PDA

View Full Version : Epic Mickey Coming Soon!

WDWfanatic742
08-20-2010, 04:28 PM
With Gamescon being this week, Epic Mickey was showed off a little more. Head to one of the many gaming sites and they'll probably have video or previews of the game. To me it's looking really good. One site had video of one of the many levels with an area themed to Fantasyland with "it's a small world", "Mad Tea Party" and other different rides in it.

Hopefully they'll give a solid date for release as right now it's still "Holiday 2010"...

Daisy'sMom
08-21-2010, 05:34 PM
DH just mentioned that he can't wait for this game! I have never seen him so exciteed about a video game.:mickey:

Patricia
08-26-2010, 01:23 PM
The latest release date has been stated as Nov.1 in the US.. but I also see Nov.30 for Canada.

So.. it will likely be Nov some time. Keep in mind all dates are subject to change.

Though, I'm pretty certain they'll want it out for Christmas.

BrerGnat
08-26-2010, 01:49 PM
I have it pre ordered via Amazon.com! I'm very excited about this game! :thumbsup:

WDWfanatic742
08-31-2010, 06:37 AM
They announced a Collector's Edition today (Of course :rolleyes:) for $69.99. :eyes:

Still however no "Official" Release Date. It includes:

Special packaging
Disney Epic Mickey Game
Exclusive 5 inch Collectible Vinyl Epic Mickey Figure
Special Edition DVD with behind the scenes footage and additional marketing assets and videos
Epic Mickey Stylized Wii Remote Faceplate
2 Epic Mickey Stylized Wii Console skins

I'm not so sure about it myself...

BrerGnat
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
They announced a Collector's Edition today (Of course :rolleyes:) for $69.99. :eyes:

Still however no "Official" Release Date. It includes:

Special packaging
Disney Epic Mickey Game
Exclusive 5 inch Collectible Vinyl Epic Mickey Figure
Special Edition DVD with behind the scenes footage and additional marketing assets and videos
Epic Mickey Stylized Wii Remote Faceplate
2 Epic Mickey Stylized Wii Console skins

I'm not so sure about it myself...

You're not so sure about the game itself, or the "collector's edition".

I'd never spend extra for a collector's edition of ANYTHING (I don't fall for it on DVDs either), but this game looks really amazing.

The release date is confirmed for Nov. 1.

WDWfanatic742
09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Not so sure about the Collector's Edition, the game looks to be awesome though.

Official release date has been confirmed for November 26th in the U.K. and November 30th in North America...

WDWfanatic742
09-18-2010, 03:17 PM
With Playstation Move coming out a couple days ago, maybe just maybe we can get a port over to the Playstation 3 in the future. Would be cool to play this in HD, November 30th can't come soon enough :D

BrerGnat
09-18-2010, 04:22 PM
I hope they stop changing the release date.

DH told me today he WANTS the collector's edition. He likes the Wii skin that comes with it. I guess we're getting the collector's edition.

Patricia
09-20-2010, 05:12 PM
This Collectors Edition is just annoying me... $20 more dollars for the swag. Of course I'll have to spend that, as I'm told that I should always get anything special when it's available.. sigh.

BrerGnat
09-20-2010, 05:49 PM
This Collectors Edition is just annoying me... $20 more dollars for the swag. Of course I'll have to spend that, as I'm told that I should always get anything special when it's available.. sigh.

DH actually wants collectors editions of THREE Wii games... :rolleyes:

The Epic Mickey one surprised me though...he's usually not that "into" Disney/Mickey decorations. I'm surprised he wants to use the skin, actually.

WDWfanatic742
11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Amazon is selling the Collector's Edition for $64.99, $5 off the normal price. Then release date shipping is only 99 cents, putting total price at $65.98.

Amazon is selling the Standard Edition for $49.99, with a $10 credit off your next video game purchase at Amazon. Then release date shipping is only 99 cents, putting total price at $40.98.

I already have 20 bucks from Black Ops, so may get the Collector's Edition now...

Mogie
11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
I really hope they eventually release this for the XBOX 360...

DizneyRox
11-22-2010, 07:43 AM
The opening sequence is pretty dark, much like the Sorcerers Apprentice, it actually borrows a lot from that (Yen Sid is part of it). Looks pretty good! It's all over youtube... The game is already available on the Internets as well...

Not sure I would invest in any of the collectors editions, etc though. A famous PT Barnum quote comes to mind...

JPL
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I never understood the 1 system exclusive games. I mean the average person is not going to buy a different system just for one game. I really think they close out a large portion of their target audience.

WDWfanatic742
11-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Well the whole paintbrush thing was really only possible to consumers on the Wii until just a couple months ago. Sure developers have had the Move and Kinect for awhile now, but nobody wants to develop on a platform that they have no idea how it's going to come out.

Plus I'm sure they got an Exclusive contract with Nintendo just off how much press they are getting from them...

WDWfanatic742
11-25-2010, 10:03 AM
So the reviews are out for the game. Most praise the game for getting Mickey back into video games and getting Oswald the respect he deserves. The story seems to be the biggest plus, with lots of extras for us Disney fans that should be able to pick out everything. The only things that seem to be a negatives are the camera is like the old Mario 64 game (If you played that you know the camera can be annoying sometimes). Then the combat is almost secondary (I don't think this is much of a con, as I didn't want to be the main point for the game).

Overall, most are giving 8's and above. I can't wait for this game :number1:

queenmom9497
11-27-2010, 06:45 AM
DD1 Birthday is on Thursday. We pre-ordered it for her. Will pick up for her Sweet 16 on Tuesday morning for the Thursday birthday.

RBrooksC
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
This game was originally slated for all the consoles. However, the lead developer felt the game play would not translate to the PS3 nor the XBox360 with the traditional controller.

So, the game was limited to the Wii to start. However, I did read with the new motion-sensing peripherals for the PS3 and 360 would allow the game to eventually be ported to those systems.

BrerGnat
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
I, for one, am happy that Nintendo Wii was the chosen platform. Nintendo never got Kingdom Hearts... :( It's our turn to have a cool game!

WDWfanatic742
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
It gives me a reason to play on my dust collector for once :D

Magic Smiles
12-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I never understood the 1 system exclusive games. I mean the average person is not going to buy a different system just for one game. I really think they close out a large portion of their target audience.
Well I have to say that I don't have the average son. Yes he bought the PS3 for 1 game back a couple of years ago, but now uses it for other games and as a blu-ray player. We do own ALL the systems :mickey:
I picked up the collector's edition of Epic Mickey and the paintbrush nunchuk. Looks so cool. Also picked up the Deluxe Players Guide. It is hard covered and looks to be amazing, but I can't open it until DS gets it for a Christmas gift. DS is currently in University and is planning on pursuing a career in video game creation. This players guide seems to have lots of neat extra stuff in it and since one of his professors has told them to play as many games as possible I thought that a little extra reading material would be a bonus:mickey:

Melanie
12-01-2010, 08:03 AM

With you there! My 10yo is really wanting this game. Works out great since the Wii is in his room. I think we'll get it for him for his January bday.

BrerGnat
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Dust collector? You're really missing out if you haven't been using your Wii to its full potential. ;)

I played a bit of Epic Mickey yesterday. Just starting to get into it. The beginning is a bit slow going...but visually, very impressive! Love the animated cut scenes!

WDWfanatic742
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
It's just that I have a PS3 as well, and I'm more into those kinds of games. Not so much shooters as much as just the sports games and co-op games which I like alot. The online for PS3 is just so much better that it makes the Wii look like a joke with it's online system and friend codes which are such a pain and I love playing with people that I know...

I have a couple of the REALLY good games for Wii, but you don't get as many quality good games on the Wii as you do on PS3 and 360 because third party developers don't want to develop on a system so different than the other two if they are already developing on them. That said, Super Mario Galaxy is really awesome, one of the best games on the current generation. I wanna get New Super Mario Bros one of these days as well cause that looks really fun.

Epic Mickey is going to be awesome as well when I get a chance to get my hands on it. I want to try and start developing a list of the attractions and lands and different theme park things they have in the game just to see all of the stuff they've packed in. I was happy to see that they put the original peoplemover in Tomorrowland (I think I remember the old Disneyland Moonliner in the game as well which is cool)

BrerGnat
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Epic Mickey is going to be awesome as well when I get a chance to get my hands on it. I want to try and start developing a list of the attractions and lands and different theme park things they have in the game just to see all of the stuff they've packed in. I was happy to see that they put the original peoplemover in Tomorrowland (I think I remember the old Disneyland Moonliner in the game as well which is cool)

Most of the inspiration for the game was taken from DisneyLAND. It's very obvious...I haven't come across anything yet that is obviously from WDW...

PirateLover
12-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I received the game for my birthday on 12/3 and have only had time to put about an hours worth of gameplay in. I do like it BUT the camera is definitely driving me insane

WDWfanatic742
12-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I received the game for my birthday on 12/3 and have only had time to put about an hours worth of gameplay in. I do like it BUT the camera is definitely driving me insane

That's the one thing that I keep on reading about the game, and that's a real shame...

BrerGnat
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
The camera is definitely annoying. I've died quite a few times fighting bosses because the camera gets "stuck". :(

FYI, the ENTIRE game is based on DisneyLAND attractions, and more specifically, only those things that were in existence prior to 1967 (this included cartoon characters). I heard an interview with the creator of the game. There will be NO other theme parks/attractions represented.

WDWfanatic742
12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
FYI, the ENTIRE game is based on DisneyLAND attractions, and more specifically, only those things that were in existence prior to 1967 (this included cartoon characters). I heard an interview with the creator of the game. There will be NO other theme parks/attractions represented.

Until they make a sequel on the Wii HD, PS4, and XBOX 720 :laughing:

You'd think that they would look at how good this will do, how much people loved VMK years ago, and put two and two together and make something of their own virtual park wise. Yeah they have the Google Earth thing, but something more game like that us fans would love. There are tons of us that love collecting music and videos of the rides and parks so that we can have those memories at home and something like a better version of VMK would be perfect.

BTW, since it's 1967 does the game include Carousel of Progress since it was moved there the summer of that year and isn't there anymore? I could only imagine what they could have done with that...

BrerGnat
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Until they make a sequel on the Wii HD, PS4, and XBOX 720 :laughing:

You'd think that they would look at how good this will do, how much people loved VMK years ago, and put two and two together and make something of their own virtual park wise. Yeah they have the Google Earth thing, but something more game like that us fans would love. There are tons of us that love collecting music and videos of the rides and parks so that we can have those memories at home and something like a better version of VMK would be perfect.

BTW, since it's 1967 does the game include Carousel of Progress since it was moved there the summer of that year and isn't there anymore? I could only imagine what they could have done with that...

Agree! I'd love a game that includes more parks, specifically Epcot!

Yes, Carousel of Progress is in the game! Sort of. ;)

I should have clarified...the stuff goes through 1967, but not beyond. The game creator only wanted to include those attractions that Walt personally had a hand in before his death. So, he went up to 1967 so he could include Jungle Cruise and Pirates.

WDWfanatic742
12-07-2010, 04:53 PM
Yeah I figured it was but something that huge I wanted to know for sure. And that sounds so mysterious ;) :D

It's so nice playing a game by Warren Spector who is so passionate about Disney.

Melanie
12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
So how are you guys liking it so far? Noticed Amazon has it for $39.99 now.

WDWfanatic742
12-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm getting this for Christmas. Some girls can't keep any secrets :D :secret:

Any tips to the game? I can't wait to play it :thumbsup:

Dakota Rose
12-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I got mine for Christmas too. I do like the game, but like many have said, the camera angles stink. I've only played it for a few hours so far. It definitely has a nostalgic feel to it and I like that a lot. I do need some hints and tips, but somewhere out there I'm sure there's a walkthrough or something like that. My complaint with all Wii games is that the directions included with the game are very brief. I miss the good ol' days (1980s Nintendo days) when the games came with a brief walk-through, etc. Anyway, I'm very excited to have this game!

WDWfanatic742
12-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I've played it for a couple hours and for me too, the camera is the only thing holding the game back. I'm at a part where I stopped where for whatever reason I can't reach what I want. I don't want to use a site or anything, but I really want it! :D

BWayGrl
12-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I got this game for Christmas and I absolutely love it! (My fiance got me a Wii specifically so he could buy me this game. What a guy!) I'm not a huge gamer, but this one really has me addicted!

I get really excited by the history of Disney, so this game is right up my alley. So many little nuances. The different lands have so many references and visual similarities to the actual lands in Disneyland! The gameplay is intermixed with cute little cartoons that progress the story forward. And I just love how Oswald the Lucky Rabbit is incorporated! This game is pretty Epic :mickey:

Lizzy
12-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I have only played for a little bit, just started last night. Yes the camera is annoying, reminds me a lot of N64 games and that horrible Mario game for Gamecube where you had to use the water to wash away the paint.

I do love this game. I have had the Wii for a couple years now, but haven't played too many games on it besides the Fit. So controlling Mickey and his paint brush is a challenge to me. I have a hard time keeping it pointed where I want, and when the camera gets stuck I get frusterated. I love the little details in this game that only us Disney buffs would understand. I got to explain to my 12 year old and my Boyfriend who Oswald was.

I don't see how this couldn't have worked for the PS3. I love my PS3 and think it would have worked just fine with the joysticks on the controller. Oh well.

As someone else mentioned, I was one of the ones who loved VMK a few years ago. How awsome would it be to take our Mii's to VMK? Disney should totally do that!

teambricker04
12-29-2010, 11:23 PM
DH is playing right now... He loves it and I actually don't mind just watching. The videos are really cool.

I am not very good at playing video games. Okay, that's an understatement! I am TERRIBLE. The camera angles on this are such that I can't hardly move Mickey around.... I am more of a tetris kind of gamer player though.

My oldest son is 6 and I would probably let him try it out although he would probably get frustrated, but it is really only as dark as you make it.

I must say it is much more entertaining that watching Star Wars games :mickey:

lettripp
01-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I am only slightly embarrassed to say that I played Epic Mickey for about... Ok... 5 hours today :crazy: (I'm sick and vegging and it has been a very enjoyable way to recover).

Anyway, the camera was frustrating at first, but once I got used to using the "1" button to see through Mickey's eyes, and then hitting it to go back into the game and automatically ending up on the best camera angle for the situation, it got better.

I am not normally a big time video-gamer. I get stressed out and give up - but this game kept my attention for a long enough time that I can imagine the game will appeal to a wide audience.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Disney touches that only true Disney people will get (the music is my favorite part - songs put into minor, or tiny excerpts from songs placed in a larger sound track). My sister and I sat, yelling and laughing at the screen as we noticed parallels.

The only reason I put it down today is I encountered an enemy that I have serious difficulty defeating - and like I said earlier - got frustrated and put it down. (I'm like a kid - games stop being fun once I start to lose... repeatedly)

Anyway, I hope everyone else who plays enjoys it as much as I do!!!!!!

Frog
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
my mil gifted this game to me for Christmas! I too am a little embarrassed to say that i played for ev er yesterday! I have made it to tomorrow land er wait tomorrow city... very cool indeed... but those darn people movers were very tough and kept running over my poor mickey! After solving that "issue" I am painting again like a madman! I love the way you must use some brain to figure things out and am anxious to see how it all plays out... apparently there are different outcomes depending on how you play???

lettripp
01-02-2011, 08:27 PM
my mil gifted this game to me for Christmas! I too am a little embarrassed to say that i played for ev er yesterday! I have made it to tomorrow land er wait tomorrow city... very cool indeed... but those darn people movers were very tough and kept running over my poor mickey! After solving that "issue" I am painting again like a madman! I love the way you must use some brain to figure things out and am anxious to see how it all plays out... apparently there are different outcomes depending on how you play???

I am stuck in Tomorrow City!!! The enemies are SO DIFFICULT TO KILL.

Tips?

Frog
01-03-2011, 11:30 AM
pm sent
so as not to spoil anything ;)

lettripp
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Good plan! :-)

JabberJaws
01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I am stuck in Tomorrow City!!! The enemies are SO DIFFICULT TO KILL.

Tips?

Yeah I just got to TomorrowCity so can't account for the bad guys there, but I've figured out the easiest way to kill baddies, especially when they are in groups, is to lure them near a pool of thinner or a cliff and knock them into the thinner or off the cliff w/ the spin move.

If there isn't anything like that nearby, lure them out into an open area, knock them out, paint one or two of the most powerful ones to help you out, then keep knocking them out and thinning them.

JabberJaws
01-03-2011, 01:34 PM
By the way, in general I love the game. Still not as fun as Kingdom Hearts (my all time favorite Disney-related video game), but it is a lot of fun. Visually, it is one of the more interesting games I have seen in a long time. The creative, dynamic visuals really make up for the Wii's lack of HD and the "twisted" design of Disneyland is extremely innovative. I think it would actually make for a great movie.

The soundtrack is really cool too. The creepy IASW music when fighting the Clock Tower was especially unnerving.

Also the deteriorated, run down decorations/attractions are really neat (and creepy). The dumbo ride early on, ragged IASW dolls :thedolls:, etc. Also, MickeyJunk Mountain was really neat w/ all the old discarded Mickey merchandise.

I would also say that the story is very well done and very nostalgic. Really neat to see Oswald and speculate how the rise of Mickey Mouse to prominence might have made him feel, being the once bright-star of Walt Disney Animation.

The only downsides are some of the flaws in gameplay. I wish it was a little more action/strategy oriented and less "fetch-quests." Having to constantly go find lost junk or locate other characters gets a little annoying.

Also, the camera is a little messy, but not as bad as I have seen some people say. I will say, you absolutely have to use the manual camera controls (D-pad) and even those don't always work. Once I got used to using the D-pad in conjunction w/ moving it made it a lot easier.

All-in-all I'd say this is a fun, visually amazing game that will certainly not blow away anyone (especially hardcore gamers or those focused more on HD pixels and less on originality), but can be a very fun game for disney and non-disney lovers alike.

Ian
01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Santa delivered Epic Mickey to our house for Christmas (it was all DS4 would say he wanted!).

A couple thoughts on it ... first off, Santa was very generous with the Wii games in our house so it hasn't actually gotten that much play yet. Right now Lego Batman & Robin is the big hit. ;)

My immediate thoughts were that it was a visually appealing game (especially for Wii) and that the gameplay was fairly unique. It's a relatively compelling story (I agree that the Oswald theme is a neat choice) and is very well done in terms of the overall feel of the environment.

I will say that I'd have to agree with most folks reviewing it and say that I find the camera angles fairly annoying. I play a lot of first-person games like this and while it's true that they all suffer from this problem to some degree, EM seems to be worse than others. It's frustrating especially when you're in battle and you can't get the camera swung around behind you fast enough to actually see your enemies. That annoyed me.

I also would dispute Disney's claim that it's suitable for kids of all ages. If you can't read, you really can't play the game effectively. I actually feel bad for DS4, because he was so excited to get this, but very disappointed once he played it because he was clearly confused. And let me tell you ... he's a very avid gamer and loves the Wii. He's not your typical four year old when it comes to video games.

Overall I just have to dig a bit deeper into it myself before I can give it a thorough review. These are just very topline comments based on maybe two or three hours worth of total game play.

Frog
01-04-2011, 09:11 AM
i agree with you Ian that it may not be so suitable to younger players... in fact, my dd7 was somewhat frightend/upset by the opening seen when our hero is "sucked" in to the park. She will live, no doubt, but there are some dark things in there... the blob thing at CP is still giving me nightmares! hahaha

WDWfanatic742
01-04-2011, 02:49 PM
It does say on the box that you should have basic reading skills in order to play the game, but you're right that they really didn't advertise that point of the game much at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the cut scene's with the 2D animation, but I kind of wish that they could have made them 3D with the actual voices of the characters instead of reading subtitles. It's okay though, it just would have been a plus...

Ian
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM
It does say on the box that you should have basic reading skills in order to play the game, but you're right that they really didn't advertise that point of the game much at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like the cut scene's with the 2D animation, but I kind of wish that they could have made them 3D with the actual voices of the characters instead of reading subtitles. It's okay though, it just would have been a plus...I agree on both points actually, but of course my son didn't see the box before he got all excited over the ads he saw on T.V.

And all the pre-launch publicity and reviews basically said it was "suitable for all ages", so I didn't know any better to try and talk him out of it.

Brer Robert
01-07-2011, 12:56 AM
i agree with you Ian that it may not be so suitable to younger players... in fact, my dd7 was somewhat frightend/upset by the opening seen when our hero is "sucked" in to the park. She will live, no doubt, but there are some dark things in there... the blob thing at CP is still giving me nightmares! hahaha

If I remember correctly, that was one of Warren Spector's aims when designing the game. He said in an interview that he wanted Disney to scare the youngsters a bit again just like they did in the early films.

Frog
01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Haha! Incredible! I just finished defeating petaTRONic! They threw in a tron and disc fighiting element! Very cool! Has anyone gotten all the way through this thing?

Not2Loud
01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
We just got it and I am still in IASM.

WDWfanatic742
01-14-2011, 06:51 PM
So I got the latest GameInformer today and in there is an interview with Warren Spector who created the game.

About the voice-less characters:

I thought it would be best to borrow an approach Walt used in the earliest Mickey cartoons where he didn't use actual words, but communicated mostly by making noises. I also had it in my head that Oswald, as a silent cartoon charater, couldn't talk and as ruler of Wasteland laid down the law - "if I can't speak, no one will."

About the camera problems:

There were situations in the game where we took control of the camera, which was necessary, but we decided not to let players override our decision. In other words, there are times when the manual camera controls simply don't work. Now, I think that may not have been our best decision. [...] I still think we did well - given the challenge we faced in combining these two genres into one game...

About making the game for Sony and Microsoft:

Man, I get asked this a lot and I always have to give the same answer. There's not reason why we couldn't put Disney Epic Mickey on other platforms. However, we're not working on it at this time.

About a sequel to Epic Mickey:

As far as a second Epic Mickey game goes, there's not shortage of interesting challenges to tackle. I have some ideas about music gameplay that could be fun and there's a world of stuff we can do with paint and thinner that we couldn't even have thought of the first time around.

WDWfanatic742
01-18-2011, 06:20 AM
Amazon is selling the game TODAY ONLY for $29.99. Just go to the gold box and it is the deal of the day while supplies last.

If you were thinking of picking this up, today's the day...:mickey:

Frog
03-02-2011, 03:40 PM
so, ive made it back to mickey junk mountain and am fighting a flying blob of sorts.. anyone here yet?
i am ashamed to tell you guys how long it has taken us to get here (or how much time we have wasted playing this...)

Frog
03-14-2011, 12:44 PM
IN The Towers!!!!

Frog
03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
That loud yell you may have just heard??
That was me helping Mickey get his heart back!!
DONE!
Wondering what I win for my efforts??? ;)

WDWfanatic742
08-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Massive five and a half month thread bump...

There are signs pointing to a sequel either being talked about or under development with rumors of a two player mode with one person controlling Mickey and the other controlling Oswald. Also in the rumor, is that it will be out for PS3, 360, and Wii although that could change with it being so far away and the newer generation of consoles in the coming years...

Myself, I still haven't finished the first one :(