PDA

View Full Version : Taking a 6 Month Old To Sit Down Dinners

starryeyes21
08-15-2010, 05:09 PM
In a few weeks my parents are treating me and my DS to a WDW trip. I'm very excited but a little nervous about the whole thing. It will be me, my parents, and my DS. My husband could not get the time off of work. DS will be six months old at the time. I have a few questions when it comes to dining.

First, what is our option if he is unable to sit up in a high chair. Is someone going to have to hold him the whole time that we eat? Right now he is not sitting up on his own and, when we take him out to eat, stays in his car seat. I know that this is not an option at Disney because we won't have his seat.

Second, if we show up at the dining location and give our names what happens if I need to take my DS somewhere else to keep him entertained? For example, we have reservations at the San Angel Inn if he gets fussy would it be possible for me to take him on the boat ride while my parents wait for a table? Would they still seat my parents even if I am not there as soon the the buzzer goes off.

Third, it is a problem if I feed my son at the table? He does eat solids now, mostly cereal and by then fruit. I know that this may sound like a silly question but he is a messy eater....food everywhere and I just wanted to know if our waiter would feel put out or yucked out by a messy baby at the table, flinging food around. I mean, not like throwing but getting it on his hands and mushing it on the table most likely.

Also, the tables in some of these places are close together. Would other diners be grossed out by a yucky baby. I wouldn't ask this except we actually encountered this problem. There was a person who was disgusted by a messy baby face. Now I feel self counscious about feeding in public. He also loves his mesh feeder, but again they are messy. The benefit here is that it keeps him quiet and entertained. I guess my question here is.... what is your honest opinion about seeing a baby with mush all over their face while you are eating? Would it bother you?

marlyn
08-15-2010, 05:29 PM
In a few weeks my parents are treating me and my DS to a WDW trip. I'm very excited but a little nervous about the whole thing.

How nice of your parents!! You will have a great time. No need to be nervous about anything!

First, what is our option if he is unable to sit up in a high chair. Is someone going to have to hold him the whole time that we eat?

I hope someone with young babies can help you out on this one. My kids are older. I think that unfortunately many restaurants would not have room for a stroller to be in there and you would have to leave it outside and hold onto your child...but hopefully someone will know better.

Second, if we show up at the dining location and give our names what happens if I need to take my DS somewhere else to keep him entertained? Would they still seat my parents even if I am not there as soon the the buzzer goes off.

I don't think anyone would stop them from being seated if they explained that you took your infant for a walk and would be right back.

Third, it is a problem if I feed my son at the table? I just wanted to know if our waiter would feel put out or yucked out by a messy baby at the table, flinging food around.

This is WDW and children are everywhere! If people want a quiet, non-messy meal they should not eat here! lol Your waiter won't have a problem and if he does than so what. Don't let it bother you. I am sure you wont be letting your baby throw food at other patrons.

Also, the tables in some of these places are close together. Would other diners be grossed out by a yucky baby. I guess my question here is.... what is your honest opinion about seeing a baby with mush all over their face while you are eating? Would it bother you?

Like I already said...this is WDW. Kids are par for the course. As long as your baby wasnt putting food all over my face, I would have no problem whatsoever.;) I have had kids, they were once young and I can relate. If I wish to dine where there are no kids then I go to a fine dining establishment. When I dine at most places in WDW I expect to have kids there. The only thing that bothers me is when parents let their kids run all over restaurant. If a child is really restless I feel parents should take turns taking child for a little stroll to look at things instead of letting them run wild. But a baby with a little food on him is not a big deal at all IMO.

Go and enjoy your trip! Enjoy your child!

Pirate Granny
08-15-2010, 05:38 PM
What is a mush feeder?

Well. When we took our children many years ago, we ate at the contemporary and our daughter ate spaghetti and it was EVERYWHERE...I'm sure the tray was permanently stained..and it happens...

Now we bring our grandchildren and at times it's embarrassing the mess they make, but that's kids. As long as they are not screaming you should be fine.

If he can feed himself why would't he be sitting up in the high chair? What other options do you have if you don't want to hold him?

Normally the won't seat you unless the entire party is ready to be seated...but you can ask the cm when you arrive.

Have a good time.

VWL Mom
08-15-2010, 05:42 PM
When my sons we infants there was a high chair harness which we used. It went over a chair or high chair and sat the baby up. It folded and fit in the backpack. I also had a fold up mat for the table so his mess went with me and honestly made me feel better that his food was not touching the table. I would just wipe it off and put it in the pack too.

Disney understands babies and if I had to walk a cranky baby it was never an issue.

As far as disturbing those near you with a messy baby, you'll probably get some giggles if he as bad as it sounds. My boys are 15 & 18 and I can assure you we would rather sit next to a happy yucky baby than a cranky clean one any day.

Go and enjoy!

starryeyes21
08-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks so much for the replies so far. My little man loves to eat and he really gets into it. He's not feeding himself yet, but when I feed him at home it tends to get all over him. We just started solids so a lot of what goes in he pushes back out with his tongue. Then the hands come up to the mouth. He also touches whatever gets on his bib and grabs at the spoon. I've scrubbed cereal out of his hair, nose, and ears.

A mesh feeder is a little device that you can place fruit or veggies in and the baby can munch it. All the juice passes through the mesh but the food stays inside. It's a fun way to introduce new foods and tastes. But like I said, it's messy.

DS is a really good baby. We don't have many problems with him when he comes out to eat with us but WDW is a whole new can of worms.

Donald
08-15-2010, 07:07 PM
Just beware of character meals. My son loved the characters if he could see them coming, but Minnie came up from behind him and "peek"=and my son went "boo hoo". We had our meal packed up, and then went to the baby center to finish.

Dont forget those baby centers. They are wonderful. They have nice changing areas, nursing rooms, high chairs, and all the little extras you may have forgotton for sale there. We purchased some baby food there before. They also have bottled water there if you need to make a bottle of formula. Air conditioned and quiet. Sometimes that is all you need! They also have an area with chairs and a tv.:mickey:

ANG
08-15-2010, 07:19 PM
We went to DW with DS when he was 5 months. And we truly enjoyed ourselves!

He was too young to be in a high chair so they allowed us to bring in our lightweight stroller. Funny, we got more annoyed looks that we were allowed a stroller rather than annoyed looks cause a baby was sitting next to them.

Also, DS was so busy being occupied by the people, scenery, buildings than to care if we had to wait.

You can bring his foods. IMO it's the same as anywhere you go. Kid friendly places, clean up the larger pieces that you can, and leave a decent tip.

Mammabruski
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
Everyone had great advice...As for not being able to sit in a high chair, I saw this product in a baby supply catalog, and apparently it is used to help prop up babies in swings and such. Its called Hugga-Bebe. You could google it. I don't know if it would work in the wooden high chairs that are in restaurants, but may work. Good luck!

Pirate Granny
08-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Too funny...mammabruski was our baby who left the mess at the contemporary. Mammabruski has a wonderful contraption that suctions to the table and has an overhang lip and she cuts the food up on this rubber sort a placemat and we clean and roll it up when done...wonderful thing to have.

That said...some restaurants truly do not have room for strollers and they will not allow them in...I would make a plan that doesn't involve a stroller...

Not always easy to hold baby and eat especially if he is also eating.