PDA

View Full Version : We were sooo lucky....

Dsnygirl
09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
So, a little story...

Last week, my DH totalled his car. :( His cute little almost paid off VW Jetta, that we were going to keep running for another year or two, happily going w/o car pymts, as my Pilot was paid off in the spring.

Fate had other plans, apparently...

He called me at 7:30, on our DD's b'day no less :rolleyes:, to say he'd been in a 4-car pileup and was fine, but could I come get him, his car wasn't driveable, etc.

Only after we'd been talking for a minute or two and I got done clearing the nighttime cobwebs out of my head did I remember - we'd JUST CHANGED OUR CAR INSURANCE -- AT MIDNIGHT!!! :faint: I didn't even have a policy number yet to give my DH so the police could call it in, not even a scrap of paper with proof. So, online I went, as that is how we'd signed up... got a phone number, called & spoke with an agent to get all our info, and then relayed it all to my DH.... and waited. :sad:

To my amazement, the insurance company didn't blink an eye... they just stepped in, took over, made the calls, got our car to a body shop which then gave my DH a complimentary car to use, an agent saw his car Monday and gave us the bad news that it was indeed totalled... and then the amazing news that the value of the car was MUCH higher than we anticipated, PLUS sales tax... none of which we expected. Because of this, my DH was able to go car shopping that night, and brought home a new, beautiful Honda Accord last night. :D

I know it could have been MUCH worse for us... he was not deemed "at fault" at all b/c he was hit from behind and pushed into the two cars that had slowed down ahead of him on the highway... he could have been badly hurt, as he was pushed under the car ahead of him but he was fine... we could have signed up with a company that declined to cover us after only being with them online for 7 hours... we could have stayed with our old company, where we had a much higher deductible (although we're getting our deductible back b/c he wasn't at fault, another wonderful thing...) and the whole process could have taken MUCH longer... his car could have been valued at a much lower price, making the purchase of a new car that much more difficult... the VW had a number of pricey repairs we were going to have to deal w/ soon, and we've now been saved that cost... there were SO many variables at play, and every single one of them came out in our favor. I don't know how, other than God's providence and watching over us, but there it is.... and I just had to share. :)

(oh, and the blessing of having two DD's who didn't give us a word of grief over all the hours we had to put into this, running my DH everywhere he had to be on my older DD's 12th b'day - thus shortening her day at the opening of the NYS Fair for her b'day - and all the craziness and discussions we had to have and go through, wondering what would happen, deciding how to handle everything, car shopping, you name it... all in the span of 6 days. We're taking them to the Fair tomorrow & Saturday, ALL day, to make up for it! :cloud9:)

Mickey'sGirl
09-02-2010, 08:53 AM
The planets were aligned indeed, Blythe!

I am so glad it all worked out for you and your family! :thumbsup:

Goofy4TheWorld
09-02-2010, 09:01 AM
So who was the insurance company?

disneymom15
09-02-2010, 09:52 AM
We also had a good insurance situation with my father in law. He had to move in with us after having a stroke in January. We're in the process of trying to get his house ready to sell, so we had a rummage sale in his garage. We had to park his car in the driveway for a few days until the garage got cleaned out. During that time, we got hit with a hail storm. Dings all over his car. The insurance company paid him $6700.00. We were going to try to sell it before the damage and we thought we'd be lucky to get $2000.00 for it. Needless to say, he laughed all the way to the bank.

DisneyorBust
09-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Sorry to read about the accident, just glad that your DH is healthy.

laprana
09-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Wow! I'm so glad everything worked out so well for you guys! :thumbsup: That's a lot to deal with all at once and dealing with insurance companies is usually a stressful, drawn-out ordeal. Looks like you and your DH had some :pixie: on your side!

caryrae
09-02-2010, 10:24 AM
The new Honda Accords are nice looking cars.

faline
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Blythe, that is one big bump in the road! Glad it all worked out for you!

RedSoxFan
09-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Glad your DH is OK. Accidents are scary. DS18 was hit from behind in February (the day before he turned 18) on his way to basketball practice at the high school. The speed limit is 55mph on that road and he was pushed into the other lane into oncoming traffic --- the car swerved not to hit Connor head on. He was stopped at the intersection taking a left. His car was totaled and we got more than what it was worth. He played in the playoff game that night and spent the following morning (his b'day) in the ER with severe whiplash. He was so lucky and to this day, will not take a left hand turn at that intersection if there are cars behind him.

Have fun at the fair. I wanted to go last weekend to see Styx; but DH didn't want to deal with the crowds!!

Disney4us2
09-02-2010, 10:53 AM
I am glad you DH is fine, and your DD's are so understanding. Enjoy the fair and happy birthday to DD.

Accidents are very scary. Almost 3 years ago my father was in an accident (his fault) and his car was totalled. He never replaced his car, I am his driver now.

Dsnygirl
09-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Progressive -- my girls LOVE Flo and we went for a quote from them on that alone... :blush: ... had checked with quite a few others beforehand, and theirs turned out to be the best, which we thought was funny at the time. Now we know it was a blessing for sure!!

Tracey, we almost went to Styx AND Lady Antebellum... but Styx was after my DD's b'day party and we were ready for some relaxing... and Lady A was forecasted to have over 20,000 people!! So, we decided to avoid the crowds (and heat!) too... thank goodness, as more like 30,000 showed up and the traffic was CRAZY! But we are taking the girls to see Mitchell Musso (from Disney's Hannah Montana show) on Saturday... THAT ought to be interesting... ;)

Thanks for all the comments... it's nice to be able to share!

RedSoxFan
09-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Blythe: The Fair was busy (judging by the news) because of Lady Antebellum and Justin Beiber. I couldn't imagine being there. Chris did a story there last week on the Fair food (interviewed giggly girls) and said it was very very busy. Have fun at the Mitchell Musso concert. I'm sure Kourtney would enjoy that!!

TheVBs
09-02-2010, 02:29 PM
So glad your DH wasn't hurt! And what amazing news about how everything worked out! :) It's so wonderful when something great comes out of such a bad situation.

Mousefever
09-03-2010, 02:23 AM
I wish this were Facebook so I could push the "like" button!

Amy

DizneyRox
09-03-2010, 07:37 AM
My guess would have been Amica, but I was sure it wasn't All State...

brownie
09-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm glad your husband is okay and everything worked out with the new insurance company.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm so glad that your husband was ok and great news about the new car!

crazypoohbear
09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
so glad that everything worked out alright. And thank God your husband is okay.

brivers222
09-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Congrats!

That happened to me in 2004... I was going to be getting a KIA Spectra (god knows why now... POS car) so I took in my '98 Saturn sl1 for a tradein appraisal on a friday and i was to bring it back in on monday for the exchange. They offered me $1000, which was fine because i wanted to get a new car and didn't want the hastle of selling it by myself.

We the very next day (saturday) i was involved in a huge accident which started with me be broadsided, spinning across 4 lanes of express way... just to finally stop the car in enough time for a huge SUV to plow into my side of the car... Amazingly neither my wife or myself were hurt. The car however, no longer had anything attached infront of the dashboard.

Well i called insurance and they broke the obvious news that it was totalled... then they floored me.... $3600 for the price (minus my $500 deductible) is what the payout was. A definite silver lining to a dark dark cloud!

Dsnygirl
09-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Congrats!

That happened to me in 2004... I was going to be getting a KIA Spectra (god knows why now... POS car) so I took in my '98 Saturn sl1 for a tradein appraisal on a friday and i was to bring it back in on monday for the exchange. They offered me $1000, which was fine because i wanted to get a new car and didn't want the hastle of selling it by myself.

We the very next day (saturday) i was involved in a huge accident which started with me be broadsided, spinning across 4 lanes of express way... just to finally stop the car in enough time for a huge SUV to plow into my side of the car... Amazingly neither my wife or myself were hurt. The car however, no longer had anything attached infront of the dashboard.

Well i called insurance and they broke the obvious news that it was totalled... then they floored me.... $3600 for the price (minus my $500 deductible) is what the payout was. A definite silver lining to a dark dark cloud!
Wow!! Thank goodness you and your wife were fine... that's amazing, after an accident like that! You definitely had some angels watching out for you that day.... :thumbsup:

And isn't it amazing the difference b/w trade-in value & what insurance pays out?? We were floored... of course, my DH still is wishing we were about to be w/o a car payment and I think is still in shock every time he goes out to his car! I am just thankful he was fine, and am taking the blessing of not having a bunch of repairs to do on a 6yr old car in exchange for the new car pymt...:)

brivers222
09-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Wow!! Thank goodness you and your wife were fine... that's amazing, after an accident like that! You definitely had some angels watching out for you that day.... :thumbsup:

And isn't it amazing the difference b/w trade-in value & what insurance pays out?? We were floored... of course, my DH still is wishing we were about to be w/o a car payment and I think is still in shock every time he goes out to his car! I am just thankful he was fine, and am taking the blessing of not having a bunch of repairs to do on a 6yr old car in exchange for the new car pymt...:)

It took a good several months before I felt almost normal driving... I am still (6 years later) leary of people driving right next to me or merging onto the expressway... Times heals most things... I am so glad that he wasn't hurt as well.

hehe i know the feeling! I traded in that stupid KIA spectra this year for a brand new Honda FIT.... dont you just love the Hondas??