PDA

View Full Version : What to do on the first night?

Disney4us2
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
DD and I are flying in and arrive at 4:30pm. We usually take the red eye in from Los Angeles, but that flight is not available in December.

We have a room only at ASMO for our first night and wondering what to do. We plan on bringing our swim suits in case it is warm enough to swim and thought about some mini golf.

I am looking for suggestions on what we can do out of the parks.

We usually arrive at sunrise and check in and hit the parks, so this is something new for us.

Thanks,

DisneyMelissa
08-11-2010, 11:28 PM
In the past, we have either gone swimming at the resort/gone explore around the resort (if we've never been there before) or we have done a combination of mini golfing at Fantasia Gardens as well as exploring Downtown Disney. Not going to a park the first night always builds up a lot of excitement for the next day! :mickey:

Have a great trip!

dizne4me
08-12-2010, 06:40 AM
We usually have a very early morning flight but that last time that we had a late afternoon flight, we just unpacked and went over to Downtown Disney to do some shopping and have dinner. It was a nice relaxing way to start a vacation. Of course, the next morning we were up early and at rope drop at the park.

luvdiznee
08-12-2010, 07:11 AM
DTD or BW area would be my choices. Plenty to see/do and great choice of restaurants, if you are hungry. :thumbsup::mickey:

darthmacho
08-12-2010, 07:46 AM
For me, every Disney trip begins with the exploration of the resort that will be our home for that vacation, just to get aquainted. Swimming is a great way to do that, and of course, eating at the restaurant or food court is a must.

Now if you've been to the resort before, that shouldn't deter you, but if you want to do something, the mini-golf sounds like a fabulous idea! :mickey:

OCDisney
08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
I think swimming is a good idea, another idea is to look for hidden micjeys outside of the parks. To tell you the truth I'm hopelessly lost on this topic. :confused:

T-Belle
08-12-2010, 11:54 AM
On our last visit we decided to do the Hoop dee Doo on our arrival night. We've been before but going there the first night without being tired from the parks was nice!

Mickey91
08-12-2010, 12:23 PM
We sometimes visit the character outlet store at the Premier Outlet mall nearby. Also, Downtown Disney is fun to wander around. Mini golf and swimming are good choices too if the weather is cooperating.:mickey:

But since you're there in December, I would suggest resort hopping and looking at the beautiful decorations. They are certainly magical!

Georgesgirl1
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
We always spend the first night touring the monorail resorts, riding the monorail, the boats, and watching the Electric Water Parade and the fireworks from the Poly beach. It has been our tradition since I was little and a trip to Disney doesn't feel complete without it.

You could also go to the campfire sing-along and movie at Ft. Wilderness.

faline
08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
You might try visiting Downtown Disney.

DunkieKong
08-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Miniature golf is definitely the way to go. Fantasia gardens is a lot of fun, as well as The Winter Summerland course. I think we may play both on our next trip.

Dedivah
08-13-2010, 10:48 AM
We normally head to the park that has the Evening EMH.

But I really like Georgesgirl1 idea of touring the monorail resorts and watching the Electric Water Parade. Maybe you can have dinner at OHANA's before.

I will be adding that to my Things To Do for my next trip.

Disney4us2
08-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Since we are only staying one night at ASMO (without park tickets), before moving to CBR and our package.

From all the suggestions, I figure we could do the following:

Take pictures of all the Icons at ASMO. I have been there twice and never got pics of the resort.

I made a late ADR for Kona Cafe for our dinner. I have 'Ohana for later in the week:) If we are able to, then watch the water parade.

Maybe throw in some mini golf either before dinner or after.

Thanks and any more suggestions are greatly welcomed.:mickey:

DisneyMelissa
08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
We always spend the first night touring the monorail resorts, riding the monorail, the boats, and watching the Electric Water Parade and the fireworks from the Poly beach. It has been our tradition since I was little and a trip to Disney doesn't feel complete without it.

I think this would also be a great choice! We did this for the first time on our last trip and it was a lot of fun seeing the other resorts...they are beautiful!

joonyer
08-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I'd go to DTD and get a sundae at Ghirardelli's.

LudwigVonDrake
08-15-2010, 10:34 AM
If you don't want to do a theme park then head over to DTD for something to eat and some Disney shopping :mickey:

Pop Centurion
08-15-2010, 12:58 PM
We always do DTD on our first night. Do some shopping followed by a nice dinner. I suggest a ride on Characters in Flight just after sunset.

divinedi
08-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Us too, we always do the Marketplace at DTD. Dinner, usually at Wolf Gang Puck's and then just wander through the Marketplace and head back to the room for an early bedtime so we're ready for the first day in the Parks!!!

I'm sooooo missing WDW, and no idea when I might be able to go back......:(

kemps@wdw
08-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Our 1st night is usually spent in DTD, unwinding from the drive down (14 hrs), a light supper, and a little shopping. Then up-and-at-em early the next day! This year, however, we're flying down and should arrive @ our Disney home around 6-7 pm. (later than we usually do). So, I'm thinkin maybe settling in, unpacking, a late supper and a little night swim. And then get a fresh start in the AM.:thumbsup:

xo0ally
08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Get some ice cream at ghiradellis (sp?) and then look through the stores. This usually makes me realize i am finally in Disney and makes me more excited for the parks the next day :mickey: