PDA

View Full Version : Frenectomy

Melanie
08-30-2010, 10:00 PM
Has anyone, or your child, ever had this procedure done at the advice of an orthodontist?

It was recommended today that my son have this done, but I know nothing about it. The explanation we got was very brief, but it sounds like it's done for cosmetic reasons?

Thanks for any info or experiences. :)

Goofy4TheWorld
08-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Wasn't sure what a Frenectomy was, but after a brief read, it looks like it can be the removal of muscle tissue in the mouth from a handful of different locations within the mouth, for either functional or cosmetic reasons. Where was your son's "extra" tissue and was it affecting his bite or smile?

My two year old's pediatrician, while pointing out the large piece of tissue that is separating my son's front two teeth, made an off-hand comment a few visits ago that "yea, he will probably need that snipped by a dentist when he gets older." I assume that such a procedure is what a Frenectomy is.

I, myself, have had terrible luck out of cosmetic dentistry, so if looks are the only reason for it, over my dead body will it be done until DS is 18.

greengeen
08-30-2010, 10:34 PM
The frenulum connects the tongue to the floor of the mouth, and sometimes it's too "tight" and limits the movement of the tongue. This can cause tongue to push on the teeth more than normal; it can restrict the ability to nurse/feed in infants; and it can cause speech difficulty. It's also referred to as being "tongue-tied". If it's noticed at birth, the pediatrician will clip the frenulum right then before the baby goes home. One of my children had a frenectomy just before he turned one year old. It was no big deal, just a clip and a stitch. I've never heard of it being done for cosmetic reasons (?).

Melanie
08-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Just a little more info, my son is 12 and has had braces for almost a year. The area in question is above the two front teeth. The orthodontist said if not done, it could cause spacing between the two front teeth in the future.

greengeen
08-30-2010, 11:00 PM
Different frenulum (connecting the inner lip to the gum) but very similar procedure. Keep in mind that the mouth heals very quickly! Having been through a similar procedure with my child - if my orthodontist recommended this, I would do it.

Disneymom4ever
08-31-2010, 07:28 AM
My son just had this done! He is 14, and was told it was needed because it was the cause of his gap in his two front teeth. It is that extra piece of skin above your two front teeth. (That's the best way I can describe it). His hung down really low if you actually looked at it. I was really nervous, he's never even had a filling. But really, it wasn't that big of a deal. The dentist just snipped it, he had a couple of self dissolving stiches, and was good to go the next day. We just put an ice pack on and ibuprofen the initial day. Hopefully now we can avoid braces! We shall see. :mickey:

alphamommy
08-31-2010, 11:43 AM
I had it done just before I got my braces off. My orthodontist said that, if I didn't, the gap would return between my two front teeth.

When DD10 was born, I noticed the extra gum tissue like I had had, and talked to our dentist about it. He consulted on orthodontist, who said that if DD lost both front teeth at roughly the same time, the frenectomy could be done, and we might avoid braces.

DD had it done when she was 7, and when her adult front teeth came in, the gap was gone! We see the orthodontist once a year to monitor the progress of her adult teeth, and he's hopeful that she may not need braces.

It's not a procedure that requires a lot of down time or anything. If he's already in braces, I would say it's a good thing to do.

Good luck!

JanetMegan
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
I had it done as a young child to help with a gap between my front teeth and I ended up not needing braces, saved my folks some bucks ;) I don't even remember it.

BrerGnat
08-31-2010, 12:31 PM
I actually had it done a couple years ago myself, in conjunction with gum surgery to correct some pretty severe gum recession (that was causing the root of the tooth to become exposed).

THIS is a good reason to do that procedure while a person is young. Over several years, it can pull up on the gum above the tooth, and cause gum recession in the adult years.

Let me tell you, the gum surgery was the WORST dental procedure I've ever been through. And, I've been through the ringer, oral surgery wise. I had some major structural issues as a child and had to have my upper palate completely re-shaped. But, the gum surgery was just horrible, and the recovery was long and painful. I'd not wish that on anyone, so get that procedure done on your son to save him from that sort of thing later in life.

But, be warned, the tissue can grow back! Mine is already starting to do that. I might have to have it done again. The Frenectomy part of the surgery wasn't bad at all, so don't worry about that. And, our insurance didn't cover it at ALL, so check that too (I have the same dental insurance you do...United Concordia through Tricare). It was pricey.

Melanie
08-31-2010, 07:51 PM
And, our insurance didn't cover it at ALL, so check that too (I have the same dental insurance you do...United Concordia through Tricare). It was pricey.

Ugh. I was afraid of that.

Thank you all for the information. It greatly helps!!!!

BrerGnat
08-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Yeah, the insurance coverage is nil because it's considered a "non essential" procedure.

I think the frenectomy was around $700...

I had to have two areas done, though. Maybe it will be cheaper since your son seems to only need one area done.

princessjojo
09-02-2010, 09:13 AM
My older son had it done a few years ago, also in connection with gum recessions to his lower front teeth. For reasons unknown, his gums receeded so he had a gum graft done. Somewhat different, but, and I'm sure you've done this, look at your medical insurance rather than dental. Ours was covered as an oral "surgery" procedure because it could have affected his overall health condition if it wasn't corrected. We don't have the best health insurance, but the person I worked with and the oral surgeon we used knew the in's and out's to assure it was covered. Think it all has to do with WHO does it, dentist, orthodontist or oral surgeon.

BrerGnat
09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
My older son had it done a few years ago, also in connection with gum recessions to his lower front teeth. For reasons unknown, his gums receeded so he had a gum graft done. Somewhat different, but, and I'm sure you've done this, look at your medical insurance rather than dental. Ours was covered as an oral "surgery" procedure because it could have affected his overall health condition if it wasn't corrected. We don't have the best health insurance, but the person I worked with and the oral surgeon we used knew the in's and out's to assure it was covered. Think it all has to do with WHO does it, dentist, orthodontist or oral surgeon.

I had to have the graft done too. I had mine done by a Periodontal Surgeon.

Our health insurance does not cover dental work or oral surgery at all. Gum surgery of all kinds falls under the jurisdiction of "dental". Military insurance...