PDA

View Full Version : Expired Fastpasses..

disneyjoe
09-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi all i just have a quick question:

I just returned from Disney and while we were there people were offering fastpasses to us but they were expired. One person told us that they would even accept them even though they were expired. We never tried to use these but has anyone else come across this? Wondering if this is common and whether it really works?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
09-05-2010, 11:20 PM
Get ready, because you are about to get flamed! :flame::flame: :hide2:

This is a hot topic that gets a lot of folks fired up.

Disney appears to have an un-official policy to accept expired Fastpasses 90% of the time. Once in a blue moon a CM will say no, either because the attraction is EXTREMELY popular that day, they do not know about the un-official policy, or just because they are in a bad mood.

I used expired Fastpasses multiple times on my last trip. When you have to go back for a small child's nap time from 12 to 4, my only choice was to use most of my morning Fastpasses well after they had expired. It was a great benefit that I enjoyed at Disney. While I always tried to make my window, I had no shame in walking up to the Fastpasses line with an expired one if that's how it worked out.

crmark1
09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes, we have found that they will honor fastpasses all day as long it is after the return time.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
09-05-2010, 11:21 PM
They will take them.

SBETigg
09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Most often, yes, they take them without any problem at all. They usually don't let you through until the specified time, but have no problem with you riding well after the specified time frame- as long as it's in the same day.

BigRedDad
09-06-2010, 05:27 AM
That is the fundamental flaw to the entire Fast Pass system and the extremely large lines at certain times of the year. It may be impossible to get back for that return time. I don't have any issue for coming back after the time expired, just not before it starts.

If some people don't like it, each their own.

Disney5+2
09-06-2010, 08:01 AM
We were in line at Space Mt. last week and a family was speaking to the manager because they were refused entry via fastpass. They were trying to use Sunday fastpasses on Tuesday! Don't know if they got on because we went ahead, but they definitely allow using a fastpass that is past the time on the same day.

Strmchsr
09-06-2010, 08:52 AM
They were trying to use Sunday fastpasses on Tuesday!

That's a big difference. The CMs will allow same day fastpasses if its past your time, unless the ride is extremely crowded, but they won't let you use previous day's fastpasses.

wdwfansince75
09-06-2010, 09:08 AM
While there are literalists who only use the FP during the window, we learned several trips ago that the practice (as opposed to a formal policy) is that same day FP's can be used any time after the initial return time. Since being told by CM's that this was the practice, we have never worried about return times. and have never been refused entry with same day FP's...

Frankly, we appreciate the practice. The flexibility it provides serves us well...we can do our usually touring, get back to the room and pool, keep ADR's, or even park hop, and return later to use the FP... It does cause longer FP ( and therefore, standby) lines later in the day... Perhaps fine tuning the number of late day FP's or even just changing the eligibility window to 2 or 3 hours, may reduce the evening traffic jams....but I have no problem with the current practice.

emacek
09-06-2010, 09:22 AM
It's not a given though.

When we were at MK the week after Christmas, they refused to honor fast passes for Space Mountain after the window had expired. It did not appear to be a case of a CM not knowing the optional policy but a conscious decision. In fact, IIRC, they warned us when we were picking up the FPs that they would be sticking to the window and we saw them turn people away when we returned.

emacek

TikiLounger
09-06-2010, 09:35 AM
While we always try to use our FPs in the time window, we are aware (through this board) that, most of the time, CMs will allow us on the ride after they have expired. It's a great relief on busy days to know that the pressure is off and it's okay if we're late to our next ride. But, that being said, we would completely accept the decision of any CM. If they say no, then it's no. It's just a chance we take. I think it's a good thing for Disney to be flexible with the FPs, when they can. Stuff happens in a Disney day and they know that everyone can't always make it back exactly on time.

Strmchsr
09-06-2010, 09:39 AM
It's not a given though. When we were at MK the week after Christmas, they refused to honor fast passes for Space Mountain after the window had expired.

Right. During the more crowded times it's use it during the window or lose it. The flexibility only comes during some of the slower times.

DizneyRox
09-06-2010, 10:29 AM
Taken from the Operating Guides posted to the Internet a while back:

Fastpass Return Greeter
This position is located at the entrance to the FASTPASS Return Line. The Cast Member's responsibilities include the following:

Greet the Guests...smile!
Welcome each Guest to the attraction.
Check the Guests' tickets and verify that they are returning within the correct time frame and on the correct date.
Communicate to Guests the current applicable return time being admitted.
Verify that Guests wishing to ride meet the boarding requirements, including height requirements, if applicable.
Inform Guests of food, beverage, wheelchair, and stroller policies.
Keep the area clean.
Partner with the Stand-by Greeter to keep the area clean, assist with wheelchairs, straighten strollers, etc.
Collect FASTPASS Tickets, as applicable.
Notify a coordinator when the FASTPASS Return line is backed up.
Have early return Guests wait in the designated area to keep the return area free of congestion.

NOTE: In order to be sensitive to our Guests' needs, we will (without publication) honor FASTPASS Tickets to return after their time but not before the designated return time.
Now, things may have changed, certainly #1 has loosened a bit. I read this as, don't promote that we allow "expired" fastpasses, but honor them regardless. Things happen in the park, ride closures, etc. Now, do I think it should be abused? No, but I don't worry about missing a window by a little bit.

tinksmom02
09-06-2010, 12:03 PM
I understand that it might not be official policy, but we've never had an issue using FP after the return window (but on the same day, of course!). CMs have told us it was OK. We even spread the magic a little by giving away our unused FP when we were leaving, so someone else could use them.

Course, we don't travel during peak seasons, so I could certainly understand if others have had different experiences during those times.

BrerGnat
09-06-2010, 12:10 PM
It's actually OFFICIAL policy to honor them from the RETURN time until close of business that day.

Of course, Disney also has the power to amend this any time, especially during particularly busy days, so I'm sure when they expect a day like that, they tighten the reins, so to speak.

I give away FP all the time that we don't end up using.

johnO
09-06-2010, 01:12 PM
I've heard they'll accept late passes too

#1donaldfan
09-06-2010, 05:26 PM
We've used expired ones numerous times !! Just make sure they are used the same day, otherwise they will be rejected....:thumbsup:

Scrappy2
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
We always travel to Disney during peak season when the parks are crowded. We have used our fastpasses after they have expired and never had a problem. I do ask the CM when we give them the fastpass. Our last trip our breakfast at CRT took a very long time so we missed our fastpass window. We also got caught during the parade and could not make our fastpass time. Both times the CM did not have a problem. Of course they were from the same day. I would never try to use another days fastpass.

celebrationasheley
09-19-2010, 08:54 PM
We were in line at Space Mt. last week and a family was speaking to the manager because they were refused entry via fastpass. They were trying to use Sunday fastpasses on Tuesday! Don't know if they got on because we went ahead, but they definitely allow using a fastpass that is past the time on the same day.

I would not allow this family in line. I kept a handful of fast passes for my photo albums. I would feel so uncomfortable using a fast pass two days later.

Jared
09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
I appreciate Disney's policy allowing for a bit of FASTPASS leeway, and I hope people do not intentionally abuse the generosity. Daily snags and pitfalls sometimes hinder the most honest groups making every effort to honor the stated time frame. I choose to trust that most guests in the parks will behave honorably and only return late when life interferes with planning.

That said, I understand why Disney enforces the window on the ticket during the busier seasons. Shame on me for returning too late.

Imagineer1981
09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
A majority of people do not know that you can come back late, and therefore stick to the time period, keeping FP pretty much on schedule. 1 or 2 families that come back late within a given hour are not going to derail the system. Most of the backups in FP come from poor CM line control at the Merge positions. Sometimes they do not stick to the 4 -1 ratio rule and other times its just a slow loading ride, a wheel chair, or a breakdown that causes the back ups.