PDA

View Full Version : RIP, At the Movies

mjm
08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Watched the last episode of "At the Movies" Sunday, 8/15. The retrospective starting with Siskel & Ebert was nice. I know there's plenty of Internet sites to get reviews from. But I loved having two people there in front of you debating the merits of a movie, with clips!

It's too bad the new producer for the show from Buena Vista television screwed up the concept back in 2008 by getting rid of the balcony seating and hiring Ben Lyons of E! Entertainment Television, although his partner, Ben Mankiewicz of Turner Classic Movies, knew his stuff. At lease Buena Vista had enough sense to put A. O. Scott of the New York Times and Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune in the seats in 2009.

But of course now Buena Vista doesn't care about letting the show get it's audience back after screwing it up originally.

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure it was ever the same without Siskel or Ebert anyway, or that it could have been. The internet is where most people go for reviews now. It's an unfortunate sign of the times, and the loss of the original hosts.

PirateLover
08-17-2010, 06:16 PM
I haven't watched it in a year at least. I try to catch Rotten Tomatoes on Current TV. It has a youthful, fun energy to it.

Ian
08-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I mean ... that show was about Siskel and Ebert. Once they were gone, I had zero interest in ever watching it again.

Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. I used to love it back in the day, though. Those two had such great chemistry.

mjm
08-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah, when Siskel died it really changed the show, but I still liked the format. When you have two good people like Scott and Philips the show could still click on all cylinders.

I think the format can still work given the right two people. It would work great as a youtube posting or something like that.

Ebert posted on his site that he and his wife have been in negotiations for a show and indicates the talks are going well. Apparently, they even have the hosts picked out.

I know a lot of, if not most, people check their favorite web site, and I still check Ebert's site for reviews, but there's still something about a lively debate between two people.

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I do love watching a good debate.