PDA

View Full Version : dvc vacationing elsewhere?

jazzy
09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I love disney so much that i am thinking about becoming a member how ever i am doing my home work because it is a major financial commitment.
I see how it is used in disney but how is it used other places like hawaii or jamaica?

DizneyRox
09-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Currently, you would trade into RCI properties. This is a contract with RCI, it can and probably will change. Couple of years ago it was II.

You also have a choice of Adventures by Disney I think.

Note that using your membership outside of DVC properties quickly erodes the value. For example, even using it for WDW properties costs a ton of points, more than likely double or more then points needed for a comparable stay at a DVC property at a similar time.

RCI I think is a little better value, but still not great. Every so often though and IRS not going to be the end of the world. Every year though and it might not make good financial sense.

Dismay is opening up a DVC resort in HI, but the points are significantly higher than any other property I believe.

BrerGnat
09-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Disney DVC should not be purchased with the intention of using your points "elsewhere" (i.e. non Disney properties). It costs a lot of points, there are fees, etc. If this is the type of timeshare you are looking for, there are other companies out there that are MUCH cheaper for this sort of thing.

Join DVC if you want to use it for Disney vacations. And, if you have the money sitting around anyway.

gwfx1031
09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
We used our points to recently stay in Washington DC at the "partner" hotel there and it was great. You just pay the $95 fee and you are a regular guest at that hotel.

DVC2004
09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
When DVC was partnered with Interval (rather than RCI), we used our points at Harborside at Atlantis which was phenomenal! It was not difficult to get but we were very flexible with our travel dates and went on a search list. Something came up about 6 weeks later for a year later and it worked out perfectly. I agree- you don't want to join this primarily for the non-dis properties but just know if you are flex and can go at nonpeak times (not likely you'll get Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Spring Break).