PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head or Vero Beach?

Simba 1
08-22-2010, 10:17 PM
We just bought into DVC and haven't been to HH or VB yet. Next year DH and I want to plan a little getaway for just the two of us - preferably after school starts (maybe late Sept, early Oct 2011). Would you recommend HH or VB? Being resort areas, I was also wondering if the surrounding areas tend to shut down after Labor Day. I'd hate to make the trip only to find the shops and restaurants closed for the season.

Thanks!

Ed
08-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Of the two, Vero is your better bet. :thumbsup:

The resort is directly on the ocean (HH is not) and the surrounding area is "open for business" year round. There are numerous excellent restaurants within a ten or fifteen minute drive, and plenty of shops.

We have stayed at VB numerous times (it's only 75 miles from our home) and have always found it to be extremely relaxing. The resort is very well maintained, the pool is great, the two on-site restaurants are very good, and the staff is wonderful.

iloveokw
08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Hilton Head in Oct is supposed to be wonderful.

We also love Vero.
How I would have to decide:

1. Flying or driving?
2. How long is your trip?
3. Is it a short trip and you are flying, then which resort is the easiest/quickest to get to?

Just my two cents

Aurora
08-26-2010, 05:45 PM
We've done HH and VB in October. Both are very beautiful and relaxing resorts, and there's plenty of shopping and restaurants in the vicinity of both. A couple of notes:

While Vero is right on the beach and HH is not, it is an easy bike ride (HH rents them) or drive to the beach from HH. Disney has a resort-guest-only dedicated pool and parking garage right at the beach. Plus at HH the sand is such a great packing type that you can ride your bike on the beach.

Be warned that in the fall is the annual flight of the "love bugs" in Florida. Reports have them at various two week periods in August, September or October, so you may encounter them at Vero Beach at the right time. They're not harmful, don't bite, and they're just a nuisance (they tend to be all over the balconies).

Hilton Head, being in South Carolina, has more of a southern flavor, complete with Spanish moss on live oak trees, and also is adjacent to lovely marshlands. Since Vero is right on the ocean, it's more beach-oriented and the ocean views are awesome. It's also turtle nesting season at Vero until October, so they offer a little "turtle awareness."

I don't think you can go wrong with either for a romantic getaway.

pox24
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
We live about an hour south of Vero and although its a wonderful beach resort, you cannot compare it with HHI. HHI has more of evrything and I mean everything... shopping, food golf, scenic trips, Savannah close by. Vero Beach is not a major tourist point for many. if you to just lay around and do nothing on the Ocean, then maybe Vero is best for you. We visit Vero on day trips alot because we are so close. If HHI were the same distance I would be there instead.