PDA

View Full Version : Last minute booking changes...

Plex
08-14-2010, 05:44 PM
It seems like every time there's a thread about wait listing there's a few people that mention they were able to switch their reservations to somewhere better about a week or so out from their trip.

The only thing that I can think is that the extra inventory that they hold for renovations and cash guests might be released then for anyone to use.

Is Does anyone know what's up with this? Or is it just a mystery? :confused:

MinnieMommie
08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I had an experience with this during my January 2010 trip. We were staying at DVC for 10 days. Our first and last nights were at BWV and the rest of the nights were at BLT. We were fine about the first night not being at BLT and really wanted to try out BWV (which is very nice!) and see the Holiday decorations and enjoy some other things in that area. However we really did not want to change DVCs for our last night (DD was running the marathon and not convenient to change resorts at all).

We had been calling DVC to check on that last night and were on a waitlist but as of check in there were no rooms available through DVC for our last night. When we check into BLT we asked at the resort if there were rooms available for that last night. They told us there were but that it was too far out for them to release it to us. They recommended we call DVC daily to have them check on availability and if we have no luck to come back to them 7 days before the night we wanted.

DVC did not have the room for us but we were able to get it through the concierge desk at the resort. I have spoken with DVC about this a few times since and they have told me that the resort can see available rooms through their inventory that they can not see. I am guessing that the percentage of rooms which are separately held by the resort can get released by the resort 7 days out.

Anyway that was my experience. I think there are some intricacies involved and I don't have the details. I have gotten conflicting information around this issue from DVC. Usually they tell me I can't get rooms by speaking with the resort (and if I do I will be charged cash rather than points) but all I can say is that I have done this. I have had a few people at DVC who have conceded that it would not hurt to call them and the resort but again I think it has to be 7 days out.

I'm sure others will be able to shed more light on this.