PDA

View Full Version : Give me your thoughts on insurance...

NokOnHarts
08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Just curious.. what are your thoughts on Disney's insurance? Do you get it or skip it? What about for those of you traveling in winter or with small children?

Thanks for your input!

DizneyRox
08-25-2010, 07:05 AM
I skip it, always have, always will...

Insurance is one of those things you buy and hope you never use. We've neer had a reason to use it, and the money that we've saved by not getting it has probably paid for a vacation or two. The only reasons I'd actually cancel a vacation would be for reasons that would make a missed vacation pale in comparison.

At this point we're way ahead of the curve, so een if we lost everything (which probably wouldn't happen as Disney and airlines would probably work with you to reschedule) we've still saed some money over the years.

gerald72
08-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I always skip it. I don't think it really gets you anything.
Even without insurance, and you need to cancel the vacation, you still get money back (varies depending on time/ package)
I called them once and asked what are the advantages of getting the insurance. They mentioned things like they will replace your camera if it breaks on vacation.
I don't know, but do you really see them replacing things you broke while on vacation?

faline
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
We have occasionally insured trips - particularly if the trip is a package with a fairly expensive dollar value. We do not insure most trips - particularly room only reservations as the penalties for cancellation - even a late cancellation - are usually not significantly high enough to warrant insuring the trip.

diz_girl
08-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I've used it once and I'll probably use it again for my next trip. Both times pregnant (this time will be @ 6 months), so it gives me peace of mind if I'd need to cancel due to a medical issue related to my pregnancy. I'm also a DVC member now and if I had to cancel at the last minute I am covered for my lost points.

Tinker Fan
08-25-2010, 10:56 AM
We used it the first trip but haven't used in since then and have never had an issue. We have probably saved enough for a trip!!!

VWL Mom
08-25-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm also a DVC member now and if I had to cancel at the last minute I am covered for my lost points.

I agree

Disney4us2
08-25-2010, 11:25 AM
I haven't insured our first two trips. I am insured on the December trip and will insure the two following trips.

My father is 90 years young, healthy at the moment but with medical issues. At the age of 90, anything can happen. I think it is worth the $67.00 for peace of mind. In my case it works for us.:mickey:

BrerGnat
08-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I don't buy it through Disney, but through Travel Guard. We purchase it for high value trips, as someone else mentioned. Or, I would always purchase during the height of flu season, in case someone were to get very sick prior to the trip and we'd have to cancel.

I also insured a trip when I went solo, because if something had happened to my husband or one of my kids (illness, etc.) I'd have had to cancel to stay home.

For me, Trip insurance is one of those things that is a small price to pay for peace of mind. However, Disney's trip insurance is pricey...and there are more competitive rates out there. It doesn't matter who you insure through.

Oh, and ALWAYS purchase trip insurance for cruises. They are VERY strict about who can board a ship these days, and if you have even a hint of a fever or obvious symptoms of illness, you will be denied boarding!

NokOnHarts
08-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. We're going in January so was just concerned about weather. Appreciate your thoughts!

DizneyRox
08-25-2010, 07:27 PM
Thanks so much for the replies. We're going in January so was just concerned about weather. Appreciate your thoughts!
Weather happens year round. I wouldn't buy it for weather related problems.

BrerGnat
08-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah, weather issues are usually something that can be worked with, so if that is your ONLY concern, skip the insurance.

Flight delays, cancellations, etc. can all be dealt with by the airlines. They do it every day, for some reason or another. Disney is usually pretty flexible if you are delayed due to weather.

If I was traveling in January and had to fly through a risky area (like, the Rockies, or New England), I'd likely book a ROOM ONLY reservation at WDW, not a package. That way, if something really catastrophic happens, like a blizzard that shuts down the airport for days on end and you don't make it down, the most you will lose is your one night's deposit when you call to cancel.

Donald's Girl
08-26-2010, 11:51 AM
We've just started taking out the insurance and will probably continue with it for the foreseeable future. Between worrying about elderly relatives, weather and other possibilities we think it's worth the @$67/person.

Everyone talks about "what if" in regards to having to cancel prior to going. For us, the more important thing is that the insurance covers us in case something happens when we are already there!

VWL Mom
08-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Just something to keep in mind is that trip cancellation insurance not only covers a cancelled trip but depending on the company may also cover travel expenses for trips that are interrupted. Of course, the specifics would need to be verified with the company you are using.