PDA

View Full Version : *Snack Around the World Showcase

DisneyaHolic
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I am planning to drink around the world showcase during my upcoming December trip. I ordered the deluxe guide with the Drink Around the World Showcase passports that I ordered, which comes with a beverage guide for each country, but I am wondering about snack options.

It has been suggested that I eat regularly throughout my pub crawl, so I thought I would come to the experts for suggestions of the best foods to snack on while I am indulging in adult beverages. I really don't want to have to sit down, so am wondering about handy items to walk with.

Thanks for your ideas!

artyboy
08-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Here's my suggestions!

Mexico:

Nachos if having beer/a churro if having margaritas

Norway

They have these awesome open-faced sandwiches with egg and smoked salmon in the bakery...really good!

China

Eggroll...and they're good!

Germany

Hot pretzel from the wagon...they taste like they've been dipped in butter!

Italy

Get the Rose Regale with some dark chocolate in the wine shop...amazing combination!

American Adventure

Sorry...nothing to snack on in this area but a turkey leg...or a funnel cake...but with a beer???

Japan

I'm pretty certain that you can get some spring rolls or sushi at the Yakatori house...but I like to buy odd snacks from Japan in the food section of the department store.

Morocco

I'd get some hummus with pita or ask if they will sell you a side of marinated olives...I asked, they did.

France

Share a little baguette sandwich, or a croissant.

UK

You gotta try the Scotch Eggs at the pub...they sound weird, but they are delicious!

Canada

Nothing that I recall that I couldn't get anywhere else.

Hope this helps...I'm curious what other folks will post!

Alaska Disney Fan
08-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm going during food and wine festival (3rd time at F&W) and I usually do the Drink/snack around the world. During F&W you can use snack credits off the dining plan to buy samples at all the booths from the different countries of the world. It's a great way to "taste the world". There are a lot of different choices during this time but Artyboy has some great suggestions for your visit. :beer:

elephant rider
08-19-2010, 08:30 PM
How about a beavertail in Canada?

faline
08-19-2010, 08:39 PM
How about a beavertail in Canada?

I don't think they've had those for quite some time now.

elephant rider
08-19-2010, 10:18 PM
I don't think they've had those for quite some time now.

That stinks!! Those were quite good.

2MuchWDFun
08-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Have a Molson in Canada (can't think of anything special to eat either) and then go to the Pub in the UK (or vice-versa depending on which way around the world you are traveling) you can get an order of fish and chips to share with your group. They taste great with any beer you decide to enjoy. You do not need to go into the pub to get the fish n chips or beer, there are outdoor kiosks.

While in Japan stop into the Yakitori house. I'm wondering if you can order just the yakitori (meat on a stick) instead of having to get the sides, although the tempura veggies are good finger foods to snack on; you can also get the sushi Tokyo roll. That would be easy to carry.
All of these will complement a Kirin beer very nicely.

In Mexico check out the food cart out front of the pavilion. It is called Taqueria Del Lago and you can get taquitos and quesadillas. Goes perfectly with a Dos Equis or Margarita.
The cantina is currently being refurbished, but should be open in the fall.

I'm looking forward to reading other suggestions. We will definitely be trying the Scotch Eggs in December.

DisneyaHolic
08-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Here's my suggestions!

Mexico:

Nachos if having beer/a churro if having margaritas

Norway

They have these awesome open-faced sandwiches with egg and smoked salmon in the bakery...really good!

China

Eggroll...and they're good!

Germany

Hot pretzel from the wagon...they taste like they've been dipped in butter!

Italy

Get the Rose Regale with some dark chocolate in the wine shop...amazing combination!

American Adventure

Sorry...nothing to snack on in this area but a turkey leg...or a funnel cake...but with a beer???

Japan

I'm pretty certain that you can get some spring rolls or sushi at the Yakatori house...but I like to buy odd snacks from Japan in the food section of the department store.

Morocco

I'd get some hummus with pita or ask if they will sell you a side of marinated olives...I asked, they did.

France

Share a little baguette sandwich, or a croissant.

UK

You gotta try the Scotch Eggs at the pub...they sound weird, but they are delicious!

Canada

Nothing that I recall that I couldn't get anywhere else.

Hope this helps...I'm curious what other folks will post!

What is a Scotch Egg??????

SallyP
08-28-2010, 07:55 AM
What is a Scotch Egg??????

It's a hard boiled egg (with the shell off) wrapped in sausage and some bread crumbs to keep it together, then deep fried ...

In Germany, you can also get a bratswurst at the stand right inside the pavilion.
France in the Boulangerie/Patiserie get the cheese plate, it comes with the baguette.

artyboy
08-28-2010, 06:13 PM
The Scotch Eggs sound really weird...but, man, they are delicious!!!

McLiberal8
08-28-2010, 06:44 PM
My favorites (I am a vegetarian, so they are limited)

Norway: The almond kringle is to die for.

Germany: I second the pretzel!

Japan: Kaki Gori - hands down.

France: The cheese plate at Boulangeire Pattaserie is a steal, and you get a fresh baguette with it!

UK: Just a side of chips with vinegar. That's all I need..

elephant rider
08-28-2010, 06:59 PM
It's a hard boiled egg (with the shell off) wrapped in sausage and some bread crumbs to keep it together, then deep fried ...

I think I'm putting this on my list for our upcoming trip. Anything including the words SAUSAGE and DEEP FRIED has to be good. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-28-2010, 07:17 PM
Be careful what you eat while drinking around the world. If you drink TOO much, what you eat will come back up. Anything with EGG...ugh! :ack: Keep that in mind.

I'd start over in Canada, and stop by Refreshment Port for a cheese empanada to start off.

Get a snack in every third or fourth country.

Egg rolls in China are a favorite.

Treats from the bakery in France or Norway are a good sweet treat.

Pretzels or a bratwurst in Germany will be a good bet.

Finish up with some tacos from the outdoor stand in Mexico. :thumbsup:

disneymom2000
09-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I love the bakery in Norway. Not sure how baked goods are with beer but they are easy to carry around. You can't go wrong in Germany. Everything goes with beer.:blush:

Mommy2boys
09-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I love the school bread in Norway

DisneyaHolic
09-23-2010, 04:27 PM
These ideas are so great! To get through all the suggestions, I will have to Drink Around the World Showcase twice!!

phlo8810
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
We will be there during f&w and will be snacking while drinking around the world. Also the monorail drinking is something we've attempted before but we can never get out of the Polynesian. I think this time we will end there. We have also tried to get a drink at each resort but not in the same day.

jenperich
09-24-2010, 08:46 AM
And maybe do a Monorail Drink-A-Thon too!

Do you have passports for that too? :-) I definitely plan on doing that during this trip. Great idea Ron!

DisneyaHolic
09-25-2010, 03:40 PM
The Monorail Drink-a-Thon passports look awesome too! Thanks for the suggestion - I ordered those too! This is shaping up to be a great trip!!