PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Ladies and Summer Barbie's Trip Report

jillluvsdisney
08-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Me...Jill....age 38
Sister....Carrie....age 49
Niece/Daughter..Summer Barbie. Lindsay .20

8 nights at AKL-Jambo House August 14-22.
Pool view. Room 4462 I think it was the ostrich trail.

Free dining. No car, used Magical Express. It was fantastic. The WDW buses were great also. We never waited more than 20 minutes at a park or resort form a bus. The only packed bus we were on was 1130 pm Friday night after the Magic Kingdom.

After all my trips to Disney, I think AKL is now my favorite resort. This was the best trip I have taken in the past 10 years. I loved our room. I didn't feel like we missed anything by not having a savannah view. It was way too hot to spend any time on a balcony anyway. We watched the aninmals numerous times from all 3 savannah spots. The animal guides were fantastic and really knew their stuff. We used the night vision goggles at the Uzima savannah. Those were so cool. We saw a few giraffes. I loved the huge pool at AKL. It never seemed crowded and there were tons of place to relax in the sun or the shade. We loved the dance party music they played at the pool everyday from 315 to 415. They have a million other activities for guests during the day as well: kitchen tours of Boma, cookie and t shirt decorating and clay for kids. There was also a lodge tour every day at 330 pm. There were also bead making activities as well. I would have loved to have taken the tour but I couldn't drag myself away from the pool. We visited the Uzima Savannah after we swam every day. I also really loved the gift shop at AKL. Thery had some very unusual items there. They also had resort themed clothing which I had read was being possibly phased out?

The weather was out of this world hot. I've never had sweat roll off me so much in my life. I went thru 2 bottles of spray on sunscreen in 9 days. Nuetragena is the best stuff. I used an umbrella to keep some of the sun off me. I saw lots of other people doing this. It seemed like many of them were Japaneese. We ducked in and out of a lot of stores to cool off. EPCOT seemed to have the least shade in Future World but evened out with all the indoor attractions. We did everything but Figmant and Mission Space. We used Fast Passes for Soarin and single rider line for Test Track. I had never seen Captain EO before. It was good and had some really good special affects. We did World Showcase another day. 1rst time ever, We saw all 4 movies in one day. Carrie and I even sat thru the much maligned Norway movie. There was huge thunderstorm on Saturday afternoon but it cleared up and we did see Illimunations.

The hottest attraction we were at was Beauty and the Beast. I thought I was going to melt into the concrete. I love that show so much and hadn't seen it in a few years. We were at HS on EMH so we were able to walk on ToT 2x and Summer Barbie did single rider 2x on RRC. I won't do that anymore. It's too hard on my neck. We got to the High School Musical 3 performance in front of the big hat. That was cool. I should watch all those, I'm sure I'd like them. I love Glee. We did the COOLEST thing at HS I have never read about anyone doing. We went to a 20m minute drawing class at the Animation Institute. Our class drew Pooh. It was so amazing. My sister had wanted to check this out and I'm so glad we did. I think the class only has 40 people at a time. The instructor demonstrates everything on a projection for you. We got to keep our drawings too. 19 trips ton Disney and there are always new experiences.

Animal Kingdom was great. Fast Passed the Safari and rode EE first thing at 9am. We saw a tiny baby elephant and a nursing giraffe on our first safari. Later in the week, we did it again and saw three frisky baby warthogs. We also saw a baby gorilla on the Pagani Trails. AK also had lots of fans and misters all over the park. It didn't seem as hot there as the other 3 parks. How ironic.
I was a little bummed that Flame Tree BBQ is closed now. That's where I like to eat CS when I am there.

We also spent parts of 2 days at MK. Our first day we weren't on the package yet. We just had a room only ressie at AKL. We were able to add 1 day to our park tickets for 5 bucks each so we could go to a park the 1rst day. We thought the Electric Light Parade would be ending that night so we planned MK. It was extended so we ended up seeing it 3 times. I just love that so much. The American Flag float at the end was really great. Speaking of patriotism, we saw the flag retreat also at 5pm. What a lovely, dignified ceremony. Very nicely done. It was nice to see people singing our National Anthem.

Our strategy was to hit the parks early , we had a couple TS lunches and then went back and swam for a couple hours. The nights we were out late , we would sleep in the next day, get up and swim and hit the parks in the late afternoon. This worked out well for me. If it hadn't been for my plantar faciatis, my feet never would have hurt. I switched between new Balance tennies with arch support inserts and Crocs. In wore socks with both. A little foor powder in the socks, my feet were never hot or clammy. The pavement at the pool was very hot. I'm glad I brought aqua socks.

In will do a seperate dining report and give my thought on Universal Islands of Adventure in future posts.

WDWFanatic
08-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Great report. It seems like you had a great game plan for hot weather. Looking foward to your other reports.

faline
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and that you find some new things to do as well!

Thanks for the report!

BluewaterBrad
08-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a great trip!! Thanks for sharing!:mickey:

Disney4us2
08-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the report. :thumbsup: I am booked at AKL next August and glad to see there are a lot of activities at the resort.

RedSoxFan
08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Sounds like you had a very nice trip.:mickey:

yjgirl32
08-27-2010, 07:08 PM
great report. Thanks for sharing.