PDA

View Full Version : Food Challenge for Peanut Allergy

kcrc
08-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi All! I know I don't post very often, but I do read Intercot all the time! Thank you in advance for reading. I need some advice.

My DS8 has a peanut allergy. He had an initial reaction when he was 18 months old but, thank Goodness, we have watched everything carefully since then and he has not had one since.

We have done some skin prick tests and blood tests through the years. His blood test numbers have actually gone down over the past few years (to be considered "low"). His skin prick tests have come back with a "positive" result, but, he has also had slightly "positive" results for foods he eats without issue. This lead the allergist to believe he has sensitive skin, making the reactions appear more than they really are.

With all that said, the allergist believes he is a good candidate to do a food challenge to see if he really is allergic. For those who don't know what that is, they will start with the tiniest fleck of peanut butter, and put it on his tongue (We're talking like can't even see it small). They will continue to watch him and slightly increase the amount he consumes every 20 minutes or so. If he can handle I think it's a tablespoon, they will consider him not allergic. Some kids may react immediately. Some kids may make it to a quarter tsp and then react, etc. It is all done in the Dr's office, closely watched, and ready to treat any symptoms he could form.

Having said all that - we are so torn on this. While it would be ABSOLUTELY BEYOND BELIEF to find out that he is fine,what if he's not? What if he reacts? I'm not sure what type of lasting impression that will leave on him. I know it will scare the heck out of DH and myself. But I'm more afraid of the effect it would have on my son. While I always want him to be cautious, I don't want him to go through life terrified.

He definitely wants his peanut allergy to go away. But at the same time, DS is scared to eat something that we've told him forever not to go near because it will make you sick.

What would you do?

brownie
08-27-2010, 08:34 AM
I would do it. One, it sounds like it will lead to better information than the skin prick tests. Two, if he does have a reaction, it's in a controlled environment. This will allow him to experience what a reaction is like, so if it happens in his daily life, he's more likely to deal with it better.

jmj18
08-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I would do it too.

My son has a peanut allergy as well. His numbers are starting to go down and I would love to know if he is really allergic.

I think the best place to find out would be in a doctor's office...just in case.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

:mickey:

btharvey
08-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Definitely do it. The doctor is trying to gauge just how sensitive he is (dangerous it is). The doctor is following the usual protocols and tactics that they do when they want to find out anything, and DS8 needs to trust your judgment that the doctor is OK.

He needs to also not be scared, but be curious, because it's always better to know something more about yourself that you didn't know, so you can plan for the future. I didn't want to know that I had diabetes, but I'm glad I do. I'm sure he won't want to know if he truly is allergic, but you all will be glad if he does. Nothing to be scared of ... he's in the doctor's office and the doctor's in charge, and as you said, it starts with an infinitesimal amount.

cather74
08-27-2010, 10:50 AM
I'd do it. It's a life altering test either way. It's all cosely watched. The hardest part is the mental stuff you will probably go through as a mom. Good luck.:pixie:

Dulcee
08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I would do it but first if you think your son will be concerned about it schedule a meeting between your son, his doctor and you. Talk with your son ahead of time and get him to write down a list of his concerns and questions about everything that will be going on. From how the testing will occur to what will be done if he does experience a poor reaction. This way he can hear it from both you and the doctor that things will be done safely and that even if he does have a reaction they know exactly what to do to help him.

As someone who works in science and often runs trials that work with young children their biggest concerns are often not knowing what to expect.

As a parent I think knowing one way or the other can be a huge relief instead of the worry of what if...

BrerGnat
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I would also definitely do it. If there is even a chance that he's not really allergic, wouldn't you love to know that? I would. I can't even begin to imagine life with a food allergic child.

They do this all the time. Your son will be fine.

TheDuckRocks
08-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Being a 66 year old adult who has just been diagnosed with a peanut allergy and just having the whole proceedure explaned to me, I would want to know. I did not have to go to this extreme as I reacted so dramatically to the skin pricks and blood tests. BTW, I have always eaten peanuts my entire life and never had any kind of reaction to them. Ate some on a Thursday evening....no problem. Ate 3 on the following Sunday afternoon and could barely breathe. Saw my doctor 2 days later and was given an EpiPen to carry with me and a referral to an allergist for the next day. I never would have thought that at my age this could be a possiblity.
The reason I would want to know would be to not have to worry all the time about what may or may not have peanuts as an ingredient. I don't know if any of you saw the Diners, Drive-ins and Dives where the "secret" to the chili was peanut butter. I now ask always.