes around.

Don't give her any more time and attention to her comment. That is what she wants - to get to you. Don't let her win.

Go to Disney :mickey:, ride all the rides :coaster:, and have the time of your life! :wishes:

dnickels
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
We can't control what others say, but we can control how we react to it. Try not to let it bother you. :thumbsup:

It's also interesting that you mentioned she was overweight herself. There was just an article I read somewhere last week that talked about the prevalence of obesity and overweight individuals among US adults. Basically the survey found that most overweight people consider themselves average - they either don't realize or don't acknowledge that they're overweight. Maybe she was one of the survey takers. :thedolls:

LVT
09-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Oh, dear. That kind of thing makes me think I must look too stupid to notice my self.
I have had the "are you pregnant?"question too.
If some one has a kind comment for a response?
Maybe like Eeyore "Thanks for thinking of me."

BellesRose
09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Oh, dear. That kind of thing makes me think I must look too stupid to notice my self.
I have had the "are you pregnant?"question too.
If some one has a kind comment for a response?
Maybe like Eeyore "Thanks for thinking of me."
I saw them discussing this on a talk show recently. The woman asked how she should deal with people asking her if she's pregnant, because apparently it happened to her often. The answer was to smile and just say no, but thank for you asking, and then change the subject. Do not allow people to make you feel bad, and if you can't help but to feel bad, do not allow them to see it!

ElenitaB
09-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Somewhere I once read that the best retort was to smile sweetly and say, "No, I'm not. Why do you ask?"

To the OP, go and enjoy yourself. Your fun will be the best "revenge."

1DisneyNut
09-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Well if it had been my wife and I would have heard what she said, she would have wanted to crawl under a rock and hide not long after my response began. :thedolls: I'm not one to bite my tongue and allow people to run over and insult others in that manner. Most of them have some sort of self esteem issue that makes them feel good about themselves when they belittle others especially with an audience. What they hate most is for it to be flipped around on them which I do without even blinking.
Hate to hear she insulted you that way. Don't let it bother you, she is the one with the problem, not you.

Carolanne
09-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Some people just don’t think before they speak. My own personal rule of thumb is: if I don’t know for certain that someone is either a) pregnant, b) has lost weight, or c) has gone to & graduated from college, I don’t ask about it.

Don’t let this “person’s” rudeness ruin your trip for you. Do yourself a favor & put this woman out of your head.

I’ve gotten the “are you pregnant” question. It was at my sister’s baby shower & I was introduced to one of her friends who I had never met before (this woman just has no tact whatsoever) and she said to me, “are you pregnant too, or are you just wearing one of those shirts?” I just said, “No, I’m not pregnant,” and I guess I gave this woman a nasty look when I said that, because she said, “Oh. Well, I wasn’t trying to say you’re fat or anything.” At this point I basically shrieked at her “Well, you pretty much did!” I typically don’t stand up for myself that way—I tend to be SERIOUSLY shy & probably would have walked away in the past. Well, that woman avoided me for the rest of the shower and I didn’t feel bad about it While I’m not a skinny-minnie, I don’t think a size 10-12 is “fat or anything”.

People can be weird, overall. I basically grew up in the office that I work at (I’ve been here over 16 yrs, started when I was 20 y/o), and my co-workers feel free to comment on my weight (“have you gained weight?” “you’ve lost too much weight”), hairstyle (“Oh. I think you look better with red hair. Makes you look younger.”), and vacation choice (“Disney? Again? Why do you go so much?”).

diz_girl
09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
I just said, “No, I’m not pregnant,” and I guess I gave this woman a nasty look when I said that, because she said, “Oh. Well, I wasn’t trying to say you’re fat or anything.” At this point I basically shrieked at her “Well, you pretty much did!”

Awesome!:thumbsup:

I've gotten that question too, and once was back when I was 20 and weighed 120 lbs (I'm 5'5", by the way) and didn't look pregnant at all. At least right now and can say yes and not have to worry about being insulted. I have to say that it is fun to give them a flat 'No' to the question (when I'm not pregnant) and just let them squirm. I mean, a little PMS and jeez, everyone assumes you're expecting.

But your response was perfect.

I just wish that I had enough gumption to say to these people, "Do you have any friends?" And when they say yes or asked about your question just say, " Well, I'm surprised that you would have friends because you're such a rude person." I recently bought a little book called Insults and Comebacks and there are a lot of good ones in there.

BellesRose
09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Some people just don’t think before they speak. My own personal rule of thumb is: if I don’t know for certain that someone is either a) pregnant, b) has lost weight, or c) has gone to & graduated from college, I don’t ask about it.

Don’t let this “person’s” rudeness ruin your trip for you. Do yourself a favor & put this woman out of your head.

I’ve gotten the “are you pregnant” question. It was at my sister’s baby shower & I was introduced to one of her friends who I had never met before (this woman just has no tact whatsoever) and she said to me, “are you pregnant too, or are you just wearing one of those shirts?” I just said, “No, I’m not pregnant,” and I guess I gave this woman a nasty look when I said that, because she said, “Oh. Well, I wasn’t trying to say you’re fat or anything.” At this point I basically shrieked at her “Well, you pretty much did!” I typically don’t stand up for myself that way—I tend to be SERIOUSLY shy & probably would have walked away in the past. Well, that woman avoided me for the rest of the shower and I didn’t feel bad about it While I’m not a skinny-minnie, I don’t think a size 10-12 is “fat or anything”.

People can be weird, overall. I basically grew up in the office that I work at (I’ve been here over 16 yrs, started when I was 20 y/o), and my co-workers feel free to comment on my weight (“have you gained weight?” “you’ve lost too much weight”), hairstyle (“Oh. I think you look better with red hair. Makes you look younger.”), and vacation choice (“Disney? Again? Why do you go so much?”).
I didn't go to college, and it's always awkward when the same people insist over and over again that I did.
Really, I think I'd know.

And yes, it's not just the weight comments that can be insulting. Just yesterday I heard a customer chewing out a sales associate at JCPenney because she was working instead of staying home with her 3 children. She went on and on for so long that I considered going over there to interrupt the poor lady and ask for help finding something. Honestly, how hard is it to not be rude?

To the OP and anyone who has ever been offered unwanted opinions: Check out Sara Bareilles' new song "King Of Anything" the next time you are feeling down over a rude comment :thumbsup:

Carolanne
09-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I didn't go to college, and it's always awkward when the same people insist over and over again that I did.
Really, I think I'd know. Yes yes YES!

Not to hijack the OP's post, but: I didn't go to college either. I work for the federal gov't and a lot of the new employees that come in are recent college graduates & are there due to recruitment & a CEP program (a college degree is not required to do what I did previously--I entered my previous position via Merit Promotion). A lot of these new employees just assume that everyone went to college.

Despite me having 10 yrs on him, one guy was insisting that he knew me from his college campus (um...no). And below is the exchange I recently had with a co-worker talking about his daughter going into college next year:

Him: Hey, what college did you go to?
Me: I didn't.
Him: Really?
Me: Really.
Him: You didn't go to college.
Me: Nope.
Him: None at all?
Me: Nope, none at all.

I don't know why it's considered so "shocking", but people seem genuinely surprised when it comes out I didn't go to college.

mouseketeer mom
09-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Oh, this post was upsetting. Why do people do this???? It is mind boggling to me, where others feel they can "go" with their comments and questions.
I am not pooh sized, but I recently lost 50 and am working my behind off to stay fit and focused on my health. My health was my only motivation to change my habits because my DH was recently very sick, and I had a wake up call. I needed to get on track. anywho...it all feels very personal to me. And EVERYONE seems to feel they have a say in it. Even the woman who seats us at our favorite local chinese restaurant comments everytime she sees me. "You look good NOW" she says!!! Can you believe it?? Like, I must have looked awful before or something. I can't even begin to name all the rude comments I am getting. Do people mean harm?? I hope not. But it feels extremely awkward and uncomfortable, as if I'm getting an inspection from people now. I hate it. As I said, its a personal quest, and people just feel free to insert themselves into it, lots of time loudly and embarrassingly.
So, OP, enjoy your trip. People are unbelievable. Take the good stuff, try to discard the bad stuff. You're the lucky one!! And WDW embraces us ALL! No matter what we look like, or our size. Thats one of the things I love about it. Have fun!!