PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat healthy?

onjbj
08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I've adopted a pretty healthy way of eating over the last year (mostly veggies and brown rice) and don't want it all to go to pot while in WDW. Looking over the menus, it doesn't seem like restaurants really offer healthy options... any tips or suggestions? If I call ahead, can they offer me vegetarian options at the sit downs?

Tekneek
08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
I've adopted a pretty healthy way of eating over the last year (mostly veggies and brown rice) and don't want it all to go to pot while in WDW. Looking over the menus, it doesn't seem like restaurants really offer healthy options... any tips or suggestions? If I call ahead, can they offer me vegetarian options at the sit downs?

With the table service restaurants, try to give them warning and they should always be able to work with you on vegetarian dishes (from what I have read here). Often times, the chef will work up something real special for the vegetarian and be the envy of everyone else.

tundramom
08-10-2010, 09:10 PM
You can denote vegetarian or any dietary issues on you reservation if you book online, or thru DDP phone. I would make sure to reconfirm a week out, and then mention it to your server at the beginning of each dining encounter. There are several counter service places that offer vegetarian selections as well.

KAT1811
08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Personally all hopes of eating healthy while at WDW stay behind once we pack the car and head to the airport! :blush:

That being said WDW is very good at accomodating guests. Like the PP posters mentioned have it noted on your dining reservations and make sure you reiterate it to the CM when you check in for your meal and then again to the server.

I am sure that most of the chefs can create a dish that will suit your needs. I have heard great stories of chefs actually visiting tables to make sure they have the guests needs understood. (I'm sure that has a great deal to do with how busy the back of the house is at that particular time) I'm sure many of the restaurants will have a chicken breast they can grill for you, a salad they can beef up for you to make it a meal, vegetables they can steam for you.

Good luck to you!!! I give you credit for sticking to your healthy eating habits while on vacation! I have a hard enough time at home! :blush:

ElenitaB
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I would venture to say that every table service restaurant has at least one lacto-ovo vegetarian entree on its menu (even ones you might not suspect like Le Cellier, Coral Reef and Yachstman Steakhouse). If you are vegan, I would suggest that you write [email protected] once you have made your ADRs. They will respond with a form for you to fill out, and their boilerplate letter said the following:

All of our restaurants offer at least one vegetarian option and most can be modified to be vegan. We stress that you ask to speak to a Chef or Manager when you arrive at each location. They will be happy to assist with your selection and provide product labels and ingredients for menu items.

Hope that helps!

onjbj
08-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks everyone. I knew that there was an option on the online ADR service that let you denote dietary concerns, but I thought that would be more for medical reasons, allergies, and such. This is more of a personal preference, but I will follow your suggestions. I'd like to eat healthy at least half of the time we are in WDW. Thank you again!

Missy_Mouses_Dad
08-11-2010, 08:09 AM
I have been able to have a grilled chicken breast at just about every place we have dined at WDW. Fruit is always available. But Ghirardelli's is a must do for me.

ThanxForNoticin
08-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I have been able to have a grilled chicken breast at just about every place we have dined at WDW. Fruit is always available. But Ghirardelli's is a must do for me.

This is OK, though. I read all the time that chocolate is good for you!!!

#1donaldfan
08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
We don't even think healthy while there, unless you think of all the walking we do.....:thumbsup:

MinnieMommie
08-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Disney has been helpful with adjusting menu selections to accommodate requests. A couple of places you might like: Yak and Yeti at AK has steamed brown rice on the menu and items like stir fried green beans. They also have vegetable Lo Mein and wok cooked foods with broccoli and other vegetables that can be adjusted (like leaving out the meat) in a way that might work for you. The other place which comes to mind is Kona Cafe (at The Poly). They offer Pan Asian Noodles which you can order without chicken on the dinner menu. For lunch they offer Stir Fry Asian Noodles with a vegetarian option. If you call ahead they might be willing to make this for you at night. Just a couple of quick thoughts. I will pm you if I come up with a few more. :mickey:

Disney_Barbie
10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks everyone. I knew that there was an option on the online ADR service that let you denote dietary concerns, but I thought that would be more for medical reasons, allergies, and such.

I emailed the "special diet" email address over the summer & Bistro de Paris was more than happy to make me a vegan meal.

TheRustyScupper
10-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I find that I catch six of the four major food groups daily.
. . . beer - three food groups
. . . mickey ice cream bars - three food groups

lynnek
10-22-2010, 02:33 PM
My two older kids are 10 and 12--adults on the dining plan. We have upgraded to the deluxe because they really like to eat and it's F&W weekend--snack credits to use. They have scoped out the menus already from our ADR's. Only requirements I have for them--5 a day--5 fruits and veggies any which way they can get them, not counting french fries as a veggie(was appalled to see the Jamie Oliver show featuring a school district in which they counted ff as a veggie!!) and milk to drink at breakfast and dinner. Normally both drink 2 milks at each meal. I will not let them fill up on soda and then not be hungry for their food. They are allowed soda at lunch--it is vacation after all and that's something they don't get at home. At F&W, it's sounding as if a lot of things are being made with juices, so I'll be all set!:)

MagicalGuest
10-24-2010, 10:27 AM
The Wave offers a relatively healthy menu. And another poster's Yak and Yeti suggestion is also a great idea. Sunshine Seasons has a pretty good veggie wrap.

Believe it or not, we manage to eat pretty healthy at WDW. You just have to choose wisely off the TS menus, ask if you don't see something, and bypass the burgers, fries and nuggets CS restaurants.