PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the cartoons?

elmjimmlm
08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
When we were at POR in June the old cartoons were not on TV but there was a water safety cartoon that ran over and over with Timon and Pumba...I just wonder if the cartoons are off for good? My kids love to watch them in the mornings when we would get ready to go to the parks and again before bed...Any ideas?

Strmchsr
08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
This is easily one of the dumbest and most inexplicable moves Disney has ever made, but they have taken the classic cartoons off the resort TVs. What's funny is you can still watch them at All Star Movies, but none of the other resorts have that channel any longer.

I sent WDW an email about the issue. I don't expect them to do anything, but maybe if enough of us complained they'd bring the good stuff back.

elmjimmlm
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM
This is easily one of the dumbest and most inexplicable moves Disney has ever made, but they have taken the classic cartoons off the resort TVs. What's funny is you can still watch them at All Star Movies, but none of the other resorts have that channel any longer.

I sent WDW an email about the issue. I don't expect them to do anything, but maybe if enough of us complained they'd bring the good stuff back.

I think that is a great idea...I think everyone should complain and maybe they will bring it back...:thumbsup:
I think if they can show them in the lobby then why not the rooms?

kemps@wdw
08-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Another vote to bring back the cartoons. Who do we e-mail?:mad:

Strmchsr
08-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Another vote to bring back the cartoons. Who do we e-mail?:mad:

[email protected]

elmjimmlm
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Mine has been sent...Who is next?:thumbsup:

Alaska Disney Fan
08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Sent mine!! let's get these cartoons back on!

tinksmom02
08-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I just sent an email, my daughter will be DEVASTATED if the cartoons aren't on the TV in December!

Tekneek
08-22-2010, 08:12 AM
When we were there the last week of July, the old cartoons were on during the day with that Water Safety thing playing over and over at night. The Water Safety short is well made, but I don't really see the point in playing it non-stop.

DisneyFr33k
08-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Mine has been sent...Who is next?:thumbsup:

I'm sending mine now!! :thumbsup:

I miss those cartoons - especially at night.

They also used to have a bedtime story book they would read at night - show pages of a Disney story and someone would read the story (like Little Mermaid etc). It helped my kids when they were little settle down and go to sleep.

DisneyFr33k
08-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I just sent the e-mail.

Quick question - do you think it was costing them extra money to run them? Just thinking of reasons why they would remove something so cool.

It was wonderful to watch them before bed, keeping the magic there waiting for our next day as WDW!

Strmchsr
08-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Quick question - do you think it was costing them extra money to run them? Just thinking of reasons why they would remove something so cool.

I doubt it cost them a dime. It's not like they had to pay royalties. And they run 15 channels of the same thing over and over, so it doesn't seem to be an issue of channel space. I, honestly, cannot think of one good reason why they don't show the cartoons anymore. Or why you can see them at one or two resorts (like All-Star Movies) but not all of them.

elmjimmlm
08-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Just wondering if you ever got a response from Disney...When I sent mine it said 8-10 days for a response...

Strmchsr
08-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Just wondering if you ever got a response from Disney...When I sent mine it said 8-10 days for a response...

Yes, I did. I think it took 2-3 weeks but they emailed me back with the standard "we value your opinions, thanks for contacting us, we'll take this into consideration, blah, blah, blah." I didn't expect them to take it too seriously, but if they get enough requests they might start to.

elmjimmlm
08-23-2010, 11:28 AM
I wish everyone would... It is one of the things that my kids love to do when we go...

Alaska Disney Fan
08-23-2010, 06:57 PM
I haven't gotten a response yet....

elmjimmlm
08-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Ok, here is my response from Disney...Sound familiar?

Dear Ms. Mansfield,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort.

I am very sorry for the disappointment you experienced regarding the
lack of Disney cartoons on your Resort television. I wanted to
personally assure you that your feedback has been taken seriously and
let you know how much we appreciate your comments. Our Guests' feedback
allows for our continual growth and the preservation of the magic Walt
Disney dreamed about.

Ms. Mansfield, thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback.

Best Regards,

Guest Communication Services
Walt Disney World Resort

Renfairwedding
08-23-2010, 09:32 PM
I got the same.

magicofdisney
08-23-2010, 09:48 PM
This used to be one of the things I most looked forward to at the resort. It makes sense they'd keep it at All Star Movies, but very depressing it's been stripped from other hotels. It's just another example of disappearing magic... :(

I also sent an email.

Mickey'sGirl
08-24-2010, 07:54 AM
The movies were playing at the Contemporary when we stayed there in May.

magicofdisney
08-24-2010, 08:48 AM
The movies were playing at the Contemporary when we stayed there in May.
Anymore I feel it's the luck of the draw. It appears very random. I wish they'd just leave it and leave it alone! :mickey:

Alaska Disney Fan
08-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Ok, here is my response from Disney...Sound familiar?

Dear Ms. Mansfield,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World® Resort.

I am very sorry for the disappointment you experienced regarding the
lack of Disney cartoons on your Resort television. I wanted to
personally assure you that your feedback has been taken seriously and
let you know how much we appreciate your comments. Our Guests' feedback
allows for our continual growth and the preservation of the magic Walt
Disney dreamed about.

Ms. Mansfield, thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback.

Best Regards,

Walt Disney World Resort

I received my form letter today, almost word for word

azcavalier
08-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Now, this is interesting. My response was different than the rest of yours:

Dear Mr. Henshaw,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

We still show some classic cartoons on the in-room televisions on channel 96 similar to the ones shown on the lobby televisions. We're glad your family enjoys them.

We hope this information is helpful!

Sincerely,

Matt Winters
Guest Communications
Walt Disney World Resort

:confused: Really? You would think that one of us would have discovered that.

Strmchsr
08-25-2010, 12:59 PM
:confused: Really? You would think that one of us would have discovered that.

:exactly: I know that some rooms still have it, but definitely not all of them. In fact, one of the first things I do upon getting settled into our room is hit 9-6 on the remote to see if that channel will pull up. Other than the All-Star Movies, hasn't happened in a while.

Scar
08-25-2010, 01:46 PM
The only reason I can think of is, if families are in their rooms watching TV, they are not in the parks spending money.

azcavalier
08-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Well, i've sent a reply to their reply asking for clarification. We'll see what they say.

elmjimmlm
08-25-2010, 10:18 PM
The only reason I can think of is, if families are in their rooms watching TV, they are not in the parks spending money.

Yeah but I feel like we are also paying for the TV we are watching as well...I guess they dont think so...

azcavalier
08-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Yeah but I feel like we are also paying for the TV we are watching as well...I guess they dont think so...

I just don't think that's it at all. I mean, who would book a trip to WDW to sit in an expensive room and watch old cartoons? If that were the reason, then they'd also take out the pools, because they couldn't have us swimming instead of being in the parks spending money!

No, that's not it at all. Which is why it's a head scratcher. There doesn't seem to be a legit reason to take the channel out of the rooms.

And, by the way, after I sent an email asking them if the cartoons on channel 96 was for all the resorts, or only ran cartoons a certain time of day, this was the response that I got:

Dear Mr. Henshaw,

Please know we feature some classic cartoons on our in-room televisions,
occasionally. Next time you may wish to try Channel 96. You should find
some of the same cartoons that are on the Resort lobby televisions.

So, basically, they run them...sometimes. "Occasionally" is the key word. I guess that those occasions just don't coincide with our annual visits.

LudwigVonDrake
08-26-2010, 10:52 AM
When I was at the WL in July the Timon and Pumbaa water safety cartoon played over and over. No classic cartoons :(

elmjimmlm
08-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I just wish they would bring them back...We spend plenty of time and money in the parks and I love it...At the end of the day or when we come back to take a break, my kids would watch them...Its just one of those "touches" that we love and hate to see it missing...

magicofdisney
08-26-2010, 01:39 PM
I just don't think that's it at all. I mean, who would book a trip to WDW to sit in an expensive room and watch old cartoons? If that were the reason, then they'd also take out the pools, because they couldn't have us swimming instead of being in the parks spending money!

No, that's not it at all. Which is why it's a head scratcher. There doesn't seem to be a legit reason to take the channel out of the rooms.

And, by the way, after I sent an email asking them if the cartoons on channel 96 was for all the resorts, or only ran cartoons a certain time of day, this was the response that I got:

Dear Mr. Henshaw,

Please know we feature some classic cartoons on our in-room televisions,
occasionally. Next time you may wish to try Channel 96. You should find
some of the same cartoons that are on the Resort lobby televisions.

So, basically, they run them...sometimes. "Occasionally" is the key word. I guess that those occasions just don't coincide with our annual visits.
I love how you mentioned channel 96 and then they tell you to "try" channel 96 in the room. :unsure:

Evil Genius
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
Some of the resorts use televisions that simply won't allow you to navigate to channel 96!

I know we tried it last time we were at POR and if you hit 96 on your remote it did nothing and you couldn't scroll to that channel either.

I don't know why Disney seems to go out of its way to not show the classic shorts. First they were all but expunged from The Disney Channel and now Resort TV as well!

azcavalier
08-26-2010, 05:33 PM
I love how you mentioned channel 96 and then they tell you to "try" channel 96 in the room. :unsure:

What's even better is that it really didn't seem like they read my follow up message. Here's what I had actually sent them.

Thank you for the response.

If the cartoons are being shown on channel 96, is that true for all
resorts? And is it all the time, or just certain times of the day? The
last three trips we've made to WDW, we have stayed at Port Orleans
Riverside and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge, and could not find
cartoons playing in either the morning as we were getting ready, or in
the evening as we tried to wind down.

Friends have told me that they have found them at the Contemporary and
at All Star Movies, but everyone else I've talked to said that they can
never find them.

Their response? Simply that occasionally they show cartoons on channel 96. No mention of which resorts or even if it's seasonal for some reason.

DisneyFr33k
08-29-2010, 06:39 AM
I sent mine a week ago with the standard "we received you e-mail and someone will get back with you later response". Nothing yet.

We miss them!

wmdaddy
08-30-2010, 02:57 PM
What this shows is that even Disney doesn't know why it was done.

I asked the front desk at the Yacht Club a couple weeks back and they said it was taken off, but they have no idea why. When we got to the Polynesian, they had different remotes, and we got channel 96.

Disney has horrible TV programming for kids. They should have something at night for them.

magicofdisney
08-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I once brought my own universal remote with me to Disney to see if I could get that elusive channel 96. It didn't work.

Often I travel with my mom which necessitates two rooms. 90% of the time we get connecting rooms. On more than one occasion one of us has access to the channel and the other does not.

tinksmom02
08-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Here's the response I got today:

"Dear Ms. Aldellizzi,

Thank you for your question about the cartoon channel on our Walt Disney
World® Resort televisions.

We are currently in the process of switching our resort televisions from
analog cable to digital. Any Disney resort currently using analog cable
still has the channel, such as Disney's Contemporary Resort, but any
resort that has already converted to digital cable no longer has the
channel.

There are currently no plans to return the channel to the new digital
system.

I hope that answers your question.

Best regards,

Steve Rivers
Guest Communications Services
Walt Disney World Resort"

:confused: Ummm...OK....

magicofdisney
08-31-2010, 11:16 AM
Here's the response I got today:

"Dear Ms. Aldellizzi,

Thank you for your question about the cartoon channel on our Walt Disney
World® Resort televisions.

We are currently in the process of switching our resort televisions from
analog cable to digital. Any Disney resort currently using analog cable
still has the channel, such as Disney's Contemporary Resort, but any
resort that has already converted to digital cable no longer has the
channel.

There are currently no plans to return the channel to the new digital
system.

I hope that answers your question.

Best regards,

Steve Rivers
Guest Communications Services
Walt Disney World Resort"

:confused: Ummm...OK....
At least you got a solid answer and not the run-around that others have received. But this is SO DISAPPOINTING! I wish I understood why analogs can have them and digitals cannot.

The one thing I question though is the fact that we've had access to the channel in one room but not the other. Does that mean one room had digital TV and the other had analog? :confused:

DisneyFr33k
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Ok, here was my response... not at all like the posters above.

"Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.

I wanted to personally assure you that your feedback has been taken
seriously and let you know how much we appreciate your comments. Our
Guests’ feedback allows for our continual growth and the preservation of
the magic Walt Disney dreamed about.

Thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback.

Best Regards,"

elmjimmlm
08-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Isn't there a phone number that you can call Disney about complaints? I think that I have seen one somewhere...

magicofdisney
09-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Here's my email response.

Dear Ms. X,
Thank you for contacting us regarding the Walt Disney World Resort.
I am very sorry for the disappointment you experienced with the discontinuation of the cartoons on the resorts televisions. I wanted to personally assure you that your feedback has been taken seriously and let you know how much we appreciate your comments. Our Guests’ feedback allows for our continual growth and the preservation of the magic Walt Disney dreamed about.
I am available Monday through Friday between 12 p.m. and 7 p.m. EST should you have any questions. You may also provide me with your telephone number and the best time to call as a reply to this message. I would be happy to contact you.
Ms. X, Thank you again for your honest and constructive feedback.
Best Regards,
Jessica Peek
Walt Disney World Resort

I'm not sure if I'll follow up or not. I'm not looking for anything other than the return of the cartoons. I'm not sure how a phone conversation will satiate my disappointment.

PopPhan
09-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Here's my email response.

I'm not sure if I'll follow up or not. I'm not looking for anything other than the return of the cartoons. I'm not sure how a phone conversation will satiate my disappointment.

Please do, as you could tell them about this thread and the number of people, beside yourself, who have qualms over this situation.

johnO
09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Thats too bad. We always enjoy them as well.