PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Point

AgentP
09-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I am planning to visit Cedar Point with my family next summer. I have been looking online for information, but I haven't found any great sites. Does anybody know where the best place to stay is? I looked on TripAdvisor and it seems like most of the hotels near Cedar Point have pretty bad reviews, even the resorts that are affiliated with the park. It is making me kind of nervous! Any help is appreciated.

DisneyWFan
09-05-2010, 02:26 PM
This may bit a bit pricey but look up Great wolf lodge sandusky, OH it isnt far from Cedar point & That is the hotel we are looking at for our trip there. Looks nice & I've read good reviews on it

tundramom
09-05-2010, 02:43 PM
At the actual point your pretty much captive to their limited selections. A lot of folks like the Breakers, more nostalgic than anything. Look into Sandusky water park hotels, Kalhari and Great Wolf are comparable to WDW rooms. If you plan on using the waterparks as well Kalahari wins hands down over Great Wolf.

NJGIRL
09-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Great Wolf Lodges are really nice. They are a resort within themselves.

thrillme
09-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Depends on what you want to pay and to what amount of time you plan on being in the park verses the hotel. We went in 2007

My son and I stayed at a Comfort Inn very nearby. It was quite simple but nice and clean, comfortable beds...my only complaint was that we got a room on the second floor and there were no elevators. :confused: BUT the room was nice and at the time they had a little breakfast buffet (scrambled eggs, waffles, sasauge). The price was very reasonable. It was simply a hotel room. Back then they had done some "upgrades"...it still seemed a little dated with a "tube" TV but...it really was just perfect for what we needed without killing our pocket book. I really don't have a clue what people could complain about in the reviews...it was only about $50-60.

We passed by the Great Wolf Lodge and checked it out. It was VERY nice and had a waterpark in it. It was $100-150 MORE (yes $160-200) a night than the Comfort and I just didn't foresee us being in the hotel that long. We just needed a comfortable place to sleep. The water park would have been nice but we were at the park pretty late each day then one night we even went bowling and played laser tag. I don't know when we would have used the waterpark.

Take a lot of hotel reviews with a grain of salt. Some people are REALLY persnickity and they expect the Animal Kingdom Lodge at the Value resort.

I've stayed in expensive hotels for certian benefits or features and I've stayed in some real "dives" for the price alone. It all depends on what YOUR gameplan is.

Niecyboo
09-11-2010, 11:05 PM
We stayed at the Cedar Point hotel Castaway Bay once, which I really enjoyed. The rooms were very clean and nice, and the water park was a lot of fun. I'll admit, we actually didn't mix this with a trip to Cedar Point. We went in the winter so that we could have 2 days at an indoor water park. When we do Cedar Point, it is usually as a really really long day trip, and we just stop halfway on the way home, so I'm not much help there.

Disneymom4ever
09-13-2010, 09:57 AM
We actually took the kids last June for the first time. I had done as much research as I could find, and I understand about mixed reviews on hotels. We ended up staying at the Hotel Breakers. It was literally connected to the park. It was a bit pricey, I think we paid $160/nt for the basic (bonaire) room. But when I checked in, I had said it was our first time, and I wanted to impress the family, and would it be possible to upgrade. And they did, no extra charge! We ended up in the East section, which was great! We did walk by the bonaire section, which, honestly, was older, but looked fine. I highly recommend staying onsite if possible. It was WONDERFUL being able to walk and be in the park in literally 5 minutes! And, if you stay there, you get in the park 1 hr. before the public. The biggest plus to us, was midday, when it was so hot, we could just walk back to the hotel, and take a break and cool off. We also spent a little time at the beach with lounge chairs on the sand. It was like 2 vacations in one! That and the ice cream parlor, which my kids loved! If we go again, we will definitely stay there for the convenience, it was so worth it! Oh, and don't forget to ask for free ice water at the parks, they give them out all day! :mickey: