PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Aps?

JanetMegan
08-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed on this board numerous times-but the boards won't let me search "aps"-the word is too short ha ha! So I am finally in the age of the iphone. What are your favorite aps? I'm a big foodie so maybe some foodie aps, I like puzzle type games and country music...and reality tv and I'm also a news junkie...

DizneyRox
08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Orb - For streaming content(movies, audio, pictures AND documents) from my home PCs to me on the road/work.

Pocket Tunes - For Internet radio (including Sirius -subscrition required) although I just hooked Sirius into Orb, so I probably don't need this anymore.

Prowl - For push notifications from my home PC. Alerts me to completed tasks, etc, as well as getting free texting working with Google Voice, etc).

Cydia - Alternative app store which I have found invaluable (jailbreak required)

Photoshop Express - Tweak the pictures taken from the iPhone prior to sending I also use ColorSplash and PhotoCaps and Retouch at time for some added fun.

I've also found Navigon to be worth the price, it's a fantastic navigation app, I like it better than my car navigation systems.

Don't forget Google Search App as well, being able to speak your search request is great!

Donald
08-20-2010, 10:27 AM
I love shopping for apps! I have the food network app: it has the nightime shows featured. Tyler Florence and Rachel Ray have apps also.

My favorite app is skee ball. I am addicted!

There is a boatload of Disney apps-some are good, some not so. The best way to find out about an app is to read the reviews--the stars say it all!

DisneyDog
08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I like the individual apps for my favorite radio stations, as well as the AOL radio app. It's fun to be able to go on vacation and still listen to your favorite station from home, as well as find stations in other parts of the country/world to listen to at home. In addition, the AOL radio app has kids music and comedy stations. Lots of fun.

Melanie
08-23-2010, 11:42 AM
My favorite app......

The Weather Channel. :blush:

Other favs - ESPN ScoreCenter, and various games (Jumbline, Toy Story Mania, Farkle).

I also use the Google and Wikipedia ones a lot, and Dragon Dictation is cool as well.

And my bank one (USAA) is invaluable. Among other things, it has mobile deposit where you take a pic (front and back) of a check and it's instantly deposited.

citizensnoopy
08-23-2010, 11:31 PM
RedLaser (you can scan barcodes at stores to see if an item is significantly cheaper somewhere else near you or online)

Sparkpeople (you can track exercise and calories consumed each day)

SoundHound (sing or hum a song to identify what it is --- you can also use it to figure out what song you're listening to on the radio, etc.)

Yelp (just like the website --- look at reviews of restaurants near you)

Games: Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Doodle Jump, Scrabble

JanetMegan
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much-this is just what I needed so far. I have put Weather Channel on there as well as the above mentioned Angry Birds ha ha. I'm headed out of town later this week so I want to add a few more before I go.

PirateLover
09-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Had to bump this thread up because I just got an iPhone! I downloaded the free Toy Storia Mania minute game. Is the main game worth it?
I also got Soundhound (amazes me), Angry Birds free demo and the Netflix app. I've been sticking to free so far because I'm a bit gun shy! Also I feel like once I start spending money I may not stop. Anybody else find more cool apps over the past few weeks??

Ian
09-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Can't believe no one mentioned Shazam ... that's like my favorite app!

DizneyRox
09-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Can't believe no one mentioned Shazam ... that's like my favorite app!
Do you really use it often? I have it, it's great, but rarely use it. I think I've got like maybe 5 or searches in, last one was at a local fair last year.

Melanie
09-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Had to bump this thread up because I just got an iPhone! I downloaded the free Toy Storia Mania minute game. Is the main game worth it?

Maryanne, I play it A LOT, mainly when I'm waiting at my kids' appointments, ball practices, etc. But you may not have free time like I do. ;)

Ian
09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Do you really use it often? I have it, it's great, but rarely use it. I think I've got like maybe 5 or searches in, last one was at a local fair last year.Oh heck yeah ... I use it a couple times a week, at least.

And let me tell you, iTunes profits from it because like as not I end up downloading whatever tune I just tagged from the store.

PirateLover
09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Just watched a demo of the complete Toy Story Mania game- it's totally different than the minute game demo I played and looks awesome! I have to get allergy shots every week and the wait is sometimes long so I can definitely see myself playing it then.

As far as Shazam, it seems to be a similar app to SoundHound which was mentioned earlier in the thread.

Ian
09-11-2010, 03:41 PM
As far as Shazam, it seems to be a similar app to SoundHound which was mentioned earlier in the thread.No, not really ... SoundHound is kinda clever, but it doesn't work all that well. With SoundHound you have to hum or whistle the tune into your phone and then it tries to guess what you whistled. The hit rate is about 25%, tops.

Shazam, on the other hand, does it with live music and gets it right 100% of the time if it can hear the song well enough. It's awesome for all those times you hear a song on the radio and go, "Who is this??"

magicofdisney
09-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Dictionary.com has a free app. It's invaluable for school studies.

Bejeweled, just like the PC version. I think I paid $2.99 on sale.

Peggle-kind of like pin ball but way more fun. I paid $4.99.

There are several free solitaire and sudoku games.

I love hidden treasure games and I've found some by a company, Big Fish, that I think does it the right way. My favorite is Hidden Amazon (which is FANTASTIC for the iPad) but they have several other versions for the iPhone/iPod.

For Disney I have WDW Dining and WDW Maps. I also have an app for MouseWorld Radio and Disney has their own app that give access to various Disney merchandise, info and videos.

If you're into reading on the small screen, there are lots of apps such as Kindle for iPhone, and iBooks.

The list is endless and the store grows daily.

Ian
09-11-2010, 04:08 PM
I bought this "All-In-1 Gamebox" app by a company called Trinity games. It's like 35 different games all in one for 99 cents.

Admittedly, well over half of the games are complete junk, but there are about a half dozen that are pretty fun (best is Ancient War) and it's well worth a buck.

citizensnoopy
09-11-2010, 04:21 PM
No, not really ... SoundHound is kinda clever, but it doesn't work all that well. With SoundHound you have to hum or whistle the tune into your phone and then it tries to guess what you whistled. The hit rate is about 25%, tops.

I use SoundHound more for ambient music (usually when I hear a song that I like in a store or when I'm listening to the radio) than I do for humming/singing, so in that sense it functions similarly to Shazam. When I do sing into it, the hit rate is about 80-90%. I have perfect pitch, so I've also played with singing things in a different key than the original song or at a different tempo, and it's still accurate. :thumbsup:

citizensnoopy
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Other apps that I've recently downloaded:

Jumbline: it's very similar to the game TextTwist and is very addicting! 99 cents

Wikipedia

ESPN ScoreCenter: gotta keep up with sports while I'm at work ;)

Settlers of Catan: not sure if anyone here has ever played the board game (which is one of my favorites) --- the app is excellent. It was $3.99 or $4.99

Photobucket: easy way to upload photos from your iPhone onto the internet remotely without going through the hassle of syncing with your computer. Free.

Amazon (as if I need more incentive to shop online)

PirateLover
09-11-2010, 06:08 PM
I thought SoundHound could be used for radio songs as well. I remember I was chaperoning a school dance and one of the other teachers used it to ID a song there.

Mel- I got the TSM app and am already totally addicted. I love that the games and music mimic the ride. It has me jonesing something fierce for WDW!

Melanie
09-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Mel- I got the TSM app and am already totally addicted. I love that the games and music mimic the ride. It has me jonesing something fierce for WDW!

:thumbsup:

I think it's been totally worth the $$$.

Melanie
09-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Janet, you definitely need to get the Yahoo! Fantasy Football one as well. :thumbsup:

And I love DTunes for Disney music. :mickey:

darthmacho
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
My favorite Apps are WDW Wait Times and WDW Dining, even though the menus on the latter are outdated, and the accuracy of the former is always in question...lol.

My favorite game, by far is Zombie Farm. I can't stop playing this absurd game! :doh:

magicofdisney
09-15-2010, 01:03 PM
My favorite Apps are WDW Wait Times and WDW Dining, even though the menus on the latter are outdated, and the accuracy of the former is always in question...lol.

My favorite game, by far is Zombie Farm. I can't stop playing this absurd game! :doh:
If you have the same WDW Dining app I have then I must say their app is far more updated than what you'll find here on Intercot. I'm, by no means, trying to insult the powers that be around here because I realize how difficult it must be to stay on top of that information. But my WDW Dining app gets updates fairly regularly. Plus I can add my ADR info to it. :mickey:

darthmacho
09-15-2010, 05:12 PM
If you have the same WDW Dining app I have then I must say their app is far more updated than what you'll find here on Intercot. I'm, by no means, trying to insult the powers that be around here because I realize how difficult it must be to stay on top of that information. But my WDW Dining app gets updates fairly regularly. Plus I can add my ADR info to it. :mickey:

Perhaps you have the pay version? I have the free version, and their menus did not match while I was there in August. There was some accuracy, but many discrepancies. :scratch:

Dixie Springs
09-25-2010, 01:02 PM
Ditto on Ian's 35-game app. Also like 'Disney Movies' (just trailers, but free), facebook, and Netflix.

Dopey's Girl
09-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I love my iPhone. For a long time I just had a pay as you go phone, and now I have no clue how I lived without this little gadget! My current favorites are:

AllRecipes: It is kinda like the website, except there is a spinner. Say I know that I have chicken at home, I hold chicken, press the spin button, and it gives me all kinds of different recipes. It's great!

Collapse Free: It's similar to Tetris, but you have to explode colored lines, rather than complete them.

MLB at bat: I'm a baseball junkie, so this is how I keep an eye on my Beloved MN Twins.

Bubbles lab: Another game, you have to shoot colored bubbles at one another. Hard to explain, but so much fun!

MSNBC: Good news app.