PDA

View Full Version : SBETigg's "Solo" Conference Stay

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Tuesday July 27.

Sherri, 41, attending Romance Writer's of America conference held at the Dolphin resort.

Arrival Day, no official conference activity (other than registration).

5:30 a.m, Bradley Airport. Have cleared security after five scans of carry-on bag. Who knew eyelash curler could be confused with a deadly weapon? March to gate and prepare to board plane. Flash smug grin to suckers who did not sign on to Southwest early enough to score prime A21 seating number as I have. Choose window seat in front of wing. Wonder if the Lost crew would approve my choice.

8:30 a.m. Orlando. Smooth flight, easy landing. Now to find ground transportation to whisk me to the Dolphin Resort. At Mears counter, run into fellow romance authors. End up in motor coach with 5 women en route to RWA, and one lone businessman who looks very scared indeed. "Please drop me off first," he begs the male driver, as he moves from the back into the front passenger seat. The men will stick together. Safety in numbers. "I have appointments. And stuff."

9:00 a.m. I'm going to Disney World! I can't really see anything out the windows of the motor coach from my middle seat, but excitement builds. Especially after we drop off our businessman. Almost there!

9:30 a.m. At the Dolphin at last! I glance around the lobby as I head for the check-in line. It's beautiful, with whimsical decor and a large Dolphin fountain at the center. Disney theming, check. Though, technically, the Dolphin is a Starwood property, located at Disney, and not a Disney hotel. As I realize when they let me check in and my room is ready (actually ready!) before 10 a.m. (this almost never happens on Disney property for me). I check in, check my 10th floor view (of the Tower of Terror, yes!), fix my hair, hope I won't look like too big a dork in the lobby in my park clothes around other romance authors (navy polo dotted with Mickey silhouettes, tan shorts, white socks and Asics running shoes), and head out.

All clear, no authors spotted. I sprint past the Dolphin fountain to Guest Services to buy my park pass and I'm off. Time to get my ride on! I'm supposed to meet friends (authors Dee Davis, Dee's daughter, and Julie Kenner) at the parks, but I can't seem to get in touch. We discussed possibly meeting at the Animal Kingdom, so I head there on the bus. Halfway there, a text message. They're at Hollywood Studios. I get off the bus at Blizzard Beach (a water park, one stop before the Animal Kingdom) and change buses to go back to Disney Hollywood Studios. I wish I had managed to connect with them before bus. The Studios is an easy boat ride from the Dolphin. But-- I'm at Disney World! All is well.

11:14 a.m. By the time I arrive at the Hollywood Studios, my friends are on to the Great Movie Ride. I decide to wait at the ride exit so I don't miss them. (How did we survive before cell phones and easy texting?) I sip a frozen lemonade while I wait. Good stuff. I've been in Disney World for over an hour and I still haven't ridden anything! I'm sweating and I start to panic. What if I miss my friends and wait here all day while they are having fun? They come out and end my torture. Hugs all around.

11: 42 a.m. Everyone is hungry, so we head to the Backlot Express. It's air-conditioned, bonus. Dee's daughter grabs a table. The rest of us order and bring the food. I have the double cheeseburger (though I only want a single) with fries. Dee's daughter has chicken breast nuggets with fries. Dee has the grilled turkey and cheese with arugula and red peppers with fries. And Julie has the Southwest Salad with Chicken, mixed greens with tortilla strips, black bean relish, avocado, and cilantro vinaigrette. We all agree our food is okay, meets but does not exceed expectations with the exception of Dee's turkey sandwich, that she declares really good. The addition of the red peppers moves it beyond the ordinary. I remove a patty from my cheeseburger. It's just too much food.

12: 30 p.m. After lunch, we head for Star Tours. Julie claims it as her favorite ride. I don't reveal that I get nauseated on Star Tours. Usually, I do better with a full stomach and the lunch was fairly filling. I think I will survive. And I do. Star Tours has a minimal wait, maybe ten minutes in line. We get the front row. I've ridden many times, but have never been in front. We all agree that the ride is dated and could use some updates, but it's still a lot of fun making our simulated journey to Endor that goes awry.

1:00 p.m. After Star Tours, we split up again. My friends have FastPasses toRock n Roller Coaster and I decide to browse the Star Tours gift shop for a gift for my editor, and then meet my friends outside of RnRC. We opt to ride Twilight Zone Tower of Terror next, and I'm thrilled. One of my favorite rides! And it does not disappoint.

2:00 p.m. We're all hot and tired and ready for a break. But, we're disheveled and a bit sweaty. Dare we walk through a hotel lobby of romance writing professionals? We have no choice. We call it our new Walk of Shame and brazen on through. We all head to our rooms to unpack, refresh, and get ready for dinner. I feel much better after a shower. We all choose park clothes that will be acceptable for a casual restaurant, with plans to hit Epcot after the meal.

7:30 p.m. Julie Kenner, Dee Davis, Dee's daughter, my roommate Julie Ortolon, and I meet in the lobby and proceed to meet friend Jacquie D'Alessandro at the Dolphin's sister resort, The Swan. We all blog together as the Whine Sisters. We walk across the Boardwalk to Cat Cora's Kouzzina, admiring the sights and stopping for pictures along the way.

At Kouzzina, check in does not go smoothly. They mistake me for another party. I correct it on the way to the table. We return to the hostess desk and wait some more. They give us a buzzer so that we can wander around until our table is ready. The buzzer buzzes. They find my name, but try to seat the 6 of us at a table for 4. We return to the desk and wait some more. Finally, we're seated and eager for a great meal.

We opt to share some appetizers. Crisp Calamari and Lemon - Coated in Three Flours with Spicy Yogurt and Garlic Yogurt. Spanakopita - Traditional Phyllo Pie of Spinach, Feta, Leeks, and Dill. And some sort of grilled goat cheese served with thick crispy toasts. The calamari is the big hit. Yum.

Some of us order wine flights with our meal, like the Cat Flight, 'Cat Flight'- Cat Cora's Own "Coranation" Wines $17.00
Coranation, Sauvignon Blanc, Napa Valley - Well structured, with ripe apple, blood orange, spice and pear notes that are juicy and refreshing, with terrific focus.
Coranation, Chardonnay, Russian River - Cat Cora designed the perfect Chardonnay for her cuisine with tropical fruit, vanilla, and spice.
Coranation, Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast - Cherries, cranberries, cinnamon, clove and rose petals with clove, vanilla, and roasted pecan nuances.

Yum, yum, and yum. All good. Once the food arrives, we all sample each others and the conversation ceases except for occasional exclamations like "OH." "Ohhhhh." and "Oh my gosh." Yes, the food is that good. Jacquie and I have the Fisherman's Stew - Scallops, seasonal Fish, Shellfish, Fennel, Grilled Bread, and Ouzo Butter. Julie, Julie, and Dee's daughter have the Slow-cooked Lamb Shank served with Oven-baked Gigantes Beans and Pepper Sauce. Dee orders the Kouzzina Trio - tasting size portions of Pastitisio, Char-grilled Lamb Burger, and Cinnamon-stewed Chicken with Orzo, and the lamb burger was the biggest surprise of them all. Not your ordinary burger. Well worth a try.

And finally, dessert. We decide to split the traditional Baklava, and it's amazing, served warm with a scoop of pistachio ice cream. We linger and say our goodnights to Jacquie, who will not be joining us in parks. (I don't know how she could pass it up).

10:00 p.m. We fight off our urges to descend into food coma bliss and move on to Epcot EMH, where the Cast Member at the gate goes above and beyond the call of duty to make our night extra special (I can't say more, but yay for CMs who go above and beyond). It's just after IllumiNations, and the crowds are headed to the main entrance. It's dark and the countries are all lit up and twinkling. I enjoy showing Julie O (who has never been) all the sights and she is obviously impressed, as we all are, by the beauty of World Showcase at night. But we're here to ride and Test Track awaits.

The standby line at Test Track advertises a 40 minute wait, but we don't have long to enjoy the park. We opt to break down the group to take advantage of the much shorter Single Rider line. Great idea! We're on the ride in 10 minutes. Julie K and Julie O (our first timer who declares herself scared of roller coasters) get to ride in a car together with a really sweet family. The rest of us are all broken up. But it's so fun! I love the rush of that last high speed ride around the track. Julie O says "Can we do it again?!"

But no, we're off to Spaceship Earth. The animated ending and Judy Dench narration is new to Dee and daughter, and they laugh when they see their future selves. After Spaceship Earth, we decide to wait in the long line for Soarin. It's a half hour to park close, so why not give it a go? And no one is disappointed. The wait is just about the whole half hour followed by one excellent ride (even though we end up in the bottom row). After a wonderful time, we drag our way back through World Showcase, keeping each other from falling down in exhaustion along the way, to the International Gateway, straight onto the boat, and to our beds.

Tomorrow, it's the Animal Kingdom, the big booksigning, and maybe more time at Disney Hollywood Studios at night.

faline
08-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Sherri, I was wondering when I'd see your trip reports!

We arrived the same day but, alas, the parks were all shut up tight by time we got to our resort! Great beginning but certainly a long day!

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I was driven by sheer excitement. That first day is always so amazing and I want to do it all! :thumbsup:

DizNee143
08-17-2010, 03:37 PM
what a great travel day and day in the parks!! very busy day!! and dinner sounded wonderful! :mickey:

Melanie
08-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Great first day!!! Did you like the Dolphin? We recently stayed at the Swan and can't wait to return. Not sure why we waited so many years to give it a try.

On to day 2....

RedSoxFan
08-17-2010, 06:59 PM
A busy first day.=o)

yjgirl32
08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Great report!

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Melanie, I thought the Dolphin was a great place to stay. The transportation was very good- never a big wait for a bus and we were always first pick-up it seemed. The rooms were nice, spacious. Beds comfortable. View of Tower of Terror reminded me "Yes, I am at WDW!" And the boat to DHS and Epcot was great.

For the price, special low conference price, it was an incredible bargain and a real win. But I would be willing to pay more. There was enough of a Disney feel even though it's not a Disney hotel. I've stayed at POR and it didn't feel as "onsite" as the Dolphin did. I recommend it, especially if you can get a really good price. I probably never would have tried it if not for the conference, but I would go back.

Melanie
08-17-2010, 07:57 PM
I've stayed at POR and it didn't feel as "onsite" as the Dolphin did. I recommend it, especially if you can get a really good price.

Agreed totally!!!! We fortunately can get a decent military rate, and we'll take advantage as much as possible. Love the location!

SBETigg
08-17-2010, 08:20 PM
It is a great location. I usually stay on the monorail line but this was a nice change of pace and something I would do again. So easy for DHS and Epcot, and not bad for other parks either. I was really surprised by the great transportation. It was no problem (except for the morning we took the taxi to AK, but the price was not bad and the taxis were standing by just in case- it was an EMH morning).

princessgirls
08-18-2010, 09:49 AM
A great first day!!!

Thanks for reporting!

Julie:mickey:

BluewaterBrad
08-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Great arrival day!! I am heading to day 2!:mickey:

DisneyorBust
08-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I understand that first day excitement! As soon as I check in at our resort, I'm ready to go! Great first day.....off to your next report.

KylesMom
08-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Great first day, Sherri - friends, great food and a fab hotel with a cool view. I hope that the rest of your trip is as good as this! :mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
08-19-2010, 03:25 PM
awesome first day! :thumbsup:

thanks for the great report. I love the play by play detail with the time. makes me picture everything much better! :thumbsup:

Mousefever
08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm already loving your reports, Sherri! But then I seem to love reading everything you write! (Am I gushing? I think I might be doing a little gushing!) Looking forward to the next installments!

Amy