PDA

View Full Version : Delta Dreamflight

MickeysEars
08-20-2010, 11:18 PM
What was this? Which park and at what location? :confused:

ILoveLegos
08-20-2010, 11:30 PM
It was a former incarnation of what is now Buzz Light-year Space Ranger Spin. It was airplane travel through the eyes of a child with pop-up books and you passed through an airplane engine. It was my favorite ride as a child in 1978. I especially loved the Delta dream flight song.

PeterPan
08-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Delta Dream Flight began life in the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland (Where Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger's Spin" is located) as "If You Had Wings." This ride, hosted by Eastern Airlines, lasted from 1972 - 1987. Next came "If You Could Fly" which lasted from 1987 - 1989. Next came "Delta Dream Flight." The attraction was completely remodeled (it's first two incarnations were basically the same except for the music) and opened in 1989 and closed in 1996.

Tekneek
08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I loved this when I was a kid. The old "speed tunnel" concept worked really well, and the music was very catchy (for each of the various incarnations, as I recall).

lettripp
08-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I have one very vivid memory of this ride and for years had NO idea what it was from. I mentioned it to my parents and they had no idea what I was talking about. Can't even tell you how good it feels to know I wasn't imagining it!!

MickeysEars
08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
The "speed tunnel" you are talking about, was that like the one that used to be on the People Mover at DL (WDW's TTA) ? When I was a child it was race cars speeding past you at a VERY high volume. We got stuck on that not once but twice and did they turn off the volume? NO, not for for about 30 minutes. We had to be walked off. In the 80's it was switched to TRON with the light cycles...stuck again!

JPL
08-21-2010, 11:38 PM
The speed Tunnels are still in use on the Buzz but they don't really have the same effect as they did on If You had Wings or Dream Flight. The sapce scene used for Buzz just seems to not have the same feeling of motion or speed the older version did.

Imagineer1981
08-23-2010, 01:13 PM
The speed tunnel on Buzz is really worthless because you really can't score any points :(

faline
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
What a nice trip down memory lane! I enjoyed both incarnations of this ride that came before Buzz Lightyear!

joonyer
08-23-2010, 01:51 PM
For lot's more interesting info about WDW attractions that are no longer there, try an internet search using the key words "Walt" and "Dated" and "World" and you'll find some more interesting trips down memory lane. Especially fun if you visited WDW in the 70's as a kid like I did.

Daisy'sMom
08-23-2010, 06:16 PM
I love watching video of "If You Had Wings". It was one of our favorites.

crmark1
08-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I loved the first incarnation of this ride when I was 12 and visited WDW in 1974. Part of it may have been because my Father worked for Eastern Airlines!

wdwfansince75
08-23-2010, 09:25 PM
On our very first trip, in 75, DD#2, then 5, and DMiL rode "If You Had Wings" over and over...They both loved it. All of the other attractions required tickets (the old ABCDE books), but IYHW was a free attraction. It had almost no line. In the heat of that July trip, it was a cool (air conditioned) place to relax on hot afternoons. By our second trip, five years later, DD#2 and DD#1 were off on more adventurous rides, but now DS#2 discovered IYHW...and since DMiL didn't come on that trip, DW and I had to take turns riding with him. But the good news back then was that "If you had wings, had wings, had wings, ect...." served to overwrite, "Its a small, small world!"

beksy
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I loved Delta Dreamflight and miss riding it. We used to ride it over and over when I was young.

mainemajor
09-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I loved this when I was a kid. The old "speed tunnel" concept worked really well, and the music was very catchy (for each of the various incarnations, as I recall).

Plus, if I am not mistaken, this ride did not require even an "A" ticket back in the olden days of A-E tickets. It was fun and free, two things I love :cool: