PDA

View Full Version : Should we go to Fantasmic?

ncrohrs
09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

Never been to this show. DD age 9 really wants to! I think all our kids would enjoy, ages 2.5, 5,7, and 9.

We are going in Feb 2011. Looks like there will be limited times during our stay for this show.

Wondering if you consider this a "must do". Also would it be best to book a dinner package?

Thanks!
Nicole

spoonfulosugar
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I personally think it is a must since you have never done it. I have done it with the dinner at least 3 times and I do think it is worth it. However, it might not be too crowded when you're there in Feb, so you might be able to get away without the package if you wanted to. We love the show!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I think the show is definitely worth going to see, however I would question the value of paying for the dining package. The dining package gives you earl entrance to the show, although I don't know that I'd call it prefered seating or that it's the best seats, it's just reserved seating. Also, with the dining package you may be forced to eat at a time not of your liking.

But as far as the show, most definitely go see it.

AllDisney
09-02-2010, 03:30 PM
You should see the show at least once. It's one of our favorites after seeing it in Disneyland a couple times before they made it available in WDW.

You "might" want to check out the package & see if it will work for your family & schedule. Otherwise CS would be fine:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
It is a "must do" at least once!!:mickey:

W24toISMdirect
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I personally can't stand Fantasmic!

First of all, if you not on a dinner package, DON'T go, it is hands down no question the absolute worst time you'll have waiting for anything at WDW ever. It's literally the worst of waiting for a parade and waiting for an attraction combine. NOTHING is worth what you have to go through to see Fantasmic! without a dinner package. Off season (which is when I've gone) is of ZERO help because there are fewing showings so the crowds are still there.

Second I find the show itself quite underwhelming. The vast VAST majority of the show is familier Disney clips projected against water spray, the live show, pyrotechic, animatronic, fireworks parts of the show are cool but there is way too little of them compared to the boring water screen stuff which goes on forever making the whole expiriance come off as quite cheap IMO.

More than once someone in our group has insisted we bent over backwards to make it to Fantasmic! and we've always regretted it.

Totally skippable IMO.

SBETigg
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I think it's something you should do once. It's an amazing show, but not one I need to see every trip.

Nascfan
09-02-2010, 04:55 PM
It's a must do for us every trip. We really enjoy it. As you are going in the off season, hopefully the crowds won't be TOO bad, but with cutting back on the shows, they might still be crowded. I suggest taking some form of "entertainment" for the little ones for the wait.

Strmchsr
09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I would say at some point you should probably do it, but not with your age kids. The 7 and 9 yr olds would enjoy it, but it might be too much for the younger ones. Also, if you don't have the dinner package, you have to get in line at least 60 min beforehand to see the show, which might be a little long for the little ones.

crltkcagle
09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Yes yes yes! Its an amazing show and I personally like it better than Illuminations. Though I am the odd ball out on that one. Its a great show and a must do in my book! :thumbsup:

elephant rider
09-02-2010, 07:46 PM

First of all, if you not on a dinner package, DON'T go, it is hands down no question the absolute worst time you'll have waiting for anything at WDW ever. It's literally the worst of waiting for a parade and waiting for an attraction combine. NOTHING is worth what you have to go through to see Fantasmic! without a dinner package. Off season (which is when I've gone) is of ZERO help because there are fewing showings so the crowds are still there.

Second I find the show itself quite underwhelming. The vast VAST majority of the show is familier Disney clips projected against water spray, the live show, pyrotechic, animatronic, fireworks parts of the show are cool but there is way too little of them compared to the boring water screen stuff which goes on forever making the whole expiriance come off as quite cheap IMO.

More than once someone in our group has insisted we bent over backwards to make it to Fantasmic! and we've always regretted it.

Totally skippable IMO.

Agreed 100%.

I really don't see the appeal with this show. :confused: The wife and I saw it one time and that was plenty.

Gator
09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
OK, so the guy above who doesn't like it sounds likes he hates all of WDW because, let's face it, WDW is shows, characters, cartoon projections, and fireworks. And I've taken my kids from 1 up to 4 and they weren't too scared at anything, so don't worry about that.

It is definitely a must do. It's a must do on every trip. When it gets to the end of the show, you will be amazed and moved with great emotion. I guarantee it.

hoop de do
09-02-2010, 07:59 PM
We see it every trip, that's 2 or 3 times a year.
It's a must do for us. I think you'll have a great time. Let us know.
Have a great vaca. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ncrohrs
09-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok, so first off, thank you for all these opinions! That is why I love intercot! If unsure, just make a post and you get plenty of answers:mickey:

Well I ended up first looking at when Fantasmic will be showing during our trip. Turns out it will only be on one day during our trip, Feb. 3rd. So I decided to make this our DHS day. I went ahead and booked a dinner package mainly because my kids don't do well waiting in long long lines (one of the reasons we are going this time of year!) The dinner is early, 4 pm, but we are doing a character breakfast buffet so I think this will last until an early dinner (with maybe a snack in between!)

For the life of me, I don't see why they don't do more shows. I know its off season, but one show during a six day span?!

Thank you again for helping me make this decision! Sounds like the majority of you really enjoy this show, if not every trip you make, at least some of them.

I think we need to experience it ourselves and see! Who knows maybe it will be a "must do" for our family!

Nicole

Briansmom
09-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Great decision on your part cuz it is an AWESOME show! :mickey:

JPL
09-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Not really a big fan of the show I think mainly because I saw the Disneyland Version first and it blows the WDW version away in every aspect of the show. But you made a great choice booking the dining package I would never bother seeing it without the dinner package.

Melanie
09-02-2010, 09:33 PM
We're big fans of Fantasmic! and will see it any way (with or without dinner package). My kids enjoyed it from an early age. And for me, I'd much rather arrive early at the amphitheater, get our seats and then get snacks, etc. as opposed to sitting on a curb waiting for a parade. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

MickeysEars
09-02-2010, 09:33 PM
a must do for us! :fworks:

W24toISMdirect
09-02-2010, 09:39 PM
OK, so the guy above who doesn't like it sounds likes he hates all of WDW because, let's face it, WDW is shows, characters, cartoon projections, and fireworks. And I've taken my kids from 1 up to 4 and they weren't too scared at anything, so don't worry about that.

It is definitely a must do. It's a must do on every trip. When it gets to the end of the show, you will be amazed and moved with great emotion. I guarantee it.

Yes, I'm on a WDW board because I hate all of WDW.

I LOVE shows, characters, and fireworks... and Fantasmic! has very little of them. I'm even cool with cartoon projections unless that's 90% of what I get after waiting in giant crowd in order to see shows, characters, and fireworks.

linedropper
09-03-2010, 01:25 AM
No Brainer, GO

Have seen it 4 times, each time I pick up something i Missed! :mickey:

Nini
09-03-2010, 02:24 AM

Totally skippable IMO.

OMG!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself! I mean, I'm glad I saw it once, but never again. I couldn't believe how much they used the water screens. For us it's not worth the time or effort. Give me Illuminations anyday!

Denise :mickey:

LVT
09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
love it
especially showboat at end with all the characters

ANG
09-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I also think it's a must do if you've never seen it before.

mainemajor
09-03-2010, 05:46 PM

Totally skippable IMO.

I agree. Been there, more than once and if I never see it again it will b too soon.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-03-2010, 09:11 PM
This is my all time favorite night time show. I have to see it at least once every trip. Last month we waited in line for an hour and then they cancelled it! So I planned on seeing it another day and made sure I got there! Love it and you'll enjoy it too. My nephew was 2.5 when he saw it the first time and he wasn't scared at all.

Melanie
09-03-2010, 09:16 PM
OMG!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself! I mean, I'm glad I saw it once, but never again. I couldn't believe how much they used the water screens. For us it's not worth the time or effort. Give me Illuminations anyday!

And I have similar feelings on Illuminations. Haven't seen it for years! :bolt:

But seriously, just another post that proves it's all about personal preference and everyone should see a show or try an attraction at least once to see what they might enjoy themselves.

Nini
09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
But seriously, just another post that proves it's all about personal preference and everyone should see a show or try an attraction at least once to see what they might enjoy themselves.

:D I agree 100%!

Denise :mickey:

GrmGrninGost
09-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I love this show! It is a wonderful production. Absolutely a must do every trip! We did the dinner package once, I do not consider it a necessity at all. I seldom have to "stand" in line more than a few minutes. We try to go 45-60 minutes before the show starts. We may have to stand for a few minutes, but once they start seating the line moves very quickly. Once you are seated, try to have a toy or book to keep each (or all) child/children entertained. We often buy snacks and drinks at this time. There are a couple of unexpected, really loud spots in the show. Usually my kids would be startled momentarily, but no major problem. I would definitely try it once! :mickey:

Altair
09-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I'll agree, the first 10 minutes are a bit uneven, but the last 10 are pure Disney magic and to me it doesn't get much better.:thumbsup:

brownie
09-05-2010, 09:23 AM
If you've never been, I would go. It is worth it! The dining package has changed since the last time we did it, and I think it may not offer much more of an advantage now than standing in line.

Bellerella
09-06-2010, 09:00 PM
We haven't gotten to see the show, but I say definately do the dinner package! When we booked our trip back in March, we had decided we wanted to see Fantasmic, and called Disney about the package. The CM on the phone told us that the package was not necessary and that there was plenty of seating. Come August when we went on our trip, we arrived 45 min-1 hr before the show like we were instructed to do. There was a CM near the entrance who was shouting 'standing room only!' and we were so upset! We did not want to stand during the entire show, and would have booked the dinner package like originally planned if we had known. So if you really want to see the show and enjoy the experience, get the dinner package. We will definately be doing this on our next trip!

SleepinB
09-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I agree with the Intercotee below. I have tried Fantasmic three separate times just in case i missed something. I even tried the dinner pacakge, which really eliminated the horrific waiting and sitting process for me. But it didnt matter. Fantasmic is just not for me. :shrug:

First of all, if you're not on a dinner package, DON'T go, it is hands down no question the absolute worst time you'll have waiting for anything at WDW ever. It's literally the worst of waiting for a parade and waiting for an attraction combine. NOTHING is worth what you have to go through to see Fantasmic! without a dinner package. Off season (which is when I've gone) is of ZERO help because there are fewing showings so the crowds are still there.

Totally skippable IMO.

Having said that, I truly believe it is a must do if you have never gone. So many people love it. As you stated, "It might be a must do for your family". :mickey:

cer
09-09-2010, 01:01 AM
I think any WDW experience is a must do if you haven't ever done it. THEN you can decide if it is worth doing again.

I hope you enjoy the show. I do prefer waiting for that show to start over the other night-time shows/fireworks. The seating is much better (you actually have one!) Getting out of the theater can be trying. I like to wait on the crowds to empty some before I leave. Since you are going in Feb, make sure you have something to keep you warm.

Have a great trip to the world! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I think that you should experience it and form your own opinion. That's one of the great aspects of going to WDW, so many varied shows to appeal to such a diverse audience.
Hope that you have a great time!

Ian
09-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Look ... I'll be brutally honest. I hate Fantasmic. It is, without a doubt, the biggest waste of time on Disney property, IMO. Waiting in line for a ridiculous amount of time for the privlege of being herded like cattle into an outdoor arena where I can sit on a rock hard metal bench and watch Disney movies that I've already seen being projected onto spraying water (that will also, oh by the way, get me soaked if I'm sitting too close to the stage!) thus making it very hard to see? Ummm ... no thanks ...

But there are tons of folks who love the show, so really you should go see it yourself and make up your own mind. Plus, your kids should have the opportunity to see it, as well.

I'd go if I was you.

azcavalier
09-09-2010, 10:10 AM
It's amazing how polarizing Fantasmic! is.

Saw the DL version 14 years ago and thought it was great. Loved it.

Then, three years ago, my DW and I got the dinner package on our anniversary trip, and both thought it was just boring.

It's a dream sequence. Mickey goes to sleep and has dreams, which are clips from various Disney movies, projected on water screens (which is a cool technology). Then he starts having nightmares, which are clips of all these Disney Villians. In the end, he does battle with Malificent (live action, not a cartoon). There are fireworks, a pretty good soundtrack, etc.

I would never wait an hour for this show...too much time wasted that could have been spent on other great stuff at DHS. IF we were to do it again, I would do what you're doing and get the dinner package. Your seats won't be the best, but at least you won't have to wait.

Like others have said, it's worth doing once, just for the experience, and you can make up your own mind.

In MY mind, it's half stage show, half fireworks show, and not very impressive as either. It was overly long (too many clips of movies I've seen) and just not worth the time.

Of course, i'd rather do Fantasmic! then the "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" again. That was awful.

#1donaldfan
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
And I have similar feelings on Illuminations. Haven't seen it for years! :bolt:

YEP !!! That's what makes the world go round, huh, differences, otherwise we'd all have white cars and similar houses !!:cool:

I love FANTASMIC !! IMHO it's a wonderful display in every aspect !! I did Illuminations once and thought it was boring, but that me, right ..... !! Go, see for yourself and report back with your opinion of it .... :thumbsup:

DisneyDoug2
09-09-2010, 12:06 PM
It is one of the best shows at Disney! A must see.

Greenlawler
09-10-2010, 02:20 AM
I have kids 7,5,3 they LOVE it and have ever since every one of them was young. Of course it is a little scarey for some kids.

Let me just say it is my single favorite thing at Disney...nuff said.

whitney37354
09-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Go at least once & do the dinner package!

Gator
09-11-2010, 01:56 PM
I guess all I can say about all these people who hate Fantasmic! and Illuminations is....Great! More room for me.:thumbsup:

Mickeydream
09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
We love Fantasmic!! BUT, next time will do the dinner package because we did have to stand (and the view was very obstructed) during the entire show. One advantage is that we were the first ones out of the theater tho. A must see for us. :smickey:

dixielandings
09-14-2010, 12:24 AM
I always tell people who ask me for WDW planning advice - do everything you can at least once. No one can tell you if you will enjoy something or not - they can only tell you if they themselves enjoyed it and why or why not.

SO - get the dining package so you don't have to wait with the crowd (it is a madhouse - I can't imagine doing that with kids) and go see it. I think it's a terrific show (though I do think the DL version is better) and I'm a bigger fan of Wishes and IllumiNations.