PDA

View Full Version : best book

Suz36
08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
What's the best book you've read recently? I read "Eat, Pray, Love" and really enjoyed it. It's the first grown-up book I've read in a while (I like to read along with my kids so I can talk with them about their books), and it was a good springboard to get me back into my own reading.

Mickey'sGirl
08-19-2010, 07:56 AM
The best book I've ever read is "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry.

My favourite book is "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving.

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Band of Brothers. I have read the book three different times, and watch the series whenever it is on tv. One of the few series that actually did the book justice.

Evil Genius
08-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchit

Scar
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
The Bible.

TheVBs
08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchit

This is one of my favorites! :thumbsup: Actually, any of Neil Gaiman's or Terry Pratchett's books are excellent. Same with Jasper Fforde and Christopher Moore.

I wasn't at all a fan of Eat, Pray, Love. But, along more conventional lines than the authors above, I just read Shutter Island and thought it was great.

Evil Genius
08-19-2010, 03:07 PM
This is one of my favorites! :thumbsup: Actually, any of Neil Gaiman's or Terry Pratchett's books are excellent. Same with Jasper Fforde and Christopher Moore.

I wasn't at all a fan of Eat, Pray, Love. But, along more conventional lines than the authors above, I just read Shutter Island and thought it was great.

Love Jasper Fforde's work! I'm reading Shades of Grey right now and while it's probably the trippiest thing he's written...I'm enjoying it.

Love the Discworld series as well. Prattchit has never failed me as an author.

Gaiman's had some difficult ones to get through though...Stardust anyone?

brownie
08-19-2010, 05:00 PM
My favorite would have to be the Belgariad by David Eddings, which is actually 5 books. Very tough question, since I have a lot of favorite books.

TheVBs
08-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Love Jasper Fforde's work! I'm reading Shades of Grey right now and while it's probably the trippiest thing he's written...I'm enjoying it.

Love the Discworld series as well. Prattchit has never failed me as an author.

Gaiman's had some difficult ones to get through though...Stardust anyone?

Loved Shades of Grey! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get into it, that it would just be to weird to wrap my head around. But once again, he did an amazing job of drawing you into the story! I'm really looking forward to the sequels. He's got two more books coming out in the next few months. One is a Thursday Next book and the other is called The Last Dragonslayer. Unfortunately, it looks like the last one isn't going to be available in the U.S. :(

I liked Stardust, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I had a hard time getting into American Gods.

The Discworld series is one of my all time favorites! :) Very few books make me laugh out loud, and these do.

Evil Genius
08-20-2010, 10:32 AM
Loved Shades of Grey! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get into it, that it would just be to weird to wrap my head around. But once again, he did an amazing job of drawing you into the story! I'm really looking forward to the sequels. He's got two more books coming out in the next few months. One is a Thursday Next book and the other is called The Last Dragonslayer. Unfortunately, it looks like the last one isn't going to be available in the U.S. :(

I liked Stardust, but it wasn't one of my favorites. I had a hard time getting into American Gods.

The Discworld series is one of my all time favorites! :) Very few books make me laugh out loud, and these do.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to get the book stateside...that's what the interwebs are for!

TheVBs
08-20-2010, 06:16 PM
True! I'm thinking one way or another, I'll get my hands on that book. If I can't order it online, I have a friend who's willing to pick one up and send it to me. :cloud9:

McLiberal8
08-20-2010, 06:52 PM
I am currently reading Pandora's Seed: The Unforeseen Cost of Civilization. I LOVE it - it is the scientific and ethical breakdown of how going from hunter/gatherers to agriculturally centered communities was detrimental to our species, how it changed our DNA, and what we can do for the future.

pink
08-20-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm glad to hear that someone like the book Eat, Pray, Love. I can't wait to read it! Right now I am in the middle of the Dragon Tattoo triology and I am now currently reading The Girl Who Played with Fire. :mickey:

Tick-Tock
08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I just read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's a really interesting account of the German occupation of the Channel Islands in World War II, written as a series of letters between a London writer and the residents of Guernsey.

Mickey'sGirl
08-22-2010, 12:39 AM
I just read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's a really interesting account of the German occupation of the Channel Islands in World War II, written as a series of letters between a London writer and the residents of Guernsey.
I loved loved loved this book! I'm a huge fan of epistolory literature in general .. but this one gave such great insight!

castlegirl
08-22-2010, 12:52 AM
My summer reading included:

The Help

House Rules

Twilight Saga (all 4)

I liked them all :)

Kenny1113
08-22-2010, 08:35 AM
Just finished Girl with the Dragon tattoo. It is VERY slow to start, but worth it! :thumbsup:

Tick-Tock
08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I loved loved loved this book! I'm a huge fan of epistolory literature in general .. but this one gave such great insight!

I started reading it because I really enjoyed 88 Charing Cross Road (which was also made into a movie). Another one in this style that I picked up is Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger.

Tick-Tock
08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
88 Charing Cross Road

Oops, I meant 84 Charing Cross Road!

DisneyDog
08-23-2010, 10:24 AM
The Help! It was amazing. I will definitely read that one again in the future.

If you haven't read Year of Wonders, I definitely recommend that. It's by Geraldine Brooks. The March, by the same author, is also very good, especially if you are a fan of Little Women. It's the backstory of the parents.