PDA

View Full Version : La Hacienda/La Cantina de San Angel pics - UPDATED 9/7

Melanie
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I was at Epcot today and noticed the construction walls have come down on the waterfront portion of the 'new' restaurants. Walls remain up on the sidewalk.

What I couldn't help but notice is that the view of Illuminations will definitely be obstructed by the roof.

Soft opening set for September 15.

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 08:07 PM
It looks really nice, but I see what you mean about the roof. That seems a bit short-sighted, right? Why would they not foresee that as being an issue? Strange, but not unexpected, all things considered. Still, I think this will be an extremely popular venue.

Melanie
09-03-2010, 08:14 PM
It looks really nice, but I see what you mean about the roof. That seems a bit short-sighted, right? Why would they not foresee that as being an issue?

You know, is that something they were/are even promoting, or did we all just assume it would be good viewing as it was previously? I'll have to go back and read that Disney Parks blog entry. :shrug:

Oh, and I think it looks really nice too. My phone camera doesn't pick up the bright, vibrant colors. The blue and yellow are really pretty!

BrerGnat
09-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I would guess it's a weather issue. People don't like to eat outdoors in the rain. ;)

How does Rose and Crown handle that? (when it rains)

I think the cover is great (for the hot sun AND the rain), because for the majority of the day, people will want cover from the elements if they have to eat outdoors. Building an outdoor eating area and basing its design on a 20 minute nighttime show would be shortsighted, I think.

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I would guess it's a weather issue. People don't like to eat outdoors in the rain. ;)

How does Rose and Crown handle that? (when it rains)

I think the cover is great (for the hot sun AND the rain), because for the majority of the day, people will want cover from the elements if they have to eat outdoors. Building an outdoor eating area and basing its design on a 20 minute nighttime show would be shortsighted, I think.

Good points. And I'm not sure if we just assumed it would be good viewing for Illuminations with the lagoon position, or if it was promoted that way. Maybe a little of both. But I do think it's something to work with given the location. I'm sure they were going for the best of all possibilities, with the weather, sun, and viewing location all under consideration. It still seems like a great new option to me and I would love to try it, but won't be there again any time soon. Maybe next year.

DisneyorBust
09-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Great pictures! I have been wondering what the new restaurants were going to look like, even though I will be there in 11days. :D
It looks like a fantastic place to sit in the shade and enjoy a nice dinner.

disneymom2000
09-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Surely the roofline can't possibly obscure the view any more than the trees around the lagoon near France or in front of the Rose and Crown. I think it is a plus to have yet another option to sit and watch illunimations.

Melanie
09-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Surely the roofline can't possibly obscure the view any more than the trees around the lagoon near France or in front of the Rose and Crown. I think it is a plus to have yet another option to sit and watch illunimations.

I don't know. To me, the only area that would be worth trying to view would be the gazebo seating, and it's not that big. That side area seems to offer no view at all when I think about it.

I get the cover reasoning, and I'm actually glad for it. The Illuminations view means nothing to me.

BrerGnat
09-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Mexico is not the best place to view Illuminations anyway.

A few years ago, we watched Illuminations while eating some Mexican food we got from the CS location there, and we were seated in that area and the view was pretty bad.

tarkin
09-06-2010, 04:30 PM
Is this restaurant quick service?

2MuchWDFun
09-06-2010, 05:41 PM
It's two restaurants in one location. There is a TS at La Hacienda de San Angel & a CS at the La Cantina de San Angel. You can find more specific info on both of these restaurants on line and on Intercot... just search the names of the restaurants.

The TS will open at 4pm for dinner service, the cantina will stay open from lunch through dinner. It's an interesting dining concept. Can't wait to try it during our upcoming vacation.

beksy
09-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the pics! Can't wait to try it out on our trip.

Melanie
09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Got a few more pics across the lagoon yesterday (with a better camera).

BrerGnat
09-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Beautiful shots. And, it needs to be said

"Jealous." :(

(I know, I know...woe is me...going to Disneyland every week. The grass is always greener...)

Melanie
09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
(I know, I know...woe is me...going to Disneyland every week. The grass is always greener...)

You know that! I'm dying to get back to DL. It's been three years. That's just wrong. lol!

BrerGnat
09-08-2010, 12:38 AM
You know that! I'm dying to get back to DL. It's been three years. That's just wrong. lol!

Come on out! I'll put you up on my couch! ;)

RedSoxFan
09-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Looks very nice.
Can't wait to see a menu.
:mickey:

brownie
09-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Great shots. It looks like they've done a nice job.

johnO
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Nice!

darthmacho
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Looks sweet. Despite attempts to minimize the intrusion, those walls took away from the ambience of Mexico's outdoor area. It looks gorgeous from your pictures. Thanks. :mickey:

jpH/keD
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
:thumbsup: It looks MAHVELOUS! Not sure what I think about the cover....will just have to check it out! Thanks for sharing great pix!