PDA

View Full Version : "Good" meat?

dinahvixen
08-20-2010, 08:22 PM
My family eats meat, but usually only at home where we get what we call "good meat" from local farmers - we avoid feedlot meat and meat with hormones and antibiotics. HOWEVER, we will be at Disney for 7 days, and that's a lot of days of just mac and cheese for my girls (yes, I know that the processed foodstuffs and hormone filled cheese is just as bad as the meat, but we have to eat something). My 9year old is especially sensitive to making sure we eat in a way that our family feels is appropriate. How would I go about finding out if any restaurants at the world source their meat from non feedlot sources?

Alternatively, assuming we would eat like vegetarians while we're there, does anyone have suggestions so that my 9yo will have more options than pbj and pasta? We will be on the dining plan.

My husband and I will make exceptions while we're traveling b/c options are so limited, but my daughter won't, and it's hard for her to fathom why it's okay to suspend your beliefs b/c you're not at home - which is more noble than my husband and I are!

I am not looking for an argument on food beliefs, just suggestions on where/what to eat,
Thanks.

McLiberal8
08-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Hey there!
I personally am a vegetarian, so in termed of free range meats and such, I am not so sure. When in doubt, always call Disney. They are usually very knowlegable.
I can tell you some of my favorite veggie meals at WDW.
Magic Kingdom:
*Harbor House : Veggie Chili, Lighthouse Sandwich (hummus)
*Plaza Resturant : great veggie sandwich
* Tomorrowland Noodle Terrace : Tofu Noodle Bowl
* Cosmic Rays : a very good veggie burger here, and they have tons of toppings !

Epcot:
*Sunshine Seasons : This place has always seemed a bit more organically inclined - would be suprised if they didn't have some kind of 'good meat' here, I love the veggie Cuban!
*Japan : The Kaki Gori (shaved ice) is always a great treat@!
*Morrocco : They have a good vegetarian platter, here

Hollywood Studios:
*Starring Rolls : Whole Wheat Veggie Pita
* Rosies : Veggie Burger
* Backlot Express : Grilled Veggie Sandwich

Animal Kingdom (not very veg friendly)
* There is a good fruit/cheese plate at Harambe Fruit Market

these are mostly counter service. In terms of character meals, I would highly recommend Crystal Palace. The chefs there are super nice about giving you a dietary tour of the buffet! Hope this helps.

dinahvixen
08-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Wow - thanks, as a not-vegetarian, I didn't realize there would be so many options - I guess I wasn't scanning for them on the menus,
Thanks for the input!

BrerGnat
08-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Do you eat fish? There are a few places on property that have FRESH caught fish.

Bluezoo at the Dolphin has some organic free range chicken and Berkshire pork on their menu, along with a host of fresh fish items. It's a TS, and expensive, but well worth it.

The Wave at Contemporary specializes in locally sourced menu items. That would be a solid choice as well.

In general, you'll have better luck with the "signature" dining establishments for this type of thing. Start by looking at those menus, and adjust your food budget accordingly!

dinahvixen
08-22-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks! I didn't think we'd find this much - I will definitely check those places out, yes we do eat fish,
thanks so much! I felt a little silly with this post, but I guess not b/c I got two great responses!

BrerGnat
08-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I just noticed you're on the dining plan. Might want to consider upgrading to the Deluxe Dining Plan, since you will likely find yourself at a few 2 credit TS places...

wonderalice23
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I have always tried to eat more responsibly at Disney - I second the recommendation of the Litehouse sandwich! I love it so much that I make it at home. Good luck!

diz_girl
08-23-2010, 01:32 PM
I think that Artist Point at WL has a cedar plank wild salmon.

Fastpasssteve
08-24-2010, 12:47 AM
Disney has become much more conscious of their vegetarian guests...as well as those with food allergies.

The Signature Dining Restaurants are going to be your best bet for "good" meat and game...as well as line-caught fish...but that can get a little pricey. If you want to splurge and go someplace that has a nice variety, you might consider Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge (you could view the animals while you're there and tour the lovely main hall).

However, there are a few things I saw overlooked by previous posters:

In the Magic Kingdom:
@ the Main Street Bakery - they have a lovely tomato & mozzarella sandwich on freshly-baked bread. They also have some quiche options that would be more friendly. Their cinnamon rolls are not to be missed.

@ some counter service places like Pecos Bill's I believe one can get a baked potato with all the toppings you could ever want.

In EPCOT:
@ the Boulangerie Patisserie (bakery in France), they have wonderful desserts and sandwiches made with high quality ingredients...some vegetarian or fish. There is also at least on veg quiche offered.

@ the new Pizza di Napoli in Italy, they are making wonderful pizza with many veg options.

In the Animal Kingdom:
@ the Yak & Yeti, they have some lovely seafood entrees that are not too expensive. Well-prepared food in a lovely setting...it's on the way to Expedition Everest.

Enjoy. It's better to ask questions now, before your trip. There would be no joy in Mudville if you ended up having a hot dog at Casey's!

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-24-2010, 09:54 AM
I know that a lot of the Epcot restaurants serve vegetables raised in their own gardens from the Land Pavilion....should be organic

renecat
08-24-2010, 11:38 AM
I remeber some years ago my DH & I were at Leceller were our waiter told us the food was flown in from Nova Scotia fresh every day. I don't know if they still do this or not.

BrerGnat
08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
I know that a lot of the Epcot restaurants serve vegetables raised in their own gardens from the Land Pavilion....should be organic

It's not necessarily Organic. There's a lot you have to do as a farm to earn that distinction.

However, the plants ARE grown hydroponically, so that's a good thing.

I thought that the veggies grown in the land were used only at the Garden Grill and the Coral Reef. Do more restaurants use them? I really have no idea...would be interesting to know for sure.

diz_girl
08-24-2010, 02:01 PM
I thought that the veggies grown in the land were used only at the Garden Grill and the Coral Reef. Do more restaurants use them? I really have no idea...would be interesting to know for sure.

I remember asking a CM in The Land about the vegetables and they said that those vegetables are used in Sunshine Seasons and the Garden Grill. They also mentioned that the restaurants also use vegetables from outside The Land (from commercial sources) because The Land doesn't produce enough to supply those restaurants with vegetables year-round.

dinahvixen
08-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Wow, what a lot of little gem suggestions - I never would have thought to look for quiche in the bakery - now I really don't feel silly for posting this - thanks a lot, everyone!

kakn7294
08-24-2010, 11:18 PM
I think you'll find that most of the TS locations also have at least 1 meatless dish on the menu. Yak & Yeti has a very good vegetable lo mein. Several places also list free-range or wild-caught poultry and fish on their menus.

Don't be afraid to ask for the chef to visit your table to talk about the items on the menu and the alternate items. You can call ahead to ask as well. Some will be willing to work with you for items for you daughter as well since the children's menus are much more limited than the adult menus.

beksy
08-26-2010, 08:41 AM
I love meat so I'm not much help here :blush: but I would highly recommend mentioning this wherever you choose to eat. I asked about nuts at Kona on our last trip (mild allergy) and the chef came out, made notes and suggestions, and was very helpful. Disney is great with this kind of issue. Also, do you eat seafood? There are some great places with seafood options.

Its good to ask your questions now, no matter how silly they might seem...Intercotees are great with finding answers!