PDA

View Full Version : So, we just got back from DC

luvdiznee
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM
I have to ask what is up with the rats? :sick:And I'm not talking about the good old politicians there. The ones that if you are out walking after dark, not even so late (about 8'ish) they are out for their stroll, too! :thedolls:

I mean, we stayed at L'Enfant Plaza and saw one in front of the hotel. Is this just the way DC is?

All in all our trip was great! We did not get to do all on our list, so we want to go back again. But, now I am a bit nervous. :(

dnickels
09-02-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm pretty sure the reality is they're everywhere, whether we see them or not.

I know I've been sitting at an outdoor restaurant at (won't say it or you probably wouldn't want to back) and have seen rats scurry across the rafters or pass underfoot. Some places like Disney can put out enough rat poison to keep the populations minimal in guest areas but across an entire city it's probably impossible to do.

Unless you're going to try and crawl through the sewers with them or pick them up I don't think you have anything to worry about.

NJGIRL
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
We have vacationed in DC many times and have never seen a rat so I am a little surprised. As mentioned all cities have them so as long as they are not running around in your hotel you will be fine.

BTW how did you like your hotel? That is my favorite hotel in DC.

BrerGnat
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Rats are EVERYWHERE. You're lucky that you don't see them more often, is the reality.

I see rats occasionally, running through the bushes in playgrounds I take my kids to...during the day! I live in a VERY suburban town.

You gotta just look the other way and hope they aren't hanging out in the kitchens of restaurants you are eating at.

MNNHFLTX
09-03-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree that rats are everywhere, whether you see them or not. We have never seen a rat in our neighborhood, until the other night where we found a dead one in our driveway (ugh!) Apparently either my husband must have hit it with our cars. :ack:

Anyway, what all did you do in DC? What were the high points?

luvdiznee
09-04-2010, 08:17 PM
BTW how did you like your hotel? That is my favorite hotel in DC.

L'Enfant was great. Nice and convenient with the Metro right below. I was surprised how big the room was. We could have fit a twin size bed in there, on top of the 2 double beds. Though I was wishing for more dining choices in the hotel. For some reason, when we went to the restaurant for dinner, nothing appealed to me.

Anyway, what all did you do in DC? What were the high points?

High points: Spy Museum, Crime and Punishment Museum and of course the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. White House and Capital at night. Beautiful seeing them light up. Arlington Cemetary and Lincoln Memorial, very moving. Was nice to take a break from the museums and visit the National Aquarium, Pentagon Mall and Madame Toussauds. Had some great food at the ChopHouse & Brewery. And great desert at Red Velvet Cupcakery.

Can't wait to go back again, as there was not enough time to do all we wanted. :cool:

MNNHFLTX
09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
High points: Spy Museum, Crime and Punishment Museum and of course the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. White House and Capital at night. Beautiful seeing them light up. Arlington Cemetary and Lincoln Memorial, very moving. Was nice to take a break from the museums and visit the National Aquarium, Pentagon Mall and Madame Toussauds. Had some great food at the ChopHouse & Brewery. And great desert at Red Velvet Cupcakery.
Thanks, you've given me some ideas for a future trip! :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
09-10-2010, 08:42 AM
L'Enfant was great. Nice and convenient with the Metro right below. I was surprised how big the room was. We could have fit a twin size bed in there, on top of the 2 double beds. Though I was wishing for more dining choices in the hotel. For some reason, when we went to the restaurant for dinner, nothing appealed to me.

I had to laugh when I read this. I agree with you 100%. While we didn't eat dinner at the restaurant because we didn't care for the menu we did do room service for breakfast. I had french toast one morning and it was :ack:. I had never seen french toast done like that before. It was swimming in some type of liquid. I guess the food there was just too high class for us. From then on we stuck with bagels for breakfast during our stay.:D

Janmac
09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
We took a Grayline tour some seven or eight years ago around DC. We were camping at a Maryland campground - very nice amenities, near one of the beltways and DH was really beginning to have troubles with his right knee and arthritis. He and I had both been to DC numerous times but we were wanting to show our two youngest grandkids some of the sights.

The Grayline folks had a shuttle that picked us up at our campground and took us into DC to a place their tours left from. We were there early on a weekday in July and almost had the bus to ourselves. Grayline also picks up from some hotels too.

We saw the usual monuments, Arlington, etc., and that was nice as we didn't have to look for parking, or walk long distances (more importantly) from parking to monuments. But the best thing was that the tour took us past some places we had never thought to go see. We went to Embassy Row, and only drove by, but that was kind of cool seeing all those flags from different countries and the neat old (former) houses the embassies are in. And we went to the Iwo Jima monument, which we've never done, and near that is the Norway carillion, sent to the US by Norway as thanks for helping in WW2. How cool is that? I don't think we got to hear the bells, but the carillion tower is neat.

We took the half day tour, which our then 9 year old granddaughter said "filled up" her brain. I would highly recommend that tour as a good bargain, between the cost and what we saw.

Also, if you have never seen the changing of the guard at Arlington, that is a must see, as well. Very moving.

Jan

luvdiznee
09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Thanks, you've given me some ideas for a future trip! :thumbsup:

Good to know.

I had to laugh when I read this. I agree with you 100%. While we didn't eat dinner at the restaurant because we didn't care for the menu we did do room service for breakfast. I had french toast one morning and it was :ack:. I had never seen french toast done like that before. It was swimming in some type of liquid. I guess the food there was just too high class for us. From then on we stuck with bagels for breakfast during our stay.:D

And we were going to do room service, too. Though it would have been for dinner but that menu didnt even appeal. But their wings were good. Very tasty. :thumbsup:

Also, if you have never seen the changing of the guard at Arlington, that is a must see, as well. Very moving.

Jan

This would have been great to see. Next trip, definitely.