PDA

View Full Version : VHS-DVD Converter

BellesRose
09-03-2010, 08:07 AM
Has anyone ever used a converter? My VCR died this morning :( I've been meaning to get a converter for years, so I guess it's time. What brands do you recommend? I would hate to get a bad one and have one of my vacation tapes break or something.

BrerGnat
09-03-2010, 12:11 PM
We have a combo VCR-DVD player that is also a DVD RECORDER. It's a Samsung. It works well. It's a good stand alone VHS or DVD player, and you can also record from your t.v. (or DVR) onto DVDs or VHS. The best thing is the VHS-DVD conversion. Simply place your VHS into the slot, insert a blank DVD-R and hit the "copy" button. It couldn't be easier.

We got this player for around $200. Samsung DVD-VR357.

BellesRose
09-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the information! Unfortunately, that model has been discontinued. They do have a newer version that I might try to find, since you like yours so much. I am a little worried because everything I have researched has had terrible reviews, but I think I'll definitely try to find a Samsung.

Renfairwedding
09-04-2010, 12:10 AM
I found many of the store bought movies are copy protected and woiuld not let me convert them to DVD. If i am wrong could someone tell me what I may be doing wrong.

BellesRose
09-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Well I don't have any movies on VHS anymore, I simply want them for home videos and the Walt Disney World Christmas Day Parades that I've been taping since 2003, so that won't be an issue for me.

BrerGnat
09-04-2010, 12:06 PM
I found many of the store bought movies are copy protected and woiuld not let me convert them to DVD. If i am wrong could someone tell me what I may be doing wrong.

You cannot record studio movies to DVD due to copy protection laws. These converters are meant for converting PERSONAL VHS tapes to DVD.

DizneyRox
09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
TBC (TIme Base Correctors) would allow you to media shift your VHS to DVD, however the cost/time associated with it is probably not worth the trouble. VHS quality is far below DVD and the tapes are probably in pretty bad shape making the transfer unwatchable.

It's easy enough to recreate your movie collection with DVDs and BluRay now. Replacing home movies is another story.

I use my camcorder to do the transfers to my computer and burn to DVD from there. No additional hardware required, but does require a camcorder that does Analog to Digital conversion (many do these days). You still won't be able to do commercial VHSs this way, Macrovision has their mitts in everything.

IloveDisney71
09-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I bought a combo VCR-DVD player that is also a DVD RECORDER. It does the VHS-DVD conversion. It was very easy to use and the dvd's looked great BUT I do NOT recommend the brand I bought. It's a Toshiba Model Number D-VR610. I literally used it about 10 times to convert old home movies to dvds and then it STOPPED WORKING. Unfortunately I was very slow in using it so it went out of warranty - the warranty was only for a year. The company said I could ship it to them and they'd repair it for $99. I paid about $150 for it. Seriously, I could just buy a new one! When I get time to convert the rest of my home movies I will do more research and buy a DIFFERENT brand.

BellesRose
09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
I bought a combo VCR-DVD player that is also a DVD RECORDER. It does the VHS-DVD conversion. It was very easy to use and the dvd's looked great BUT I do NOT recommend the brand I bought. It's a Toshiba Model Number D-VR610. I literally used it about 10 times to convert old home movies to dvds and then it STOPPED WORKING. Unfortunately I was very slow in using it so it went out of warranty - the warranty was only for a year. The company said I could ship it to them and they'd repair it for $99. I paid about $150 for it. Seriously, I could just buy a new one! When I get time to convert the rest of my home movies I will do more research and buy a DIFFERENT brand.
Ooh ok, thanks for the info! If I buy one, I will be sure to do all of the DVD's immediately, so I can always return it if it breaks.

alphamommy
09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
We tried this several years ago with little/no success.

We bought 2 different units. We used the first one several times, but it got REALLY confused when we put in a tape that was a few minutes over the amount of time we thought was on it. We tried once or twice after that, but it was like we had blown its mind, and it never worked properly, even for watching VHS or DVDs.

The second unit ate a DVD when we put it in to make sure it was hooked up correctly. It wouldn't eject the disc, and there was no "back door" menu to allow us to force it to eject. We literally returned it to the store about 2 hours after we bought it.

Unfortunately, it's been long enough that I don't remember the brands of either unit. I wish you luck on your quest!

BellesRose
09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
So far, I haven't been able to find any at all! And I can't find a VCR. I mean, it's great that technology keeps advancing, but it's SO frustrating because these home videos mean so much to me!

BrerGnat
09-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Did you try Amazon?

BellesRose
09-07-2010, 12:18 AM
Did you try Amazon?
Yes, I can always buy online, but I want to buy in a store if possible...in case of returns. But thanks!

DizneyRox
09-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Amazon has a fantastic return policy, if you buy from Amazon, not one of their third party sellers.

BrerGnat
09-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Amazon has a fantastic return policy, if you buy from Amazon, not one of their third party sellers.

Yep, very true! I'd go the Amazon route. Bonus is usually no tax and free shipping...

Disney Doll
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I was looking for one about a year ago, but saw mixed reviews on just about every model. Instead I just had our home movies professionally converted to DVD at my local photo store. Just wanted to mention that option.