PDA

View Full Version : Disgusted with DVC reservation availability on DCL

princessjojo
08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
So we have, due to economy, postponed our Disney vacations for the last 2 years. Oh well, it was in our family’s best interest for the moment. Times have changed and we’re in the process of planning our next vacation and decided to do a Disney Cruise for NEXT year, just 4 days under 1 year away and use our points to offset the cost. Well, I call today to book the cruise, 5 day Bahamas cruise and there are NO ROOMS AVAILABLE. :huh: That is for DVC members using points there are no rooms available. ONE YEAR OUT!!! So now I have become so frustrated. All she could say is “can I talk you into using your points elsewhere or at another time?” NO you cannot talk me into anything. She then said I could use my points in 2012 at the same time, and “you have time to save and plan for a better vacation with us.”:rotfl: Really!! That is not how I would have put it to a customer. None the less, we won’t get our Disney Cruise this year, next year, or the following year for that matter.
Sorry, but thank you for letting me vent….

Goofeygal
08-20-2010, 02:17 PM
That is really unacceptable.

Joannelet
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
OMG this is awful!!

NewmanFamily6
08-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Were you limited to certain dates or was it every date that you tried? Just curious how booked up they are:confused:

DizneyRox
08-21-2010, 08:30 AM
You can always rent your points and use the proceeds towards a cash cruise. If you do the math, I bet you actually come out ahead in the deal.

Just a quick check and you didn't really specify the number of points, so I'm estimating... This year's August, 5 night Bahama cruise is 200+ points per person in the cheapest category. If you rented those at $11 a point, that's $2200.

Just checked and you can cruise on RCCL you can do a 7 night cruise for 1/3 that PER PERSON. They don't go Bahamas in August except for a 3-4 day which is like $400 per person. You can do a 7 night Southern Caribbean for like $600 PER PERSON. Actually, you can have your pick of destinations, including Alaska, Japan, the Mediterranean with two people and probably include airfare for the cash equivalent of one person on a 5 night Disney cruise using points.

Go figure...

DisneyWhirled
08-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, there was a major change in the way that DVC handles DCL ressies, which started on Friday.

Apparently, there is VERY limited availablility for DVC members to use points to cruise THROUGH Sept 2011. It appears that they have lowered the DVC inventory on DCl.

You can be asked to put on a call list, so that if availability opens up for the category you are looking for, they will call to ask if you want to book.

Also, if someone has booked a cash ressie with the intentions to convert to points, they may be out of luck, too. Even though, you have a stateroom # assigned, if DVC does not have availability in that category, you won't be able to convert.

Very sad to hear. We like the option of using our DVC points for cruising, too, so that we can switch up our vacations and venture away from WDW a few times. I don't have anyone to rent to or the time to find someone, so that isn't an option for us.

Sorry about your situation, but do call back and ask them about the call list!

diz_girl
08-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Apparently, there is VERY limited availablility for DVC members to use points to cruise THROUGH Sept 2011. It appears that they have lowered the DVC inventory on DCl.

Which seems to coincide with the sporadic free dining offers through Sep 2011. I guess that Disney is thinking that if they have to do free dining several times over the next year, then why should they have someone trade in points for a DCL room and then have to wind up putting the DVC room on a free dining offer or a deep discount.

tinkman
09-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I have one complaint about DVC and this is it! When you talk to all the representatives about DVC, all they say is how great it is to be able to book just about anywhere using the points for fabulous vacations....but they don't tell you that if you venture off WDW property, good luck getting a reservation. Heck, just getting something other than your home resort can be next to impossible. They say, "buy where you want to stay" and, we did. However, it is nice to change once in a while and after all, it's what they advertised you could do.

Ian
09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Gotta be honest ... I realize people rave about Disney cruises and I'm 100% certain that they're all that plus a bag of chips, but there is very little chance I'll ever blow that kind of money to cruise with them.

Their cruises tend to be about 40%-50% more expensive than other, comparable cruiselines and that added cost is near impossible to justify. We cruised Norwegian last year and I honestly can't imagine how Disney could improve on their amenities and services to the point that I'd be willing to pay double for it.

And as far as using points? Come on ... the point costs for cruises are absurd! 200 points per person for the worst room on the boat on a lousy five night cruise??? Are you serious?? You could stay in a 3 bedroom villa for a week in Disney World for that kinda dough!

Sorry ... won't do it. There's no one that does theme parks like Disney, so I'm willing to pay the premium for that experience but cruises? Uh no. No. WAY too many more appealing and affordable options to consider.

TheDuckRocks
09-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I agree, Ian. We have cruised Disney and it was wonderful. We have also cruised Norweigan and it was also wonderful. Got a bag of chips on DCL, had to order a bowl of chips from room service on NCL. Lots of great activites for kids on DCL, we are 2 senior citizens whose baby turned 40 this year. Cost of DCL 4 night cruise was $200 more than the higher grade cabin 10 night NCL cruise. I can't see anyway we will be cruising with Disney ever again, let alone using my valuable points for one.

Ian
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Lots of great activites for kids on DCL, we are 2 senior citizens whose baby turned 40 this year. Cost of DCL 4 night cruise was $200 more than the higher grade cabin 10 night NCL cruise. I can't see anyway we will be cruising with Disney ever again, let alone using my valuable points for one.I know the children's activities on DCL are supposed to be a big selling point, but for us it really isn't so much. When we're on vacation, 99% of the treat for us is that we're able to spend tons of time with my kids. We're not so keen on dropping them off at a kids' club or something and not seeing them for the rest of the day.

Not intended at all to be judgemental of those who do, mind you ... just our viewpoint.

When we cruised NCL we had, quite literally, the best cabin available on the ship ... a Garden Villa. It was huge ... 3 BR ... close to 2,000 sq. ft. Came with our own butler, concierge service, cabin steward, access to a suite-only restaurant, etc. This was a 7 night Mexican Riv cruise. Total price for 2 adults, 2 children? $4,900.

Now admittedly we got a great last minute deal on the room, but just to get a basic balcony room on DCL would have cost us almost three times that much.