PDA

View Full Version : Alittle disgrunteld

ANG
08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm very glad we joined the DVC so this isn't a bashing post.

But I'm getting angry at the lack of discounts. We are staying at our home resort (using point) this November. Why do we have to pay full price for dining and park tickets? :scratch:

At most, our MWR can get us $20 off per park admission for our 6 day pass.

seanyred
08-31-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm very glad we joined the DVC so this isn't a bashing post.

But I'm getting angry at the lack of discounts. We are staying at our home resort (using point) this November. Why do we have to pay full price for dining and park tickets? :scratch:

At most, our MWR can get us $20 off per park admission for our 6 day pass.

I can't tell you why exactly, but I can tell you that you do get a $100 discount off the annual pass. So if you have two trips within the same "year" (for example Nov 2010 till Nov 2011) than it could save you money.

Also there is discounts for dinning when paying cash (usualy between 10% and 20%) but not with the dinning plan.

I do agree that they could offer more discounts for tickets but perks are just that...extras that they don't have to provide.

MW1218
08-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Not a Disney-bashing post, but Disney knows that you are locked into visiting them each year, or you run the risking of squandering your points. They know that you're coming down anyway. The discounts are to put heads in beds in the hotels, and entice people who would otherwise maybe not have taken a trip into going down.

ANG
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
I can't tell you why exactly, but I can tell you that you do get a $100 discount off the annual pass. So if you have two trips within the same "year" (for example Nov 2010 till Nov 2011) than it could save you money.

Also there is discounts for dinning when paying cash (usualy between 10% and 20%) but not with the dinning plan.

I do agree that they could offer more discounts for tickets but perks are just that...extras that they don't have to provide.

Yes this is what I was told. I guess I meant to say that there are no discounts that will apply to US this trip. We won't be going again until 2012 so an annual pass doesn't work.

BrerGnat
08-31-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure why some DVC members "expect" to get discounts and other perks/special treatment. :confused:

I'd suggest taking advantage of your MWR. And, if you are not getting AP's, due to not visiting more than once a year, I'd recommend PRE PURCHASING some base tickets from MWR to keep for future visits, to keep an edge on the rising ticket costs. The tickets don't expire until you activate them. You can keep them for years...and when you use them, you can always upgrade them to hoppers, or WP&M, or "no expiration" at Disney.

Aurora
09-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Why do we have to pay full price for dining and park tickets? :scratch:

You don't. Not only are you getting a great price for a deluxe room with your membership, but as seanyred said, you also are offered discounted dining and park tickets because you are a DVC member. Whether you want to or are able to use these discounts is up to you, but discounts are, in fact, offered.

Whether it's the same discount as other people who are paying rack rate for their rooms is another story, but all in all, looking at the big picture, I think we DVC members get a much better deal.

LynneM
09-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Think of it this way.....if you bought a timeshare, say, in Mexico....the timeshare company wouldn't be giving you discounts on your food and entertainment. That company exists solely to sell you the timeshare and manage it. However, some of the local restaurants, nightclubs, recreation, and shops might give you discounts to get your business.

It's the same way with DVC. You bought your contract from Disney Vacation Development, a real estate developer. They're a separate division of the Disney company, and all they do is sell and manage DVC ownership. But....some of the 'local businesses' ( Disney theme parks, golf courses, third-party owned restaurants), sometimes find it benefits them to offer discounts to DVC members.

If you were expecting discounts on tickets and dining to come with your DVC purchase, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed. What you purchased was the right to stay in your home resort, availability permitting. Nothing more. If you read your contract, there are no references to discounts.

ANG
09-01-2010, 11:51 AM
you also are offered discounted dining and park tickets because you are a DVC member. Whether you want to or are able to use these discounts is up to you, but discounts are, in fact, offered.

I just spoke with my rep. yesterday and he said there is no discount on the dining plan for DVC members. Am I being given the wrong information?

VWL Mom
09-01-2010, 12:18 PM
I just spoke with my rep. yesterday and he said there is no discount on the dining plan for DVC members. Am I being given the wrong information?

There is no discount on the dining plan but there are discounts offered at some of the restaurants. You can find the offers on the member site.

There are also discounts offered on some of the tours if you are interested.

slheflin
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
I have not read the other replys, but my thought is this: by joining DVC, you are getting a pretty good discount already on room rates - that's where your discount is. If you look at the cost of a room for one night, even a studio, at a deluxe villa and you were to pay out of pocket you're talking several hundred dollars. We will be staying in a studio with savannah view at Jambo House this weekend and the cost would be $1640 just for 4 nights. Without DVC I would NEVER do this.

Our last 2 trips have been to SSR and we stayed in a 2 bedroom both times. Again, out of pocket it would have cost us approximately $4100 for the room for 6 nights each visit. Again, if it weren't for DVC this wouldn't even be an option.

Our total annual cost to DVC - loan and annual dues - is about $2200 for 300 points. I know annual dues will go up, but this is still far less than $4100 for one stay.

Actually, this is our 2nd stay this year and going with DVC we've saved over $3500 on the standard room rate (out of pocket) for the accommodations that we've had.

It took us two years to decide to go with DVC, but I am so glad we did!

seanyred
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM

As already stated there is no dinning plan discount. But I do feel if you are able to use the discounts for individual restaurant and be creative you can spend a lot less money on food. Than you would have with the dinning plan.

On our last trip i crunched the numbers and I always came up cheeper using the DVC discounts at individual restaurants than the dinning plan.

phlo8810
09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm a member and I don't expect any extra discounts as far as money goes. We take advantage of the ap's. I do however would like little perks like a golden FP for our trips. :Dwouldn't cost Disney a thing and would make our lives easier. I go twice a year and in order to get my kids on something like toy story mania I still have to get up early run to the gate at opening and fight my way to the ride like everyone else. I'm there to relax they have my money already, this would go a long way in keeping us happy.

Robbieligh
09-02-2010, 05:09 PM
I agree with you! A golden fastpass would be really nice. I don't expect free dining. I always purchase the deluxe dining plan but it would be nice to be able to book dining reservations before the general public. It would be nice to show appreciation to DVC members.

JPL
09-02-2010, 09:33 PM
A Golden Fastpass might be a bit much but I have always thought that DVC Members and Annual assholders should at least be able to hold 2 live Fastpasses as a perk :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
09-03-2010, 07:08 AM
On our last trip i crunched the numbers and I always came up cheeper using the DVC discounts at individual restaurants than the dinning plan.
Same here, and actually, I found that it would have been cheaper to pay OOP WITHOUT any discount than for us to get the DDP.

TiW with discount was the cheapest, OOP was next, and DDP was the most expensive option.

Renfairwedding
09-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I agree with you! A golden fastpass would be really nice.

If DVC members and not all resort guest staying on resort property received pass's I would be disgruntled.

I do think everyone should be able to have free dinning when offered dvc included.

PopPhan
09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
A Golden Fastpass might be a bit much but I have always thought that DVC Members and Annual assholders should at least be able to hold 2 live Fastpasses as a perk :thumbsup:

Freudian slip? :D

Why is it that everybody thinks they should get more than the next person? I don't understand the 'entitlement' attitude -- 'you pay your money, you take your chances' as the saying goes.....

DVC members get many discounts that others don't; AP members also get discounts not available to the general public....Isn't that enough? Pretty soon the general public will be shut out - having to pay for all the discounts for the 'elite' visitors.

Sorry....I rant!!!!

BrerGnat
09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Freudian slip? :D

Why is it that everybody thinks they should get more than the next person? I don't understand the 'entitlement' attitude -- 'you pay your money, you take your chances' as the saying goes.....

DVC members get many discounts that others don't; AP members also get discounts not available to the general public....Isn't that enough? Pretty soon the general public will be shut out - having to pay for all the discounts for the 'elite' visitors.

Sorry....I rant!!!!

I agree with you! In fact, I'd argue that the NON DVC members should be the ones getting the "perks". After all, the DVC members have done nothing more than prepay Disney for 40 years of accommodations, at a discount. What about the general public who are paying MORE every year? What about the ones who pay "rack rate". Don't those paying more deserve "more perks". Isn't that generally how it works in our society? You pay more, you get more?

It's sort of backwards thinking that DVC members and AP holders should get "more discounts". They've ALREADY gotten a discount, on accommodations (DVC) and theme park admission (APs). I really think the only discounts should be the ones already available: AP discount for DVCs, to encourage or enable more than one visit per year, and resort discounts for APs, to entice them to come stay at the resorts.

And, I wish people would wake up and realize how much of a scam the DDP is...

seanyred
09-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I agree with you! In fact, I'd argue that the NON DVC members should be the ones getting the "perks". After all, the DVC members have done nothing more than prepay Disney for 40 years of accommodations, at a discount. What about the general public who are paying MORE every year? What about the ones who pay "rack rate". Don't those paying more deserve "more perks". Isn't that generally how it works in our society? You pay more, you get more?

It's sort of backwards thinking that DVC members and AP holders should get "more discounts". They've ALREADY gotten a discount, on accommodations (DVC) and theme park admission (APs). I really think the only discounts should be the ones already available: AP discount for DVCs, to encourage or enable more than one visit per year, and resort discounts for APs, to entice them to come stay at the resorts.

And, I wish people would wake up and realize how much of a scam the DDP is...

I agree as well the Perks are nice but expecting to have them just because we are members is a bit entitled.

As for DDP I also agree. Once I sat down with all the prices for the meals and compared the price of the DDP. The only way I found it was an advantage is if you had all of your TS at dinner and always ordered the most expensive item. It really doesn't save money.

SorcererJim
09-03-2010, 11:38 PM
While this has been beaten to death already, just wanted to point out to those of us that still insist on using the dining plan... you do get a discount of sorts during the "peak seasons" when they charge the public about $5 more a day in "holiday surcharges"

We used the DDP this summer... and I have to say I think it will be our last. TIW is the new way for us!

VWL Mom
09-04-2010, 09:55 AM

Our society also has a tendency to reward for customer loyalty which is all a perk really is. IMHO DVC and AP members are the ones that frequent the parks more and probably are spending money in the shops and restaurants on a consistent basis.

You take the boys to DL a lot, right? Now if you added up what you spend with them over the course of 5 years I'm sure it's more than I would spend on my trip there once every 5 years. Would I be upset if they gave you a perk? No.

I don't think it's a sense of entitlement, it's just nice to have. I enjoy my DVC, AP, & TIW, but I'm pretty sure Disney is still making money on me especially since we now go more frequently.

BrerGnat
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Our society also has a tendency to reward for customer loyalty which is all a perk really is. IMHO DVC and AP members are the ones that frequent the parks more and probably are spending money in the shops and restaurants on a consistent basis.

You take the boys to DL a lot, right? Now if you added up what you spend with them over the course of 5 years I'm sure it's more than I would spend on my trip there once every 5 years. Would I be upset if they gave you a perk? No.

I don't think it's a sense of entitlement, it's just nice to have. I enjoy my DVC, AP, & TIW, but I'm pretty sure Disney is still making money on me especially since we now go more frequently.

You're completely right. However, it is not necessarily true that DVC members automatically go more often to WDW than non members. Not everyone has enough points to do so. Some people have to bank and borrow to make a trip every 3 years on DVC...

I have no problem with DVC and AP holders getting perks and discounts. The problem comes when those people EXPECT the same discounts that Disney is using to lure in the general public. Free dining, for example, or those "gift card with package" offers are used to fill gaps in occupancy at the resorts. There is no reason for DVC members to be given these discounts. When DVC members get upset that they can't have every discount available, that is when it becomes an entitlement issue.

And yes, I spend a lot of money at DL. However, Disneyland's AP program is set up differently from WDW's, and includes discounts on dining and merchandise, as well as the resorts. If they didn't offer those discounts, I'd be packing our lunch more often...for starters. Disney gets more business from ME because they include these discounts with the AP. I buy food and souvenirs for my kids, and stay at the resorts from time to time. But, do I get upset when the general public is offered a "5 nights for the price of 3" offer at the resorts that I can't take advantage of because I don't need tickets? Not at all.

tinkman
09-09-2010, 06:32 AM
The annual pass discount is really nice if you can plan your trips to be able to use it. We have done it a couple times when our trips fell just right. There are several other discounts available, just go through the Perks guide. As far as huge discounts on dining plans (free) or park tickets, yep it would be nice, but the way I look at is...it wasn't promised when I was researching the DVC. We bought into DVC because we wanted to own a part of Disney, and after running the numbers, it made sense in our case to spend the money now and see real savings in the future. We never considered discounts into the equation.

MarkC
09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok, I'm usually the last person in the world to complain about things like this, and I knew what the discounts where when we purchased DVC. That being said, if they are going to continually offer free dining to the general public but not dvc members, I just wasted several thousand dollars. My maintenance fees would eat up any possible savings as well.

A family of four getting free dining for six days will save about $1440. Sure, they are paying that much for the room, but I am paying it for food instead. Where is the difference? I may or may not be in a little bit nicer resort but the initial cost and the annual fees more than eat up that amount. I'm surprised Disney is not getting more complaints about this, and maybe they are.

DizneyRox
09-10-2010, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised Disney is not getting more complaints about this, and maybe they are.
And maybe they don't care.

Ian
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Huh. This doesn't really bother me at all. In fact, I appreciate getting the $100 discount on my AP and consider that a very nice perk.

Getting fantastic villas at a nice discount is enough of a perk for me. Not really looking for more.

DVC2004
09-10-2010, 05:10 PM
And maybe they don't care.

They don't. Imagine all the things they get complaints about on a daily basis.

Donald A
09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
When I bought into the club about 4 years ago I really wasn't thinking about the perks. In retrospect I am somewhat satisfied, I do get a huge discount on rooms. After all, I stayed at deluxe resorts anyway prior to joining as I don't get much vacation time with my job and like nice accomidations.

However, I am increasingly perturbed regarding the things the club does do make them more money regarding point distribution and lack of really any meaningful perks (ie, I don't go twice in one 12 month period so the AP discount does little for me).

Then I take a step back ...... I quickly learned it truly is about money. The club is not in it for members. Of course they are NOT going to give people whose money they already have huge incentives like free dining. You already will use your points. The only time I see them doing something nice and a perk is when they try and get you to buy more points (ie, the cruise I took on a cash basis they gave me a nice book with ads to buy more points).

The only way I see them giving DVC members bigger perks is if members start to not visit the parks. Say for example I already paid to stay at Saratoga Springs every year or two and Disney becomes too expensive for me or doesn't add enough new things for me to do. Then I stay at Saratoga Springs and drive to Orlando for Universal or Sea World. Trust me Disney would notice this trend and I think you would see some big perks because the money talks and Disney wants it. The thing is, Disney has not noticed this because DVC members don't vacation this way. If you joined DVC you love Disney, you go often anyway and if the accountants tell the people at the top perks money is money that doesn't need to be spent, it will not be spent.

DizneyRox
09-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Correct, DVC members really can't NOT go, otherwise you lose points. Like you said, the best way is to NOT spend your time at WDW parks, but use your points for stays and visit elsewhere.

We "almost" accomplish this now, although I did eat at WDW, we spent next to nothing on merchandise last trip. We spent a ton of time at the resorts enjoying the sights, etc. It was surprising and refreshing that we enjoyed a trip without a focus on the parks.

I think next trip (it won't be next year as we're passing on WDW next year) we WILL rent a car and venture elsewhere. The little one will be older and appreciate USF and IOA and we'll check out Sea World for the first time as well. I've got tickets burning a hole in my pocket from previous trips, so even that will be cheap!

I might even look at renting out my points one year, see how that goes. The advantage of DVC for Disney is SOMEONE will be staying there, it's either me, a renter, or I lose my points and they sell the room for cash. WIN-WIN for Disney quite frankly. The only way to tip it is to use them cheap (DVC) and do nothing else there like you said.

Seasonscraps
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I have to admit Disney has lost some magic for me over the past couple of years. I used to feel one hand in my pocket but now it seems like they have both hands in there. I do feel locked into going there because we are DVC members but relaxing has become the focus of our past few vacations. I can't remember the last time I stepped foot in a park, I think it was 2007 despite making at least 3 Disney trips. We rent a car so I'd say 60% of our meals & snacks are purchased off property. It's no big deal to us since we get to stay at a nice hotel in a city that's easy to get to from NYC where it's warmer then home.