PDA

View Full Version : DDP s TiW

DizneyRox
08-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I was thinking and finally took the time to do a compare between the two for our last trip.

Basically, I took our actual OOP expenses (always 18% surcharge) for food and then took the same receipts, tried to match up what would have been credits, then added in 18% tip and OOP expenses for things we got that were not on the plan.

We ended up NOT having enough credits to cover what we ate, even snacks which I was more worried about we went over. I did figure a lot of our shopping for room "supplies" was actually snack credits so our OOP could have been more if those weren't really snacks.

Anyway...

For 11 nights, we ended up at about $1076 in food under the TiW and around $1348 on the DDP. That's for the plan, plus tips and extras as I mentioned.

Just blindly adding 20% to the TiW receipts which isn't really fair, we would have been at about $1292 or so, still less than the DDP.

We didn't pay for TiW this year as we bought it on last years vacation, but if you want to add 1/2 the cost into this years, we're still ahead of the game, both DDP and OOP.

We didn't really look at menu prices this time, so we didn't order trying to save money. We did some good TS locations, like LeCellier, Narccoossee's, Chef Mickey's. On July 4th, due to the holiday, we couldn't use the TiW discount either, that day was a dinner is Epcot WS.

Now you see why I maintain that the DDP is NOT a value (for us and probably for most people).

disneymom2000
09-05-2010, 07:20 PM
That is pretty interesting. I kept my receipts from my last visit and planned on doing it again this visit. I wanted to do a spreadsheet for the comparison. People say they can't wait for free dining but they don't get it that the price for a Magic Your Way vacation package is increasing due to all these "freebies". I have my documents from every visit since 1993 and I can't begin to tell you the difference in my package price between then and now. And I do take into account normal "cost of living" type charges.

faline
09-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I did such a comparison on our May trip. I came out ahead paying out of pocket and using the Tables in Wonderland card. I even included the cost of the card (which I purchased on that trip) as a dining expense.

SBETigg
09-05-2010, 08:21 PM
But you can only get the Tables in Wonderland card if you're an annual passholder, right? This isn't an option for everyone.

faline
09-05-2010, 08:36 PM
But you can only get the Tables in Wonderland card if you're an annual passholder, right? This isn't an option for everyone.

True. It's available to annual passholders, season passholders and Florida residents. Still, it's not accepted everywhere and, in particular, offers no discounts at counter service restaurants and, as we discovered in May, outdoor lounges such as the one at Coronado Springs.

SBETigg
09-05-2010, 08:52 PM
True. It's available to annual passholders, season passholders and Florida residents. Still, it's not accepted everywhere and, in particular, offers no discounts at counter service restaurants and, as we discovered in May, outdoor lounges such as the one at Coronado Springs.

Thanks for the information. You, too, DisneyRox. Very interesting to see how that worked out for you. The dining plan continues to be even less of a bargain with all the cutbacks, so not surprising findings entirely. If I was eligible for TiW, it would certainly have been a good thing for us, and it's always a future consideration.

Melanie
09-05-2010, 09:33 PM
offers no discounts at counter service restaurants

The counter service restaurants at AK DO accept TiW. :thumbsup:

HoosierDisneyFan
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Great that TiW worked for your family!

Of course DDP would work better for other families.

It all depends on the mix of dining options that one selects.

Not sure why everyone has to make a debate over the whole issue.