PDA

View Full Version : Getting banged up on rides....

Dewdrop034
08-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, my husband, son & I decided to go to a popular upstate NY amusement park for the day today and even though we had a pretty good time we came home exausted and really banged up and bruised from the rides. We are both middle aged and not as flexible as we used to be and we both commented on how we don't remember getting jarred and thrown around at WDW. Does anyone else agree that the rides at Disney just seem to roll smoother than other popular theme park rides? I would hate to think it's because we're just getting older and cant handle it anymore.

VWL Mom
08-30-2010, 08:00 PM
I actually commented that I thought POC was really bumpy on our last trip and my son made a comment about my bones getting old. I'm not really sure :blush:

Plex
08-30-2010, 08:01 PM
WDW rides definitely tend to be a bit slower and more gentle than most other amusement parks. I've gotten bruised and bumped on rides at other parks, but never at WDW. I can see Space Mountain causing some neck problems, especially if you have a pre-existing condition. Maybe Dinosaur with some of the jerky movements as well. Other than that, I really can't think of anything you'll routinely get bumped around on!

faline
08-30-2010, 08:04 PM
It depends on the ride. I find Space Mountain to be pretty rough. In my opnion, the roughest ride is Primeval Whirl which, in actuality, is just another version of a ride found at many theme parks. Dinosaur can be kind of bumpy. Big Thunder Mountain is fine except for the stop at the end which can give those unsuspecting folks a bit of whiplash.

Overall, though, I need to agree. Disney rides are much easier than those found at most typical amusement parks. That, and the theming, has kept me coming back over and over again.

JPL
08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Not really sure I agree with not getting banged up on Disney rides. The Back of BTMRR & SM can really put a hurting on you. Not saying they are as bad as some other rides out there but those 2 are right up there with the other bruisers. Of course nothing cna compare to the beating you take on the Cyclone at Coney Island! :eek:

jmj18
08-30-2010, 09:17 PM
We were at another theme park earlier this month. Most rides are the original wooden roller coasters and I found that we were tossed around pretty good. I ended up with some black and blues. I'm wondering if this is true for other parks as well.

:mickey:

badkitty
08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
RnR can really rough me up. I can end up with quite a head-ache because of banging my head between the shoulder harness. I try for the middle since it seems smoother there. The back really throws me around. I also can't ride WDW's SpM anymore because of the head and back jerking. (DL SpM seems a lot smoother of a ride.)

Of course, my amusement park rollercoaster riding days are over too. Wooden rollercoasters are the worst! I feel like my skin is vibrating off my bones.

Alaska Disney Fan
08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I always feel beat up after BTMRR, I think its the quick up and then back down, just kills the top of my legs hitting the bar.

AnnaMom
08-30-2010, 11:44 PM
This past summer I found Space Mountain to pretty ruff. I felt like I was being thrown all over.

beksy
08-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Mom has rheumatoid arthritis so we are careful about what she rides. BTMRR is out and Spact Mtn. Her stomach just can't handle the tea cups. Surprisingly the ride that we went on that bothered her the most was Pooh. The quick turns and movements threw her around some. It is the only non-coaster type ride that she can't ride because of being thrown around. It probably helps us out that we are pooh-sized so put Mom and my sister in together and there's not a lot of extra room to get tossed around...they let me ride alone! :D

azcavalier
08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
Most rides that beat you up at other theme parks tend to be (but not always) roller coasters. How many true coasters does WDW have?

Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Goofy's Barnstormer
Expedition Everest
Primeval Whirl
Rockin' Roller Coaster

Of those, two beat you up a bit (SM and BTMRR), and you could make an argument for PW and Barnstormer. The Barnstormer is just too small for me, and so it hurts my legs/knees. Primeval Whirl doesn't beat me up, but it does make me feel queasy, so I don't like to ride it.

I wouldn't consider anything else at Disney a coaster (Test Track, Dinosaur, Splash Mountain, POTC, etc).

I guess my point is that while other types of rides can be rough, traditionally it's the coasters that really "beat you up", and Disney isn't a place with a lot of coasters. Other theme parks traditionally are coaster-heavy. We went to Kings Island last year, and I believe they have at least eight coasters in the one park.

grumpyguy
08-31-2010, 12:37 PM
My ears,my ears!!!Any of the coasters that have the shoulder harnesses really get me.My head bangs back and forth and my ears start to hurt!!(insert dumbo joke here)But it doesn't stop me from going on the rides:thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
My ears,my ears!!!Any of the coasters that have the shoulder harnesses really get me.My head bangs back and forth and my ears start to hurt!!(insert dumbo joke here)But it doesn't stop me from going on the rides:thumbsup:

You can avoid that by pressing your head back the entire ride, OR leaning slightly forward, so your ears are "all clear" of the restraints. I do a combination of both.

BUT, with that said, Rock and Roller Coaster gives me a headache EVERY SINGLE TIME. I love it, but headaches quickly become migraines for me, especially if it's hot and humid, so if I'm already feeling a headache coming on, or I have one already, I will NOT ride RnRC.

Stu29573
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I rode R&RC twice, on two different trips because I wanted to like it so much. Both times I ended up not feeling banged up, but feeling :sick:. I'm not sure why but both times I had to just sit down for a while until my lunch decided where it wanted to be. Usually drops are the only thing that bother me, but in this case I think the launch just throws me for a loop (pun intended):mickey:

ILoveLegos
08-31-2010, 03:31 PM
I've been banged up on Coney Islands' Cyclone. Literally bruised my diaphram on that one whipping around. It's a much scarier ride than anything in WDW in my opinion.

In Disney World on BTMRR (last car) I've banged my hips riding alone on the seat with slippery pants/shorts on. I got slung from one side to the other side on the turns and hit the 'side wall' kinda hard. It was fun, and added a new dimension to the ride but - I wouldn't recommend it for people with hip problems. :blush:

brivers222
08-31-2010, 03:42 PM
primevil whirl breaks me... I went on it once and have never been back on it.

Granny Jill A
09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I've always thought that Space Mountain in WDW was way too rough. The ride in Disneyland was much smoother because you sit side-by-side, not one behind the other on a bench.

Rock N Roller Coaster always beats the hoo-ha out of my ears. I have to hold my head in a rigid position to avoid being boxed on the ears.

And, finally..... the Speedway in MK a rough one, especially when some bozo runs into the back of your car for laughs.

BluewaterBrad
09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I used to never have a problem with getting banged up. I admit now that SM seems to toss me around pretty good.:mickey:

brownie
09-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I've never found the rides to be rough at Disney World. Tower of Terror is a lot smoother than quite a few of the real elevators I've been on.

IloveDisney71
09-04-2010, 10:37 PM
During one trip to Disney Studios we got to ride RNRC 7 times in about an hour and a half. Needless to say we sat in all different parts of the car. I sat in the very last seat during one of those rides and I will NEVER sit there again. I felt like that thing was giving me whiplash and was banging me around like a ragdoll. I didn't experience that feeling in the middle or in the front of the ride vehicle. My friend said the same thing.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
09-04-2010, 11:04 PM
We just went on the kiddie roller coaster at York Wild Animal Farm and I thought that was really bumpy! I'd much rather ride BTMRR! Of course it didn't help that my knees were up around my ears because it was a KIDDIE coaster!

kemps@wdw
09-12-2010, 12:12 AM
It's both! The rides ARE smoother, and we ARE getting older and aren't as flexible! :D