PDA

View Full Version : January weather

wdwnutz
09-05-2010, 06:02 PM
We are starting to plan a trip to WDW for Jan 2011, what is the weather typically like? Previously we have been to WDW in April, May, July , Sept. , Oct, Nov. and Dec. (we have grown to hate really hot weather, but love the 70-80 degree weather!) We would like to swim in afternoons of possible. What kind of clothes do we pack?

faline
09-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Pack a little bit of everything but include your bathing suits as well as your winter coats and mittens as you just don't know what you might get for weather in January. You could get pleasant weather which would allow you to get into the pools, particularly in the afternoons. BUT...you might also get very chilly weather with temps dipping below freezing, particularly overnight OR you might get anything in between or a combination of all of the above within the same trip.

BugeyedMuggy
09-05-2010, 08:07 PM
We have been to Disney at almost all the seasons of the year. We have found if you check the weather a week before you leave you can pack accordingly. In Feb. we have been in 35 degree temps to 75 degree temps. Pack for everything or check the 7 day forcast for less packing.

Strmchsr
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
This last January it was 33 and snowing at noon on the day we arrived, but that's a little unusual. Check the historic weather page in Info Central to get a good idea of what to expect for your dates.

Disney1977
09-05-2010, 08:56 PM
The weather the last week of January 2009 was beautiful. We went swimming at night and even went to the Blizzard Beach one day.

Enjoy your trip.

droopy d.
09-05-2010, 08:59 PM
We were there last year jan. 28-feb. 5 and most of the time it was a little chilly. we all bought sweatshirts but i still wore shorts the kids did swim almost every nite before bed but i wasn't getting into the pool

Mommy2boys
09-06-2010, 10:40 AM
We have gone in Jan. the past 2yrs. The first time it was fine... a little cool in morning and evening but overall very nice. This yr it was cold.. we needed sweaters. One day it was freezing!!

WDWCrazyKaren
09-13-2010, 09:50 AM
Were there January 2008, the first full week. The week before we got there, there were frost warnings. We landed on the 6th and it was 80 degrees and sunny. Stayed that way the entire week. It was lovely. I won't guarantee that weather though!

disneykid@hrt
09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
We were there the second week in January and as a previous poster noted IT WAS FREEZING!!! We're from Northern Indiana and we know cold, but I must say it is a "different" cold. During the day it does warm up, we were in short sleeves a few afternoons. We were even able to swim one late morning. (But it was one of those put your clothes right back on and run to the room things.)
I just read that the Farmer's Almanac is calling for a warmer winter down there. Let's hope so, we'll be there the first two weeks of January next year!!

Janmac
09-15-2010, 06:46 PM
We were at Disney the last full week of January, this year. We experienced everything. On our sixth afternoon we had to leave MK because we were too warm. We would have been happy at that temp in July. I think it was in the mid to upper 70s.

On our fifth morning we were quite chilled, waiting for our ADR in Norway. We had sweaters and were standing in the sun, but with the temp in the mid to upper 40s, we were chilly. I think there was a stiff breeze that morning too.

Our first evening was mild enough not to need jackets on the boat from MK to GF for our 1900 Park Fare supper.

This trip, other than the Norway morning, we did not feel we needed hats, scarves and gloves. We have felt that on a December trip. There was at least one day on that trip that the day time temp did not warm enough for Typhoon Lagoon to open. I think it was in the upper 50s that day.

For any winter Disney trip I'd bring everything from shorts to gloves and hats.

We also went thinking that if we needed more sweaters than the couple we brought, we'd buy some as Disney souvenirs.

Jan