PDA

View Full Version : US/IOA/Disney? Three full days

hoosmi
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
OK, Disney nut here finally agreed to try Universal/IOA. I'm excited, but way out of my comfort zone! There are 5 of us: me, DH, DD10, DS4, and DS2. I've booked Portofino Bay for Friday-Tuesday of Labor Day weekend.

Thinking of HP/IOA on Saturday, and US on Sunday.

I'm getting nervous about the two little guys. DS4 is 45 inches. DH and DD10 definitely want to do all the HP stuff and coasters including the ones DS4 is too small/young for- and that's really my problem and question--

If DH and DD10 are going on the big coasters and getting in potentially long lines, is there enough for me to do with DS4 and DS2 together while we are waiting? As an example, at MK we'll do the teacups or Buzz while DH and DD are on Space Mountain or at HS we'll do the Toy Story ride while they are on ToT. The boys will be happy to be at the parks, but you can only kill so much time eating popcorn while you suffer from the injustice of your older, taller sister having fun...;) I'm sure we'll regroup and do some of the rides DS4 can do without DS2 but it doesn't seem like there are that many for his age.

Which brings me to my last thought (for now)- what to do Monday?

Should I consider driving to MK or should I just do the Universal parks in the morning and maybe the pool if it gets crazy crowded?

Thanks

Jen

PeaceLoveMickeyMouse
08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
IOA doesn't really offer a lot for little kids to do. They have a Dr. Seuss land that has a couple rides but it will only take an hour and a half tops to see and do everything there.

In my opinion I think you should spend Monday at MK. It's only about a 15 minute ride and there is plenty of things to do with the little ones.

Universal and IOA aren't really geared towards little kids.

Hope I helped out! :D

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
08-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Someone may correct me if I am wrong, but you shouldn't have to wait in line if you are staying at Portofino Bay. I believe you get an Express Pass for all the rides as many times as you want. So waiting in line should not be a problem.

hoosmi
08-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks!

Buccaneer- you are totally right about the Express Pass but they don't apply to the Rip Rocket coaster and Forbidden Journey, which would be the two rides my older peeps want to do the most!

PeaceLoveMickeyMouse- very helpful! I really wanted to wait until everyone was older, but I couldn't take listening to my daughter and husband whining about roller coasters and Harry Potter anymore! If I had my way, I'd go with everyone to HP on Saturday morning to see the HP stuff and then leave my thrill seekers to do whatever they wanted while the boys and I took off for Disney Sunday and Monday. :mickey:

Now to decide on tickets...

Jennifer

BowTie7
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
In IOA you and the two younger kids have a couple of options. The Harry Potter area is very detailed with street entertainment, you should be able to spend some time just looking around, also check if the entire group can go through the HP ride line, which is very detailed, and then just skip the actual ride (which has a height restriction). The next area over in the Jurasic Park area has an extensive play area. Not quite as close is the Dr. Suess area which has several rides including a fun scenic trolley, also check the schedule for the Suess storyteller--its kinda hidden away but very fun and ends with a character meet and greet. Over in the Studios kids area is off to one side by itself (and near E.T.), other than this area I agree that most of this park is for older folks. Remember that most of the bigger rides should allow a parent swap, so you can do any of the big rides you want to. Also remember that the hotel is pretty close to the parks, you could go back to it for a pool or rest break while the other two do the coasters.

NJGIRL
08-24-2010, 09:04 AM
I have to disagree that there is not enough to do at Universal/ IOA for the younger kids. We have been taking my son since he was younger than your children and we have always spent full days in the parks. Stuff for kids are listed and I'm sure I don't have everything.

IOA:
Cat in the Hat
One Fish Two Fish
Seuss Merry Go Round
If I Ran a Zoo (this is a play area that can take up alot of time)
High in the Sky Seuss Train Trolley
Oh the Stories You'll Hear (show)
Sinbad (show)
Camp Jurassic (another play area that my son still spends at least an hour in. It has caves, bridges,fog and water!)
Jurassic Park Discovery Center
The Me Ship Olive

Studios:
ET Adventure
Jimmy Neutron
Shrek 4D
Men in Black
Woody Woodpeckers Coaster
A Day in the Park with Barney (show)
Fievels Playground (very cool, another place that kids don't want to leave)
Curious George Goes to Town (this is an interactive water area that again my son could stay here for at least an hour. The last time he wanted to stay longer!)

This is nothing like Disney's playgrounds and I suggest you have the little ones wear their bathing suits and sandels because they will get soaked. I always bring a towel also. At IOA they can also get wet very quickly. I always have my son wear this bathing suit in both parks.

You shouldn't have any problem keeping the kids busy.