PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong DL

danicafan
09-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm over in The Phillipines for my job right now and will be going to Hong Kong DL for the holiday weekend. Has anyone been recently. I looked at the website and realize it is alot smaller than my beloved DW, and noticed the park hours are from 10:30 am to 7:30 pm. Is the park pretty close to other Hong Kong attractions or is it easy to get a cab to see some of the other sites while I am there. I'm staying at the Disney Hollywood Hotel, do you know if there are any charcter meals at Hong Kong DL. I'm very excited because the cost was really inexpensive for the flight, hotel and park tix! Definetely a once in a lifetime experience!

Melanie
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
How exciting!

We really enjoyed our visit to HK Disneyland. It's in a beautiful setting in the mountains, but yes, it is small (at least now until the expansion is complete). We had a day and a half there, and did many things numerous times. The big attractions are Space Mountain, Philharmagic, It's A Small World, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, Autopia and Stitch Encounter. Shows - Festival of the Lion King and the Golden Mickeys.

Space Mt., Buzz Lightyear and It's a Small World are superior to the WDW versions, so don't miss them! Also, Autopia is very nicely done, with two tracks and pretty landscaping. Stitch Encounter has shows in Cantonese, Mandarin and English, so you need to check the guide and plan accordingly to catch an English showing. The Jungle Cruise has three queues, one for each of the previously mentioned languages.

The resort is located on Lantau Island, which is pretty far out from the city. The airport is also on Lantau Island, along with the cable cars to Po Lin Monastery and the Big Buddha. We were on a tour, so we had bus transportation, but from what I understand, the public transportation is very good. There is a stop at HK Disneyland so you could hop on there to get into the city (Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, Victoria's Peak).

We stayed at the Hollywood Hotel and loved it. The other hotel (Disneyland Hotel) is very similar to the Grand Floridian. We had breakfast every morning at Chef Mickey (which is a buffet) but it's not a character meal. The pool is large and nicely themed. There is a character meal at the Disneyland Hotel, but we didn't eat there.

Hope I've helped some, and I hope you have a great trip! It really is a pretty resort. :mickey:

danicafan
09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know we had a GREAT time at Hong Kong Disneyland. Although it is much smaller than the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World it was fun. No crowds over the labor day weekend, longest wait time 10 minutes. We were able to do the entire park/rides/shows in a day and a half. Was a little surprised at how small Sleeping Beauty Castle was!

Melanie
09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Was a little surprised at how small Sleeping Beauty Castle was!

Guess you've never been to Disneyland. ;)

Glad you had a great time with low crowds. We were there Christmas day and crowds were low as well. Hopefully with the expansion they'll be able to pull in more people.

Katzateer
09-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Glad you had a good time.

A friend of mine was there when it first opened - she lived in Hong Kong for 5 years and was lucky enough to be there during that time (her husband was working in China). And I was lucky enough to have her send me Disney stamps that were put out right before the park opened!!