PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Tempur-Pedic mattress?

alphamommy
09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
DH and I got a Tempur-Pedic mattress in June, and I'm having trouble getting used to it.

The major problem is that it is too warm! I end up waking up in the middle of the night and having to get out of bed for a while for the sheets - and myself - to cool down. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, do you have a solution?

SBETigg
09-05-2010, 11:49 AM
My friend had the same problem with her Tempur-Pedic. She woke up in terrible sweats, overheated. She ended up putting it in her spare bedroom and buying a new bed. She got a number bed, and she loves that. But the Tempur-Pedic didn't work for her, either. Sorry to hear it. I'm not sure there's a solution beyond replacing it.

Daisy'sMom
09-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I am so glad you posted this. DH and I have been thinking about replacing our mattress for a Tempur-Pedic. I hate to be warm at night, the ceiling fan has to be on high, so I guess we will think about something else.:mickey:

BrerGnat
09-05-2010, 12:48 PM
We've had our Tempur Pedic bed for 7 years now.

I've never noticed a problem of the mattress being too warm. I live in Southern CA too, so it's not like we live in a cold climate.

I do occasionally get hot at night, and sweat, but have found that is more a "hormonal" issue than a mattress issue, as it tends to happen regularly during "certain times of the month".

My husband is a hot rock at night. He is always warm, no matter what type of bed he sleeps in. He doesn't sweat, though. He's never complained about our bed. We both love it.

Now, it should be noted that I require an EXTREMELY cold environment at night to sleep well, or I will get a migraine at night. Our A/C is set to 70 degrees at night. In hotels, we go crazy and put it down to 65, or as low as it will go. We also use a fan at night.

And, we generally only use a sheet at night. I have a down comforter that is the lightest warmth available (it's a #1, on that scale that rates warmth factor).

Try wearing lighter sleep clothes, and lightening your bedding, to see if that helps. The benefits of this mattress over time will FAR outweigh any issues you have of being too warm occasionally. When winter rolls around, I guarantee this problem will disappear completely.

I can tell you that, 7 years later, this mattress feels just like the day we got it. It's got a LONG life left, and I have never slept better.

My biggest problem is traveling! It's VERY difficult to get comfortable on hotel beds now. :blush:

Georgesgirl1
09-05-2010, 12:54 PM
My aunt and uncle have a tempur-pedic and have complained about it being hot as well. I don't know if they have come up with a solution for the problem, but you aren't alone.

Kenny1113
09-05-2010, 03:53 PM
My biggest problem is traveling! It's VERY difficult to get comfortable on hotel beds now. :blush:

I totally agree! HaHa

MNNHFLTX
09-05-2010, 06:09 PM
My brother has a Temper-Pedic on the guest bed at his house and we sleep on it when we visit. I have never told him this, but I also find that I am often too warm on it, and I find it almost feels sticky (for lack of a better term), even under the sheets. I think I like to feel the sheets and mattress pad sliding on a mattress and it just feels weird to me that it doesn't have that slipperyness, I guess.

alphamommy
09-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I'm not alone.

I've decreased the covers on the bed, and sleep in lightweight sleepshirts, but still get too warm most nights. The really weird thing is that my feet are almost always like ice, and they never get completely warm even when I'm sweating on that mattress.

DH loves the bed, so I don't think replacing it is an option. Besides, with the price we paid for it, I know he wouldn't be to thrilled with doing that. I wanted a sleep number bed, but he fell in love with this one.

I have tried turning on the ceiling fan to cool off the sheets before I go to sleep, and that works pretty well. The problem is that DH doesn't like sleeping under the fan, so if I wake up during the night, I have a really hard time going back to sleep.

Thanks again!

BrerGnat
09-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Hey, Google "cooling mattress".

There are actually mattress pads, sheets, and blankets designed for use with Tempur Pedic beds that will help with this problem and not hinder the memory foam benefits. Check it out!

PirateLover
09-05-2010, 11:50 PM
I used to work in the beds department at IKEA and during our training we learned that some people are just naturally "hot" or "cold" sleepers. This means that no matter the air temp, some people will always wake up sweaty or shivering. (Of course most people are in between). Having the right mattress can definitely help with this. As a salesperson, if someone told me they sweat a lot in their sleep, there were some mattresses we'd automatically steer them away from. Same thing for if you tend to sleep on your side, back, or stomach (which is very bad for you but of course that's how I sleep, go figure!) We did sell memory foam mattresses and I remember many of the foam were not good for hot sleepers. I think looking into the coolers that BrerGnat suggested may be your best bet.

Carolanne
09-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey, Google "cooling mattress".

There are actually mattress pads, sheets, and blankets designed for use with Tempur Pedic beds that will help with this problem and not hinder the memory foam benefits. Check it out! Hmm, I should look into this for my mattress. DH & I bought a new bed back in July, which of course meant a new mattress (haven't had a new one of those in basically...ever!). It's a Sealy w/a pillow-top...and I can't stand it. Now I feel overheated when I'm trying to sleep--didn't have that w/my ancient mattress. I've woken up in a sweat. And I guess I'm like BrerGnat when it comes to sleeping--I need a COLD sleeping environment.

Replacing the mattress is out of the question. And sleeping w/o a blanket...shudder. I'm weird like that, lol.

garymacd
09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
When it is warm here, I do sweat at night, but I have never really considered it a problem since the pillows are also warm.

Recently we decided we needed separate comforters since my wife gets really warm at night. We had a queen size silk comforter and didn't know what to do with it. When we purchased the twin sized silk comforters, the sales agent told us to use the old comforter as a mattress pad.

It was amazing! No more sweats!

BrerGnat
09-07-2010, 12:46 PM
When it is warm here, I do sweat at night, but I have never really considered it a problem since the pillows are also warm.

Recently we decided we needed separate comforters since my wife gets really warm at night. We had a queen size silk comforter and didn't know what to do with it. When we purchased the twin sized silk comforters, the sales agent told us to use the old comforter as a mattress pad.

It was amazing! No more sweats!

But do you have a Tempur Pedic mattress? The way it works is that it uses your body heat to "conform" to your body. If you put a comforter between your body and the mattress, it doesn't work. I lay on top of my bed sometimes (on top of my VERY THIN down comforter. My mattress stays hard...I don't "sink in" to it. The down fill on the comforter is an insulator, so the mattress does not make contact with my body, no heat is transferred, and the mattress stays firm.

LauraF
09-07-2010, 01:01 PM
The other option to to do what my in-laws have done, and get one of the pillow-top mattress add-ons that can be bought at any Target/Wal-Mart, etc. Those are soft enough to allow the form-fitting for Tempurpedic, but cut down on the heat being held in.

It works wonders for me when I stay in their guest bed.

garymacd
09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
But do you have a Tempur Pedic mattress? The way it works is that it uses your body heat to "conform" to your body. If you put a comforter between your body and the mattress, it doesn't work. I lay on top of my bed sometimes (on top of my VERY THIN down comforter. My mattress stays hard...I don't "sink in" to it. The down fill on the comforter is an insulator, so the mattress does not make contact with my body, no heat is transferred, and the mattress stays firm.

We have a 12" Tempur-Pedic mattress, yes, and the Mulberry silk comforter does nothing to change the conformation of the mattress as far as we can determine. Mulbery silk comforters are very thin.