PDA

View Full Version : My DD needs surgery!

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
AGH...

Isabel (3) has had an ear infection about every 4-5 weeks since last fall. So, now, she has qualified herself for tubes in her ears.

Anyone else have to have this done or your children have this done?

She does have to go under but, no iv - just the gas mask.

How was recovery? Did it work? What age did they fall out? What types of precautions do we have to take while their in? - I've just heard of ear plugs when swimming.

yjgirl32
09-01-2010, 09:23 AM
My DS7 had them done when he was 5. They worked he didn't have any ear infections for a long time. They fall out on their own and more than likely you won't see them. Now he did have the surgery again along with his adnoids- but most of the time kids don't have to have it again. He does use the ear plugs and we got two different color ear plugs to know which ear they go in. The first time we had the surgery he only needed to use the ear plugs when in "dirty water" like the ocean, lake, river- not chlorinated water or "clean water. He is also on a swim team and has been for 3 years now and this does not effect his ears. We have a family history of ear problems. The procedure is very easy and yes no iv. He didn't even take a day to recover- he was up and moving around that day. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

CanadianWDWFan
09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
My oldest son had them when he turned 2. He had been dealing with ear infections almost constantly since birth, and experienced several febrile seizures as a result of his extreme temperatures. The choice was a no brainer in our case .... He was put under early in the morning,the procedure was done, and we were skipping out of the hospital by lunchtime! He never experienced any discomfort. They fell out over time, I can't even recall when, but we found the little grommit and that was that. He never had another ear infection as a small child (though he did have a doozy last winter!). His hearing was tested at less than 25% before the procedure, and is now considered normal.

We never took any extra precautions after the fact (he would not tolerate ear plugs), and there was never any issue or fuss. All in all it was a simple and successful procedure. The hardest part was for my wife when the nurses took him away in the red wagon for his surgery! Good luck to you all!

Kenny1113
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
DS6 had this done When he was about 18mo-2yo. He had a lot of ear infections and is allergic to the more popular(better) antibiotics that are used for treatment. Like others have said the recovery was not a big deal, he was cranky(while awake, but mostly slept) when we went home after the procedure(he also had adenoids removed). The next day he was fine! :) He had to wear ear plugs and a band that went around his head to cover his ears anytime he went into the water. He soon learned that he was not allowed to go into the pool (or ocean, when we went boating) without his plugs and band. I actually saw one when it fell out when he was about 3 , the other one I did not.
Best of luck to your little one.

Scott C
09-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Do it now -- don't hesitate -- everyone's life will be much easier

Thanks
Scott

cer
09-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Don't worry about this. Get it done and you will be glad you did. So much worse to have to deal with all the ear infections/antibiotics. My son also got tubes. It was really no big deal, solved the ear infection issue. He wore little plugs at bath time or water play. He is now 9 and a healthy guy!

Like other posters have said, the hardest part is when they take them back to do the procedure. It only takes a very little while and then you get them back and can cuddle them awake. I don't even recall there being a recovery time...

elmjimmlm
09-01-2010, 02:05 PM
My DD was 18 months when she had her tubes put in and she did great with the whole thing...She was put to sleep because of her age but it was so fast they told us they were bringing her out of it right after they put her under...She didn't seem to have any pain after and we went home within an hour...With her being so small, they did have to take the tubes out because they never did fall out...We did have to make sure that no water went into her ear so when we bathed her we would put cotton in and that worked great...Since she had this done she has never had another infection...I am so glad we did it...Let us know how it goes...:mickey:

Georgesgirl1
09-01-2010, 02:07 PM
DS had this done in March at the age of 15 months. His was due to fluid in his ears which was causing hearing loss. The procedure was super quick. DH and I didn't even have a chance to get settled into the recovery room before they brought him back to us. He was super fussy and disoriented for the first 20 minutes after he woke up. Then he fell asleep on the way home and napped for a few hours. When he woke up, he was as good as new. We even went out to eat with him that evening!
Our doctor said that ear plugs were not neccesary in chlorinated water, but would be needed in lakes, rivers, etc.

Melanie
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
My oldest son had this done when he was 18 months. He was put under, but it was a breeze, and he never had problems afterwards. I don't remember having to do anything special afterwards. So glad we had it done! Don't worry momma, she'll be fine! :)

TheVBs
09-01-2010, 03:05 PM
I have no experience with this, but have had a child who had to go through surgery and know how stressful it can be. Lots of :pixie: for you all!

WDWFanatic
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck and send healing prayer and pixie dust your way!

Hope it all goes smoothly.

SodaPopMGK
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Jennifer,

My 16 year old son has had ten sets of tubes starting at 9 months and he still has them. I am a huge fan of tubes because starting at 5 months of age he had non stop ear infections we were at the doctors every 3-4 days changing his meds and using preventative antibiotics did nothing for him but with the tubes he is able to have a normal life. Also, even after ten sets he has minimal scarring and no hearing loss(knock on wood) and I have been assured by his doctor that they now have the ability to recreate the ear drum if there are any issues. My son has always bounced out of surgery and is back to his old self in a few hours. I don't know what your hospital does but starting with the 2nd surgery when my son was 18 months, my husband was able to go with him into the OR until he fell asleep which helped alleviate our stress, I wasn't allowed because I was pregnant. Also, I have never let him in the shower, bath or any water without ear plugs, I have his made at a hearing aid place for around $100 but it is well worth the price because any water in the ear generally causes an ear infection. My son is a competitive swimmer so the earplugs work. As others have said they will usually just fall out. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Ruth

PirateLover
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I had tubes put in and adenoids taken out when I was in 2nd grade. The procedure was fine and I was out of the hospital very quickly. I haven't had an ear infection since.

I am surprised at how many people report their children not needing to use the ear plugs. I had to use them all the time, even in chlorinated water, until they fell out. The first summer after the surgery they had me be extra cautious and wear a swim cap that covered my ears as well. About 2 years after the surgery I was at a pool party, and realized I had forgotten my plugs. Not wanting to miss out on the fun, I went in anyway. I was in pain for 2-3 days after, with discharge coming out of my ears.

One more thing. If they do recommend for Isabel to wear plugs, definitely get PLUGS and not PUTTY. I used the ear putty for a while but after the pool mishap I was always worried about it not being in far enough so I would constantly fiddling with it and pushing it in deeper and deeper. One day I pushed too much and it went so far in, it hit my ear drum. It was in a tough spot and any time someone tried to remove it I had terrible pain and I couldn't sit still. My doctor had to put me under to remove it.:(

d_m_n_n
09-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Do it now -- don't hesitate -- everyone's life will be much easier

Thanks
Scott

Totally agree...100%!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DS had them when he was 17 months. There was literally no recovery time for him! We had it done in the morning and was eating lunch at noon. He was a completely different child when he woke up...as happy as he had ever been. They were in his ears for quite a while (the dr's were always surprised when they were still there). I think they finally fell out when he was 6.

tinksmom02
09-01-2010, 10:28 PM
DD (now 8) had tubes put in when she was 17months. It was literally a 5 minute procedure. I'll be honest, it was a horrifying experience--no parent wants to leave her child in the OR--but the surgery was short and sweet, we had to do ear drops for a while after. But she was FINE, and I don't think she's had an ear infection since. Like your DD, mine was getting them every 6 weeks or so prior to the tubes.

She was in swim class at that time, and I think we missed one week's class, but then she was right back in the pool. She's never needed ear plugs. (I think doctors all have their own feelings on ear plugs.)

They never fell out...actually, we went back to her ENT when she was 3 because of her enlarged tonsils. He had previously said that if the tubes didn't fall out in 18 months, he would remove them (again, I think each doctor has their own opinion on this), so we decided to take out her tonsils, adenoids, and tubes all in one shot (THAT surgery was longer but she was older so coped better. Recovery, however, was not a breeze.).

I am absolutely glad we decided to have the procedure done. It'll be harder on you than on your daughter, I'm sure! Best wishes to you and your DD! :pixie:

Jeri
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
My youngest has had them 3 times. They did them because of fluid and hearing loss, and not infections. The second time they did adnoids with them and the third they did tonsills too.

The first time was a breeze, I got to hold him while they out him under. ( all 3 times actually ). The surgery took 5 minutes for both ears, and we were leaving for home within 20 minutes of surgery. He was running and jumping like nothing happened.
They other 2 were a bit harder because he had other things done, but they weren't too bad.

Good Luck, but you will be so glad you did it.

Jennifer_and_Chris
09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
thank you everyone for your stories and well wishes.

Isabel's surgery is scheduled for Friday the 10th and while I'm freakin' out and will be on the verge of hysteria (her older sister is starting Kindergarten a few days before this - talk about an emotional mommy!), DH and I believe this is the best thing for her health.

And another benefit is that she won't have an ear infection for our October trip! :thumbsup: