PDA

View Full Version : How busy is Jan. holiday weekend?

NokOnHarts
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Now that free dining is being offered with it's blackout dates, we're considering moving up our dates to be at the parks over Martin Luther King Weekend (Jan. 14-17). How busy are the parks going to be on a weekend holiday like this? I was wanting to avoid it but if we can get the free dining, would it be worth it? The crowd level we had last time we went was early May and we did great. Do I have anything to be concerned about for this weekend in January?

faline
08-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Crowds are generally low in January though the holiday weekend does drive crowds up a bit - particularly in the Magic Kingdom. Weather can be iffy at that time of year. This year, as I understand it, was very cold for quite a period of time!

JPL
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
I was there for MLK weekend about 2 years ago and it was quite crowded very close to summer crowds and the range in temperature was extreme. One night it dropped well into the 30's with a wind chill in the 20's.

rwdavis2
08-17-2010, 02:58 PM
I was there for MLK weekend about 2 years ago and it was quite crowded very close to summer crowds and the range in temperature was extreme. One night it dropped well into the 30's with a wind chill in the 20's.

I was there at the same time and agree. Quite crowded. Not bad if you get there at opening and use Fastpass wisely. But be ready for crowds.
BD

disneykid@hrt
08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
We were there the week leading up to MLK weekend this year and we saw a dramatic change in crowd levels starting that Friday. We were at MK and Epcot that day. It was so bad we opted not to go to the parks that Saturday and get an early start home. The people we were chatting with on that Friday all said they were from Florida. Oh and it was COLD too.

NokOnHarts
08-17-2010, 05:22 PM
That is not what I wanted to hear. :(

Only thing I have to compare it to is crowds in early May. How are crowds that weekend compared to this?

We always get to the parks at opening, leave after lunch for our toddler's nap and come back in the evening. Are crowds going to be doable if we skip the "mid day" rush?

Be honest as I don't want to go if the waits are going to be hours long for every ride come 10am.