PDA

View Full Version : SBETigg's "Solo" Conference Stay Days five and six

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Saturday July 31

More conference, but the evening is for the MK.
My friends and I head over. But once we get to the MK, we decide we're all hungry, craving sushi, and opt for a change of plans. I'm not sure about the sushi at the Noodlestation (not my favorite place) so we head for the Polynesian. My first monorail ride of the trip!

We check at Kona Cafe, but the wait is long. There are seats available at the Kona Cafe Sushi Bar, and that's what we're after anyway. While waiting for our sushi (volcano roll for me), we decide to skip the Magic Kingdom and do a monorail pub crawl, a drink at every resort. At the Polynesian, I get a Lapu Lapu. We sip slowly, get our sushi, and laugh and talk. The volcano roll, delicious, with a creamy spicy sauce. We tell the server, no dessert, thanks. We have other pubs to visit!

Next stop, the boat launch to the Grand Floridian. This involves no wait, as the boat is at the dock, and a slight detour to the Magic Kingdom first before we can head back to the Grand Floridian. But it's beautiful on the lagoon at night, lights twinkling, and a wonderful ride.

When we arrive, I show off the Grand Floridian as if I am showing off my home, and it feels like it. And my friends are impressed. They seem to love it as much as I do. I wish I could show them to a room, and open all the shops, but I'm afraid Disney does not consider the Grand Floridian to be my home quite as much as I do. We head to Mizner's Lounge, where we all order the Magic Glow Cocktail (I don't remember the official name, but the drinks are pretty!). We toast each other, yay us! And we keep our souvenir glowing "ice" cubes. You never know when they'll come in handy. Then back to the monorail, headed for the Contemporary Resort.

At the Contemporary, we know we want to go to the California Grill, but the attendant is not at the desk. We walk around a bit, then go up anyway. The woman at the desk tells us that we can go on to a table in the bar. We're all pleased with the view. But the server eventually comes over and tells us last call already happened. We're too late. But if we hurry, we can probably still get service at The Wave. Off we go!

After some poking around in the Contemporary Resort, we find The Wave. The bartender is friendly and welcoming. We order drinks (mine, the Ecotini, comes with a bracelet, cool!). What a great night!

Sunday August 1
7:00 a.m. The plan is to shower, dress, finish packing, check out, and bring our bags down to bell services for the day while we (Julie and I) hit the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.

8:00 a.m. Julie has never been to the Magic Kingdom, and I know she's going to love it. I hope she does. What if she doesn't? The bus is on time and we arrive for opening ceremonies. No doubt-- she loves it! We see Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, and other characters at the park opening, and we're ready to hit some rides.

Lines are low and crowds are almost non-existent. What a beautiful morning! I take Julie on a little tour, stopping for rides along the way. The theming and details have won her over, but wait until she gets on a ride. We start with Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise, laugh at the corny jokes, and then on to Pirates of the Caribbean, and a surprise-- "no roller coasters" Julie thinks she can handle Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

In fact, she loves it and wants to ride again! But so much to do, so little time. We're off to the Haunted Mansion. A walk through Fantasyland. I convince her to try Space Mountain. Fun, but not on her list of things to do again. It's getting late and we opt to head for Epcot for the rest of the day.

11:00 a.m. Julie has never ridden the monorail, so we catch the resort monorail to the Transportation & Ticket Center and then the Epcot monorail. We're in the park by 11:30, in time for lunch. We're hungry! We meander through Future World and catch the boat across the lagoon to Morocco, close to our destination, France! Lunch in France. We add our names to the list of walk-ins at Chefs de France and shop around France until noon. I buy a beret and French milled soaps for my daughter, extra birthday treats, and we're finally ready to wait to be seated.

Julie has the crepe basquaise, a large crepe filled with smoked chicken. peppers, onions, and a cheese, with a nice French white. I opt for the plat de cote de boeuf au cabernet avec pates, beef short ribs braised in cabernet with pasta, pearl onions, and mushrooms and a glass of French red, recommended by the server, from her hometown. Julie's crepe slightly trumps my beef, but both are delicious and service is wonderful. We finish lunch and step outside, where Julie is instantly enchanted by a little street performance, an adorable Frenchman doing handstands on a tower of chairs.

While Julie is caught up in awe, I pop over to the refreshment stand and buy us each a Grey Goose slush, dessert!

We shop in Morocco, in Japan, and head for Italy. In Italy, the charming server talks us into doing the Epcot Wine Walk, 2 2 oz sample glasses in each country, Italy, Germany, and France for $20. Why not? We take our wine and watch another street performance, this one an Italian clown having a ball with his audience (literally, throwing balls to people, too fun!). Then, on to Germany (more wine) and China (tea!), Norway for the Maelstrom (always too short), and Mexico for the boatride (just right). Time is running out. A brisk walk to France for our final wine samples, and back through the International Gateway for the ride back to the Dolphin to claim our bags and get the Mears Shuttle to the airport and home.

The Dolphin was a fabulous conference hotel. Great service, well-organized, able to handle a crowd. I wish we could have more conferences at Disney World. I had so much fun in the parks with friends, and alone, truly a different experience.

And now I'm headed back with my family for some time at the Polynesian before taking my son back to college and the start of my daughter's senior year. We're definitely repeating Kouzzina, plus trying new places, and some old favorites. Another report coming in September.

faline
08-17-2010, 07:05 PM
We were in Mizner's fpr a bit on the evening of the 31st but we were there just as the band was beginning to set up to play. Was the band playing while you were there?

What great fun! Looking foward to reading reports about your family trip!

RedSoxFan
08-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Monorail Pub Crawl --- I Love It!!
That sounds like so much fun.
:mickey:

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
It was fun! I think we were too late for the band.

Melanie
08-17-2010, 07:54 PM
We were at the MK on the morning of the 1st, and at the opening ceremony! Why didn't we see you??? ;) You are right, crowds were low!!! Great morning, and I think we left right around the time you did.

Great ending to your trip. Thanks for sharing. Have fun on your upcoming trip!!! :lei:

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Yes, Melanie! We were there. I wish I had seen you. We were on the side closest to the monorails and not far in front of the entry turnstiles. My friend was like a kid seeing it for the first time. I know I love it, but I had no idea how she would react and it was pretty great to share it with someone new. She can't wait to bring her husband to Disney World now.

Melanie
08-17-2010, 08:25 PM
You succeeded in getting someone to drink the kool-aid. :mickey:

Where you describe is basically where we were as well. I remember being under the tree there towards the left trying to stay in some shade. Too bad we didn't recognize one another somehow.

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
We'll have to establish some sort of Intercot secret code.

DizNee143
08-18-2010, 09:02 AM
sounds like a great time doing the monorail pub crawl..how fun!
and so glad you were able to show your friend the MK for the first time!!
sounds like you really had a nice time all together!!
and lucky you..you get to go back soo soon already! enjoy.....again! :mickey:

yjgirl32
08-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Another great report- thanks so much for sharing.

BluewaterBrad
08-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the great reports! I will be looking for the Sept. trip story!! P.S............ You two must have had a pretty good buzz going that night of pub hopping!!!:marg::marg::mickey:

Carolanne
08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. LOOOOVE the Monorail Pub Crawl :thumbsup:! I am stealing that idea for the next time in WDW with my mom :mickey:

Suz36
08-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Sounded like a really fun "work" trip! How do I get a job like that??? Looking forward to your family report - have a magical time!

KylesMom
08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
You sure packed an incredible mix of business and pleasure on this trip, Sherri. How cool to share MK with someone new that last day! I was looking for you at the various parks, but it appears that we were never at the same place at the same time.

Thanks for including all of the wonderful details about the parks and especially the incredible dining experiences you had.

Last but not least, congratulations on such a good reception to your book at the signing events!

Looking forward to your family reports! :mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Congrats on a great "work/play" stay.

Have a great time in September and can't wait to read all about it.

DisneyorBust
08-20-2010, 09:29 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed each of your reports Sherri and I'm sure your novels would be excellent as well! My DW and youngest DD are avid romance novel readers, I would like to suggest your work to them.
I'll Pm you for titles etc, if that's acceptable.
We will be back in WDW in September as well and I will still look forward to your reports!

SBETigg
08-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm back from the family trip. It was a late August stay- arrived in time to celebrate my 20th anniversary on August 18th and came back on August 27th to get the son back to college in time for classes to start (today). It was wonderful, and more reports coming soon. Thanks, all!

Melanie
09-03-2010, 08:18 PM
When can we expect your family reports, Sherri?

SBETigg
09-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm trying to catch up on my work so I can write them. Next week, I think.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Great report, thanks.

princessgirls
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Sherri~

LOVED the pub crawl...not something I've done with the family in tow, but you had a PERFECT opportunity to do so now. Fun!:marg:

You had an excellent conference! I'm glad your book signings were successful.

Thanks for posting reports! I really enjoyed them!
Julie:mickey: