PDA

View Full Version : These are my ADRS do you think I should purchase the Dining Plan??

luvDaMouse
08-11-2010, 11:44 AM
It is just my dh and I and we are there 12/3 -12/11

Via Napoli
Jiko
Mamma Melrose
Tutto Italia
Trails End
Kona Café
Le Cellier for CP Package :fingers:( I am hoping when its available to schedule)

I may change up them a bit if I do purchase the DP to different restaurants that I wouldn’t normally try. I might like to try Brown Derby, Citricos or Narcoosee, are any of these more than 1 credit? I know that CP is 2 credits and I would have 8 TS credits to use. I have not checked into the amount of credits for Jiko, are they 1 or 2? I could possibly just pay for Trails End out of pocket because I don’t think that it is that expensive. What do you think? Would it make sense for me to just purchase the dining plan? I am so on the fence with this, we spent so much money on food on our last visit but I am just not sure if it’s worth it. I would love to be able to just pay in advance and not have to worry about it, but I know if we want drinks, apps we have to still pay. And we still have to pay for tips. What would you do?

Sorry for rambling on I am just looking for some opinions or suggestions on how you decide whether to purchase the DP or not? :confused:
Thanks,
Dana

TheDuckRocks
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Dana, I ran some quick numbers for you and here is what I've come up with.
1) If you are staying 8 nights I think the DDP would be $41.99 per person per night. Or a total of 671.81.
2) If you get the LeCellier ADR for the CP you have 18 TS credit meals planned. It would be best to OOP for Trails End as it is the least expensive meal.
3) Pricing the meals for the other 16 TS credits you could use I came up with a total of $422.87. (I used mid-priced items from the menus and included the tax which is covered by the plan.)
4) 16 snack credits would be (again in the mid-price range) $50.88.
5) QS credits at $10 each plus tax, would be $169.96.
6) This is total of $643.71.
Unless you are more apt to select the higher priced items from the menus (which we seem to do) it doesn't seem as if you would benefit from getting the plan.
Gosh, I hope this helps and no matter which you chose you'll have a wonderful trip.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Jiko, LeCellier, Brown Derby and I think either one or both Citricos/Narcosees are all 2TS. We've eaten at both LeCellier and Brown Derby and I would say that in our opinion they are not worth 2TS. I can't vouch for Jiko or Citricos/Narcosees.

We've done the dining plan in the past. But with the changes a couple years ago, we don't think we'd do it again. Pre change the DDP included appetizer and it covered the tax & gratuity. Post change, they dropped the appetizer and now you have to pay for the gratuity and possibly the tax as well. So the DDP, imo, has severly lost it's luster and value. Plus we find that what you are getting, in particular the deserts, is really too much food and not something you would necessarily order if you were paying oop. We find ourselves forcing it down simply because we got it with the plan.

I think the biggest plus is the mentallity that you are prepaying for the plan, so that when you are in the "World" you don't have to fixate on the prices/cost when you are ordering. That said, I don't think for the value that it's worth it. I'd go oop.

VWL Mom
08-11-2010, 05:32 PM
You can look at the individual menus and get an idea of entree costs but I think TDR did a nice job of that for you. Looking at your choices, I 'd have to agree with the PP's and say unless you are eating desserts with each meal or order from right to left, go oop.

KAT1811
08-11-2010, 07:43 PM
So the DDP, imo, has severly lost it's luster and value. Plus we find that what you are getting, in particular the deserts, is really too much food and not something you would necessarily order if you were paying oop. We find ourselves forcing it down simply because we got it with the plan.

:hands: That's exactly what I say! We used to think it was a good idea and then when Disney figured out it was too good an idea and "fixed" it we stopped getting it. I like dessert every now and again but every day? :sick:

All I have to say is wow! TheDuckRocks!!! Holy answer! That was great! Very thorough!!!

We typically do better paying OOP especially this year with the TIW discount. We aren't big dessert eaters and much prefer an appetizer instead.

luvDaMouse
08-12-2010, 08:13 AM
:thumbsup: Thank you, this is what I was thinking also, we would more so order apps than desert. I usually cant fit it after eating dinner and wait till later and have something. My dh didnt think it was worth it but I needed some clarification.
Thanks again for all your responses we will be paying OOP :)
Dana:mickey:

Dedivah
08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Jiko, LeCellier, Brown Derby and I think either one or both Citricos/Narcosees are all 2TS. We've eaten at both LeCellier and Brown Derby and I would say that in our opinion they are not worth 2TS. I can't vouch for Jiko or Citricos/Narcosees.

We've done the dining plan in the past. But with the changes a couple years ago, we don't think we'd do it again. Pre change the DDP included appetizer and it covered the tax & gratuity. Post change, they dropped the appetizer and now you have to pay for the gratuity and possibly the tax as well. So the DDP, imo, has severly lost it's luster and value. Plus we find that what you are getting, in particular the deserts, is really too much food and not something you would necessarily order if you were paying oop. We find ourselves forcing it down simply because we got it with the plan.

I think the biggest plus is the mentallity that you are prepaying for the plan, so that when you are in the "World" you don't have to fixate on the prices/cost when you are ordering. That said, I don't think for the value that it's worth it. I'd go oop.

It is my understanding that you still have appetizer for the TS meal but not the CS. Am I wrong?

VWL Mom
08-12-2010, 09:36 AM
If I'm looking at your signature right it looks as if you have 2 trips scheduled in a one year period. You may want to run the numbers on an AP (for at least one of your party) and the TIW card $75 which gives you 20% off of meals and adult beverages.

luvDaMouse
08-12-2010, 09:50 AM
:) we both have AP's I bought them in May for our 1st trip because I knew we would be able to get 2trips out of them. Has anyone figured out the break-even point for the TIW card?

PopPhan
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Actually, Jiko is listed on the 2010 DDP as a 2TS meal....Brown Derby, Citricos, and Narcoossee's are all 2TS on the 2010 DDP listing. The Le Cellier CP Dinner is also 2TS, even though the normal Le Cellier dinner is 1TS.

The rest on your listing are 1TS meals.

I agree with a PP that you should do Trail's End OOP - save that credit for Jiko or the Le Cellier CP Dinner

To answer your initial question: Should you purchase the DDP based on your ADR selections? It all comes down whether or not you want the convenience of having meals paid for before you arrive and what, off the menu, you plan to eat.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
08-12-2010, 01:22 PM
It is my understanding that you still have appetizer for the TS meal but not the CS. Am I wrong?

Appetizers were never part of a CS meal. Most CS meals are burger/chicken basket type meals.

CS is entree, dessert and non-alcoholic beverage

TS used to include the appetizer but that has been eliminated. I think kids 3-9 still get the apps when on the DDP, but for adult it's just the entree, dessert, non-alcoholic beverage.

I believe now that tax is still included, but gratuity, which previously was part of the plan, has since been eliminated.

KAT1811
08-14-2010, 11:23 AM
:) we both have AP's I bought them in May for our 1st trip because I knew we would be able to get 2trips out of them. Has anyone figured out the break-even point for the TIW card?

Since the TIW card costs $75 after you've eaten $375 worth of TS meals and recieved the 20% off the card would be paid for. Granted they automatically include an 18% tip with the TIW card but we would normally tip 20% anyway.

Melanie
08-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Since the TIW card costs $75 after you've eaten $375 worth of TS meals and recieved the 20% off the card would be paid for. Granted they automatically include an 18% tip with the TIW card but we would normally tip 20% anyway.

Tables in Wonderland is an awesome deal. We've gotten our money's worth over and over and over. Over two trips, eating at the type of places you mention, it would be easily paid for.

KAT1811
08-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Melanears, I LOVE the TIW card. I think we are so spoiled now I can't imagine dining any other way! :thumbsup:

marlyn
08-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I also love the TIW card!! With my family it has paid itself off very quickly!!

luvDaMouse
08-15-2010, 12:00 PM
:thumbsup: Thanks to all for your replies!!
I think that the TIW card is probably the way to go. I just need to clarify something, is it good for 1 year from purchase date? so If I am going in Dec 2010 it will be good till Dec 2011? I am planning a trip in Oct 2011 but I am not sure if I will purchase the AP's again next year ( ap expires in may 2011) because we will only be at WDW for 6days so I have to see if it will pay to renew or buy hopper's. Can I still use the TIW card if I dont still have a AP? :confused:
Dana:mickey: