PDA

View Full Version : Worst part of WDW = The Water

Mogie
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
You spend all day in the hot sun. Sweaty, smelling a little ripe. You get regular breaks by ducking into a nice Air Conditioned Ride. But all you really want is a nice cold drink without having to pay for a soft drink, or frozen lemonade. You've got your empty water bottle from the hotel, you go to a water fountain to fill it up. Put the bottle to your lips, take a long sip....and all you taste is rotten eggs and sulfur from the Florida ground water. Blech. I can never get used to the water, and it is honestly the only thing I look forward to when leaving. The restaurants seem to have filtered water for tap water at the tables, but the park water fountains do not. I wonder if a solution would be too costly...or if Disney is hoping families will spend few extra bucks in the park buying bottled water or sodas.

Mickey'sGirl
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Have you tried using some of those flavour packets for bottled water? It might do you whilst you are in the parks ....

DizneyRox
08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I've found all the water to be utterly objectionable at WDW, fountains, the fountain soda machines, and even the tap water. The colder it is, the less it stinks, but it still does.

I order cases of Dasani for the room and only drink that in WDW. Dasani does a better job of filtering the water in Florida.

Stu29573
08-20-2010, 12:18 PM
On the other hand, the high sulpher content may help keep chiggers off of you... OK, not a huge benefit, but its something...

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I couldn't agree more..the water is absolutely terrible. We will buy bottled water and use the propel or crystal light packets. I never drink from a bubbler (sorry Wisconsin lingo)...water fountain at WDW.

NewDVCowner
08-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I think I've seen the Crystal Light packets that have electrolites in them, so it can help balance out the lost of salt, too. I used the non-electrolite version when I just went to Disneyland. Their water isn't much better. :sick:

Gregandmel
08-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Absolutely agree 100%. We took our 2nd trip with our family back in April and had groceries delivered from Garden Grocer - we had 2 - 24 packs of Dasani Water and since you can take them into the park, each person came with 2 or 3 in their backpacks each day. Even with the flavor packets, they can't hide that disgusting taste!!! :ack:

Momto3littlemice
08-20-2010, 03:01 PM
DH and I got sick on the water there 3 years ago (it was so hot we drank way too much from the fountain). Now we just buy gallon jugs of water when we get down there at the grocery and fill our large water bottles before we enter the park. If we run out we buy bottled water... better than getting sick any day...

ANG
08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Hmm I've never tried it! haha So my next trip I will have to just to see if it's as horrible as everyone says.

skibunny75
08-20-2010, 04:03 PM
I haven't had a problem with the water at Epcot, AK or HS. It's the water at MK that I can't drink and the only park that we buy bottled water in.

lindique
08-20-2010, 06:17 PM
There are a few companies out there that sell water bottles with small filters attached to the cap. They really work well and get rid of the sulphur taste and smell. I've been using them for years and have saved a small fortune on bottled.

debandbub
08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
We just purchased the filtered water bottles, and I was wondering if they reallly would take care of that sulfur smell- thanks, Lindique- good to know that they will for our trip in just 54 short days! :D

DisneyorBust
08-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Brita makes a water bottle with a replaceable filter, we have used these for a number of trips to the "World" and it makes the water taste great. Each filter is good for multiple fill ups, we normally use just one per bottle per week long trip. We have found it necessary to buy the replacement filters thru E-bay. You can also check with outdoor supply stores, (hiking/camping etc) they normally carry water bottle options too.
Hope this helps!

divinedi
08-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I have one of the Brita single use filtered water bottles, and I agree with the other posters, it works great!!! I highly recommend it!

Briansmom
08-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Hmm I've never tried it! haha So my next trip I will have to just to see if it's as horrible as everyone says.

If you have drunk tea or soda in the parks (ESPECIALLY MK), then you have experienced this water.....it is plain NASTY! :ack:

MouseHead
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
I live in Florida & think our local water is pretty :ack: but nothing is as :ack: as the Disney *local water*::skull::I can't even brush my teeth with it...makes me :ill:....I bring extra water just to brush my teeth:goof:

mrmcgiv
08-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I agree even the fountain drinks smell and taste of it - not sure if it is the ice or the drink itself.

DizneyRox
08-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Soda fountain machines normally use tap water. A CO2 tank is used to carbonate the water. Ice machines also use tap water for the most part. This is why I buy bottled water/soda in WDW.

The water in Florida is so bad, I can even smell the remnants on clean dishes/plates from being washed in the dishwasher.

Plex
08-21-2010, 05:27 PM
You would think that with all of the resources WDW has they would have some sort of water treatment plant to make it less nasty!

Briansmom
08-21-2010, 09:44 PM
You would think that with all of the resources WDW has they would have some sort of water treatment plant to make it less nasty!

AMEN, BROTHER!! :exactly:

PETE FROM NYC
08-21-2010, 09:55 PM
If the Disney Company gave us decent water for free, they would not sell ,at inflated prices, all the thousands of bottled water daily and cut out some of their profit.
Disney wants to be thought of as a green company, but they help generate thousands of empty plastic bottles each and every day.
BTW, the only theme park with chilled fountains last September, was EPCOT.

magicofdisney
08-22-2010, 08:56 AM
As a native Floridian, I have to take issue with this thread. ;)

Not ALL Florida waters stinks, but Disney has a little something "special" about theirs.

If cooler water allows you to chug it down, you can always get a free cup of ice water at any place that sells drinks in a cup (i.e. counter service and side carts).

Darbylew
08-22-2010, 10:10 AM
We take bottled water to WDW so I have never
tasted the water there. I have had other drinks
there, sodas and the smoothies. I have found
nothing wrong with the sodas or smoothies. I
live in Florida and the water taste ok to me but
like I said I have never tasted the water at
Disney. I live up in the panhandle of Florida.

brownie
08-22-2010, 10:11 AM
It's been a while since we've been there, but I don't remember ever having a problem with how the water tastes. One of our Scout camps has a lot of sulfur in the water, so I think I'd remember if I had tasted something similar at Walt Disney World; it definitely leaves an impression.

klb
08-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Another vote for Crystal Light packets. I don't go anywhere without them.

bjb1124
08-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Ever since our first trip there, I couldn't understand why their fountain drinks tasted so bad. I am one of those people who buy location doo dads, so would buy the hotel refillable. After one drink blech. I tried on a couple more trips and then stopped.

About 10 years ago I had it explained to me about the sulphur in the water. Now, it's Diet Coke and bottled water cases delivered from grocery for our family.

Going to try the filtered water bottle. It'll be a lot less expensive!

BellesRose
08-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I live in Florida and I can vouch for the taste of the water. I noticed our water smelled extra bad this morning while brushing my teeth :ack:

The problem is, I don't drink Dasani! I can't stand the taste and it hurts my stomach. I also don't drink soda if I can help it. I usually don't drink anything in the parks unless I need to. If I'm not in one of the parks, I drink my Zephyrhills.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-26-2010, 09:15 PM
I haven't had a problem with the water at Epcot, AK or HS. It's the water at MK that I can't drink and the only park that we buy bottled water in.

We have found that, too. MK seems to have the most disgusting water . . :ack:
The other parks don't bug me. We have also found that the drier the spring has been the worse the water is.

dnickels
08-27-2010, 12:40 AM
In Florida for about 8 months a year, Michigan for a month a year and Montana the other 3 months. Always drink water straight out of the tap or fountain, no filters, never drink bottled water and you know what?

They all taste like water to me. Sometimes it's good to not be picky. :thumbsup: (or good to be less discerning for those who don't fancy themselves picky :thedolls:)

Mary Poppins fan
08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
We always bring a Brita water pitcher!

magicofdisney
08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
In Florida for about 8 months a year, Michigan for a month a year and Montana the other 3 months. Always drink water straight out of the tap or fountain, no filters, never drink bottled water and you know what?

They all taste like water to me. Sometimes it's good to not be picky. :thumbsup: (or good to be less discerning for those who don't fancy themselves picky :thedolls:)
We're FL residents but my husband travels to NJ often. He's not fond of their water. I think it just depends on what you're used to and how accommodating your pallet is. :)

#1donaldfan
08-27-2010, 12:23 PM
I couldn't agree more..the water is absolutely terrible. We will buy bottled water and use the propel or crystal light packets. I never drink from a bubbler (sorry Wisconsin lingo)...water fountain at WDW.

I haven't head them called bubblers since I was in the military !! LONG TIME AGO !!:mickey:

Renfairwedding
08-27-2010, 01:44 PM
The taste of the water just reminds me I AM AT DISNEY!!!! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
08-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry people............I have never noticed. I live in SW Florida though so maybe I am just used to the disgusting H2O!!:mickey:

baldburke
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
My wife said she loves the smell of Disney water. I must not have a very good nose because i can't distinguish it.

Daisy'sMom
08-28-2010, 09:42 AM
I love our water. Of course I always put a little bit of lemon or lemon juice in with the ice cubes. I don't see much of a difference.
I also don't buy bottled water unless I am desperate. After watching a special about how and where they get bottled water, I decided not to waste my money.:mickey:

iloveokw
08-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Wow, we think it is much better than it was 10 years ago....at least in our room at OKW. I guess that if I am thirsty enough I don't mind.

DisneyMelissa
08-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I also bring either bottled water or try to use crystal light packs. I really don't like drinking from the bubblers at WDW unless I really have to!

Next time, I will have to try the water bottle with a filter!

BigRedDad
08-30-2010, 07:30 AM
For starters, I would never drink out of a water fountain at WDW. The reason is the germs, bacteria, diseases, viruses, plagues that live on them from all the grubby people touching them. Even with our technology and knowledge today, many people still do not wash after the bathroom. Many of those same people go to the water fountain once they walk out.

The water definitely has the sulfuric smell and taste. Disney offers free water and ice from any of its counter service restaurants that is filtered. You also have the option of purchasing a $2 bottle of Disani. If you are like my area, there is a Disani plant up the street that uses city water. They do nothing to it other than fill the bottles. Nice way for many companies to make a huge profit.

Save yourself the hassle and get cups of water at the counter service restaurants. If that still has a taste, get the single packet drink mixes.

dnickels
08-30-2010, 09:34 AM
For starters, I would never drink out of a water fountain at WDW. The reason is the germs, bacteria, diseases, viruses, plagues that live on them from all the grubby people touching them.

The plague now too!?!?! Bubonic or other? :eek:

(I'm kidding of course) I drink out of the fountains all the time, both at Disney and in other public places. I drink out of the same communion cup at church that dozens or hundreds of people put their lips on. I've maybe caught two colds total in the last five years and they've both been mild ones. I know that when we get sick we all become forensic epidemiologists -we know exactly where we caught that cold/virus and who left it there- but the fact is if public drinking fountains were spreading disease and plagues!!! we simply wouldn't have them.

Sure there are germs and bacteria on the fountains. Just like there are on the benches, the ride vehicles, the door knobs, the ground, the drink cups, the silverware, the bathroom sink, the shower stall..... and on and on and on. Those things are everywhere, even those clorox wipes only kill 99.9% of germs. That probably means your average surface (countertop / sink / doorknob) will still have millions (as opposed to billions) of germs on it even after being wiped down.

No reason to go starting rumors about plagues and disease coming from the Disney water fountains. :thumbsup:

BrownEyedGrrl
08-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I've honestly never noticed anything strange or gross with the water. :shrug: But, since my boys always get sick within the first day or two of our vacations, I thought I'd check into it. I can see how a bad smell might make someone grossed out, but apparently, it can't make you sick. In fact, quite the contrary. This is what I found:

"Sulfur is a mineral that disinfects the blood, helps us resist bacteria, aids in oxidation reactions, stimulates bile secretion, protects against toxic substances, slows the aging process, protects against harmful effects of radiation and pollution, and aids in the synthesis of collagen which gives our skin its structural integrity."

So, I can go back to assuming that my boys get sick from the traveling and eating "vacation foods", and keep on chugging the free water! ;)

NewDVCowner
08-30-2010, 06:01 PM
"Sulfur is a mineral that disinfects the blood, helps us resist bacteria, aids in oxidation reactions, stimulates bile secretion, protects against toxic substances, slows the aging process, protects against harmful effects of radiation and pollution, and aids in the synthesis of collagen which gives our skin its structural integrity."

Hmm. I like the 'slows the aging process' part. :blush: