PDA

View Full Version : Dive Quest questions

Briansmom
08-29-2010, 08:22 PM
My DD23 is going to do Dive Quest this trip and she is soooo excited! :shark: She majored in Marine Biology and has done the Dolphins in Depth tour already which she loved! She has a couple of questions regarding Dive Quest:

1. Can you take an underwater camera in Living Seas when you dive?

2. Do they have you dive with a buddy?

3. Do you get a t-shirt?

4. What kind of creatures are in the aquarium?

5. Any tips, hints on anything she should be 'on the look out' for?

I told her I knew my buddies on Intercot would be able to give her all the answers she needed! As always, thanks in advance!:mickey:

Strmchsr
08-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I've done DiveQuest a couple of times. Great experience. First, make sure she takes her scuba certification card with her. They will require it at check-in. Also, be sure to bring her dive log.

I believe you can take a camera with you, but I'm not 100% sure on that. They let me wear my dive computer, so I don't think they would have a problem with a camera, but you might ask when you call to make the reservation.

No, you don't dive with a buddy. They can see you the entire time, so there's no need for the buddy system. They start off by taking you on an underwater tour of the aquarium then they turn you loose to explore on your own.

You used to get a tshirt, but they told me in May that they weren't going to do that anymore. Now you get a backpack. You still get a picture. Also, they do a DVD of your dive that you can purchase. It's $20, if I remember correctly, but, like everything else, the money is a donation to the Disney Wildlife Fund. That part is pretty cool because if the family comes up to the window while you're diving they'll film you together. It's all personalized. They film during the first 20 or so min of your dive then edit it during the last 20 min so it's ready by the time you dry off and change.

All kinds of creatures are in the aquarium. Sharks, many, many species of fish, rays, and giant turtles. The dolphins are not in the area where you dive.

There are also hidden mickeys on the bottom of the aquarium that only divers can see. "Normal" guests can't see those.

It's a lot of fun. I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Most folks really enjoy being part of the "show." Guests will wave to you and take pictures of you. You swim right by where all the guests are dining in the Coral Reef, so it's a neat experience.

Briansmom
08-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks so much for the info, Chris! I am so excited for her to be able to do this. I've never seen her dive before so I can't wait to see her in that huge aquarium! :diver:

Strmchsr
08-29-2010, 11:06 PM
Usually they're in the water about an hour after the tour starts, so that's when you'll want to be at the tank to watch. Also, if she has her cell phone she can call/text when they change into their wet suit so you'll know she's headed up.

Bay Lake
08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
I just did dive quest 3 weeks ago, No cameras allowed. They video tape the whole dive that you can purchase at the end of the tour($35.00). Because it is a closed filtration system they want nothing that has been in other waters. The only thing permitted is your own mask, but the ones that are supplied are top notch. They stopped giving out shirts when they changed sponsors, you now get a bag. There are enough safety divers in the tank with you that they let you explore on your own. It is a lot of fun to swim over to the Coral Reef and see what everybody is eating. The sea turtles are fun to watch inside the water as well.