PDA

View Full Version : What to do with defective book?

alphamommy
08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I bought DD a set of "The Chronicles of Narnia" several years ago. Because of a few Harry Potter interruptions, it's taking us a while to get through them.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago we encountered one volume that's missing about 30 pages. The book (paperback) was bound that way - it's not like they just fell out.

I replaced the volume, but what do I do with the defective book? Logic says that I should recycle it, but the book lover in me has a hard time with this. Should I bite the bullet and let it go? I know there's no reason to keep it.

Any suggestions on how I can do this without feeling guilty?

PirateLover
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM
I would've originally contacted the store or even the publisher to report the problem and ask for a new copy... but since it has already been replaced, that's probably not worth it to you. Unless you do a search and find out you have some rare item worth money, I would chuck it in the recycling bin. A book missing 30 pgs isn't going to do anyone else any good :(

DisneyDog
08-13-2010, 12:05 PM
As a librarian in a public library, we would return the book to the publisher and get a corrected copy. Publishers do make a lot of mistakes. In fact, a large print publisher recently sent us about 20 new books because there *might* have been something wrong with the original ones they sent. And they didn't ask for the original ones back. In fact, there was nothing wrong with the first ones so we made out quite nicely -- except for having no room on our crowded shelves for those extra, unexpected items.

Don't feel guilty about throwing out a book -- unless it's a first edition Darwin or original Shakespeare or something like that. Nothing evil will happen to you if you get rid of it, I promise. And definitely don't donate it to the library if it's missing so many pages. I promise you they will only throw it out on your behalf. Just hold your breath and throw it out quickly...just like taking off a stubborn bandage. :thumbsup:

brownie
08-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Recycle it. If you're missing pages, it won't make for a good read for anyone. Recycling's much better than throwing it out.