PDA

View Full Version : NYC near Penn Station - good place to stay?

Katzateer
08-28-2010, 07:30 AM
We are making a weekend trip to NYC. We arrive by Amtrak on a Friday night around 8:30 at Penn Station. I want to find a place to stay we can walk to safely and a nice place that doesn't cost lots of $$$$. Looks like we can't get by much less than $300 anyplace.

Does anyone know the area and a close place to walk to without getting lost?:blush:

cather74
08-28-2010, 08:00 AM
The Pennsylvania hotel is right across the street and usually fairly cheap. (For NYC standards.) The south gate hotel is right nextdoor. A little more pricey but sometimes you can get a good deal. It's part of the Affinia Dumont chain. You can google them. Good Luck!:mickey:

Nini
08-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi!

We've arrived twice to NYC through Penn Station - just to let you know, there are cab queues when you exit the station and it is really easy, and realtively inexpensive, to take a cab to a hotel anywhere in midtown.

We've stayed at the Hilton Times Square, the Omni Berkshire, and the Grand Hyatt which is right next door to Grand Central. All great hotels. The first two are within easy walking distance to 30 Rock, St. Patrick's, Madison Ave., and 5th Ave.. The Grand Hyatt puts you right at Grand Central from which you can get a subway to almost anywhere! Plus, The Oyster Bar in Grand Central is my favorite place to go for seafood.

Don't let yourself be intimidated by NY. Ahead of time figure out where you want to visit and find out how to get there and go for it!

Denise :mickey:

TikiGoddess
08-31-2010, 08:40 PM
You might want to try Priceline for a good hotel fare. My husband and I just stayed at a 4 star hotel, a block from Times Square, for $179/night. Total with taxes $230. It was AMAZING -- the Intercontinental Times Square. On Priceline you can specify what neighborhood you'd like, and the quality of hotel (stars).

I would take the previous poster's advice and take a cab to a hotel. Decide on what you're interested in seeing, and then find a hotel in that area. I can't tell you how great it was for us to be able to walk everywhere on our visit (King Tut exhibit, dinner, broadway show, shopping) and be only blocks away from our hotel.

Kathy

Katzateer
09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I found a room at Newark Penn Station - a Hilton. It would be a 15 minutes train ride to Penn Station New York.

Does that sound like a good plan??

The room is about $120 a night compared to $300+ a night in NYC.

It costs $5 a person each ride on the train back into NYC.

How far is Penn Station NYC to Radio City Music Hall and Madison Square Garden?

If I get tickets for a Broadway show on Saturday night that gets out around 10pm would that be safe to go to Penn Station and take the train back to New Jersey or should we plan on getting out of the city earlier???

Thanks for suggestions/information

Nini
09-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Madison Square Garden is directly next to Penn Station. Actually, I think they are attached. Radio City however, is like 17 blocks. Do a Google search for Manhattan maps. Especially since you just need to concentrate on midtown, it shouldn't be overwhelming.

I don't know much about Newark, but all I have heard is bad. Maybe someone will come on here and tell me I'm wrong, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but I'd feel much safer in midtown Manhattan than Newark.

As for the train, I really can't advise you on that. Before we first went to NY I asked for some advice here on Intercot, and I believe it was recommended that I probably didn't want to be on the trains after midnight.

Hope that's helpful,
Denise

DisneyWFan
09-06-2010, 07:07 AM
I just stayed in Newark and can tell you that it is just like any other city it has its bad sections and good (it is just very busy). I drove in so I can't tell you about the train from Newark but if it is part of the Metro you can buy unlimited passes which will allow you to use the subway to get everywhere you want to go NYC is very large so this can be a benifit in it's own right (I will PM you with the link to the info) the subway can be confusing at times but you can ask for a free map from any of the subway info booths the map will help you a great deal or you can ask the info booth and they will tell you what train and stop you will need even if the train from Newark isn't part of the metro unlimited card i would still get one to get around the city it can save a lot of time and walking. Have a great trip

VWL Mom
09-06-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't think staying in Newark would be a good idea especially if you are considering traveling at night. I grew up around there, consider my self somewhat street smart and heck, I wouldn't even do that!

Besides, if your going to a show it would be much nicer, IMO, to stop for a nightcap or a late dinner rather than worrying about the train.

Also, if you are using cabs, I would suggest you stick to yellow cabs with meters and fares posted. DS18 went in for a concert a few weeks ago, was in a hurry & not paying attention, and got charged $30 for what should have been a $13 trip! You can google NYC cab fares, enter you starting-ending points, and get an idea of the cost.

Nini
09-06-2010, 09:02 AM
VWL Mom -

I'm surprised...I was under the impression that only yellow cabs operated in Manhattan. We did see others in the Bronx, but I don't remember seeing any in Manhattan.

Yes, definitely stick with yellow cabs. They are pretty strictly regulated and you shouldn't worry about being overcharged.

Denise :mickey:

Katzateer
09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
thanks for all the suggestions.

We are staying in NYC at a fairly expensive place but I decided to splurge. It will cost us for 2 nights in NYC what we will pay at WDW for 6!!

But it isn't like we are planning to do this again. If we go in the future we will probably just go for a day trip.

Nini
09-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Good! I know you'll be glad that you did!!

Denise