PDA

View Full Version : RoomUpgrade_YachtClub

GFFan
08-25-2010, 03:47 PM
My girlfriend and I are going to WDW this Saturday, it has always been a dream of ours to stay at the Yacht Club and to celebrate our dating anniversary this is where we have booked, we are both super excited about this, it should be a blast.

We booked this reservation under the AP rate and were able to get YC at aprox 195 a night, which I think is a bargain. This is all we could afford at the time with everything going on with college and such, so we booked the cheapest view (pool view). I would really love to get Epcot view or something better than the worst view (I'm sure its not that bad). Basically, I would love to get pampered because of our celebrating our anniversary and am praying that we could get a complimentary upgrade with a better view or perhaps concierge, who knows. I have never received a complimentary upgrade ever from WDW, but have heard others getting resort changes and suite upgrades and all types of crazy stuff, what is the technique to this? Is there one? Or is it just luck? I would kill to have an Epcot view and be able to lounge with cordials at night. Any tips, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

Thanks,

goofy-4-disney
08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
My family and I have been given an "upgrade" twice in our many trips to WDW. One, they said our resort was overbooked so we were given an upgrade from Caribbean Beach Resort to Yacht Club for the week. For this we only had to pay the Caribbean rates for our stay at the Yacht Club. Our other upgrade was at the Wilderness Lodge. Our room wasnt ready so they put us in the villa area at no additional cost for our stay there. In my experience anyways, its just luck.

MNNHFLTX
08-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Complimentary upgrades are purely by chance, due to overbooking of standard rooms and/or at the discretion of check-in staff. There really is no technique that I am aware of. Just be pleasant at check-in, you can mention that you are celebrating the anniversary of your first date and you may get lucky. Even if you don't I'm sure you will enjoy your stay at the Yacht Club.

Although people do occasionally get upgrades, I have stayed at WDW resorts numerous times (14 times, I think?) and have never received a complimentary upgrade, even when celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, etc. So it's probably not as common as people think it is. :mickey:

floridamom
08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
We were in the exact same position at the end of July--Booked YC standard view, fabulous AP rate, celebrating our anniversary--though we're a little older--married 10 years :-)

At check-in, my husband mentioned our anniversary, how we're AP holders who love the resort and asked if there were any upgrades available. Next thing we knew, we were upgraded to an amazing Epcot view from which we could watch Illuminations every night. It was even near the end of the building close to a secondary elevator that took us right down to the exit closest to the boat launch to the parks. Honestly, it was the best location we've had at any Disney resort.

We've been upgraded several times before on various trips, and I attribute it to availability, mentioning you are a loyal passholder, and of course my husband's charming manner with the cast members. :mickey:

Also, I would avoid the online check-in option they now offer--doesn't allow you to interact with CM's in the same way.

Good luck, and have a wonderful trip no matter where you end up!

BrerGnat
08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm a bit confused by your post. There is no "pool view" at the YC. There's Standard, Garden, and Water. Standard is the cheapest, and looks out towards the parking lot. There are no "Epcot" views at the YC. There are a few Water view rooms that face the Int'l Gateway, but you can't see much of the park itself.

If you booked a Water view, that is the BEST view. of Crescent Lake, Stormalong Bay, and the Boardwalk. We had that view at the BC and it was a MAJOR upgrade (we had booked Standard View). So, if you are already at Water view, there is nowhere else to go but up to Club Level or a suite. Those upgrades are random, but I've heard of them happening more for very short stays (1-3 days). How long will you be in WDW.

Don't expect an upgrade, especially when you got a discounted room. But, if one comes along, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Just being AT the YC is going to be awesome. I think it's a great resort for couples.

TammiMcMan
08-25-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm a bit confused by your post. There is no "pool view" at the YC. There's Standard, Garden, and Water. Standard is the cheapest, and looks out towards the parking lot.:ditto:

As others have pointed out, there's no rhyme or reason to upgrades. Sometimes having your special occasion noted on the reservation helps, but everyone seems to be celebrating something at Disney.

There are some nicer standard views that you may want to ask about when you arrive. You can request something near the wedding gazebo or by the quiet pool. Both are really nice, romantic areas. I agree, be very pleasant at check-in and mention that you're hoping for a romantic room location for your anniversary if that's possible.

Good luck and congrats.

JenniferS.
08-26-2010, 07:53 AM
Once we booked a standard view in the wing of the Contemporary. We had a late flight w/ 3 kids under 5. We were there around 11:oo pm and my husband was checking us in. We got a free upgrade to a bay lake view in the tower. We were so happy. Don't know the reason for it, we didn't ask. :) Good luck!

floridamom
08-26-2010, 08:04 PM
To clarify:

Our upgrade was probably considered to be a water view since it did overlook the lake. However, being in the last building we were perpendicular to the main building where the lobby is and we could also see some of the pavillion landmarks (Eiffel tower, etc.) as well as the top of Spaceship Earth. The main perk for us was being able to see the Illuminations fireworks straight ahead from our balcony (but not the globe/fire effects).

For our 5th anniversary we stayed at Beach Club and got upgraded to the Concierge Level, with a "standard" view that faced the parking lot, but also offered an even closer view of Spaceship Earth. But on the couple of other occasions at the YC/BC we had a wonderful experience without any upgrades--it's just a great resort.

disneymom2000
08-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I am hoping to get an upgrade when I go in December. I am taking a friend who has never been and will probably never get the chance to go again so I want everything to be perfect.:magic:

Mousemates
08-27-2010, 11:22 AM
upgrades have in our experience been pretty random events that have generally taken place when we have booked the most basic room at a resort...AKL standard view up to a savannah view...Contemporary from a wing room to the tower...and Beach Club from a standard room to concierge.

BrerGnat
08-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Upgrades only happen when Disney NEEDS them to happen. They mask it with "pixie dust" to make you feel like you're special, but it's to serve their own booking purposes. You'll only get lucky if someone screws up. ;)

When we got upgraded from Standard (Club Level) to Lagoon View (Club Level), I believe it had to do with the fact that we needed a daybed, and they ran out of rooms with daybeds in the "standard view" category, so we were put in one of the few Lagoon View Club Level rooms that even has a daybed (I think they told us there are THREE of them).

TammiMcMan
08-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Upgrades only happen when Disney NEEDS them to happen. They mask it with "pixie dust" to make you feel like you're special, but it's to serve their own booking purposes. You'll only get lucky if someone screws up. ;)In a majority of the upgrade situations, this is true, but I know for sure that some of the upgrades are genuine pixie dust :secret: .

BrerGnat
08-27-2010, 04:59 PM
In a majority of the upgrade situations, this is true, but I know for sure that some of the upgrades are genuine pixie dust :secret: .

Yes, you are right. But, NO ONE should go in "expecting" a pixie dust upgrade. My point was, it seems like everyone's trip is for some special occasion or another, and to hope for an upgrade because it's your birthday or something is just setting yourself up for disappointment when you don't get one.

faline
08-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Yes, you are right. But, NO ONE should go in "expecting" a pixie dust upgrade. My point was, it seems like everyone's trip is for some special occasion or another, and to hope for an upgrade because it's your birthday or something is just setting yourself up for disappointment when you don't get one.

I agree. Whenever I arrive at my resort, I always arrive with the expectation that I will be receiving exactly what I paid for - no more and no less. If, on occasion, it is more, I am extremely excited and grateful!! Only once has it been less and Disney worked with me to help me receive something acceptable!

poohspal
08-27-2010, 05:21 PM
We stayed at the YC in April. I booked it on a 40% off pin, and we were surprised with an upgrade upon check-in. They greeted us at the door and said we were the "family of the day," gave us balloons and took our picture.
I had booked a standard room, but we were upgraded to concierge level.
Never happened before but we definitely enjoyed it.

Liz

Disney5+2
09-05-2010, 08:05 PM
We had 3 rooms at the Yacht Club last week that were upgraded from standard to waterview. There was no explanation for the upgrade, but it was a very nice view. The best part was that it was a short walk from the elevator. Very convenient and a lovely view.

SBETigg
09-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I had a complimentary upgrade to an MK view from a standard view once at the Grand Floridian. It seemed to be just lucky, but it was also our anniversary and our third visit to that resort. Two other times (at the GF and at the Poly) I tried to pay for a view upgrade at the last minute and was denied, nothing available. So, it can happen, but it's really up to chance and circumstance. I wouldn't count on it or ask for it unless I was prepared to pay the difference, and even then it's not always possible.

BrerGnat
09-05-2010, 09:08 PM
We once tried to upgrade a WL standard view upon arrival, during the first week of February. We were also denied...the resort was 100% booked, and there was NOTHING available.

So, yeah, it's very unpredictable.

Book what you want, is the lesson.