PDA

View Full Version : First time at the Yacht Club

PrincessPixidust
08-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Can't wait for our Disney trip in only 9 days!! I have been to Disney well over 50 times in my life having been in a Disney-loving family and Floriday resident for almost 6 years. But this trip has me soooo excited! :mickey:

We will be staying at the Yacht Club for the first time! Have read all the pages regarding the Yacht Club ammentities and Stormalong Bay. Anyone have any other tidbits to share? Like good viewing spot for Illuminations, or the best building or floor to stay? We plan on spending a few evenings at Jellyrolls since they have THE BEST entertainment in Disney (IMHO)

Have been on intercot the past month soaking EVERYTHING Disney in... I think my family is ready to kill me!

Joannelet
08-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Ah, you are going to have soo much fun! :) I am excited just reading about how excited you are! :)
Stormalong Bay is the best pool!! I love the Yacht and Beach Club..it is by far my favorite hotel :)
No matter what you will have the best time there! :) Just read the forums on here...you will get a lot of info.
Have fun!

pox24
08-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Rent a two person tube, get an adult beverage each and float around Stormalong Bay. The cup holders in the tubes are perfect.:thumbsup:

PrincessPixidust
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Rent a two person tube, get an adult beverage each and float around Stormalong Bay. The cup holders in the tubes are perfect.:thumbsup:

Done and done!!! We will definately try that! Thanks :thumbsup:

MidnTPK
08-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Anyone have any other tidbits to share? Like good viewing spot for Illuminations

Anywhere around the World Showcase Lagoon.... :thedolls:

But seriously...the beauty of the YC/BC/BW/S&D is the proximity to Epcot. I love entering Epcot via the International Gateway 5 minutes before Illuminations begins, watching it from one of the bridges, and being back at my resort 10 minutes after the finale.

Which is another way of saying: yes, you can *see* some of the fireworks from Illuminations from outside of the park, but when it is so easy to get in and out, why not go into the park to enjoy the full show....music, fireworks, video globe, and all.

BrerGnat
08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
You are going to LOVE it. That pool is enough to make me book there from now on! :thumbsup:

If you don't want to enter the park, there is a bridge between BC and Boardwalk. You can see a lot of the show from there, but you'll have lots of company!

It is easy to just go into Epcot, so I'd recommend doing that. Watching from even the benches along the waterway just inside the Int'l Gateway is better than from outside the park.

If you're in the mood for a Beaches n Cream cheeseburger, but you don't want to wait an hour, the burgers at Hurricane Hannas (poolside grill) are the SAME! And cheaper too!!!

If you are returning via bus from somewhere, and the bus is planning to stop at the Swan and Dolphin too, get off at the Swan (first stop) and walk to the YC. It's faster that way.

RENT SURREY BIKES at BWI and ride around Crescent Lake. This is so fun, I can't even tell you...

Have a great trip!

MarkC
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I concur with the sentiments of the other posters. I hate to even try and build this up in case you are disappointed, but we absolutely love the area (we've stayed at BC).

As for Illuminations, the best place to watch it is below the fish and chips outdoor cafe at England (shh-- don't tell anyone else). Sometimes it can be closed for private events but usually not, and you can walk down the landing and be as close as anyone to the display. The only time to avoid it is if the wind is blowing right at you-- then you will have a face full of smoke and fireworks dust. Often times if we are in the room, I will walk over to Epcot at 8:45 and be there in plenty of time for the 9pm show. Its about a 10 minute walk if you take your time from YC. You can also grab a pastry at France and not fight everyone else who is going out the entrance by Spaceship Earth. Can't say enough about the location and grounds, decor, atmoshpere, etc. The only problem is if you have kids with you-- good luck getting them out of the pool and to the parks. Enjoy.

TammiMcMan
08-10-2010, 04:46 PM
or the best building or floor to stay? Yacht Club is set up like a hotel, so there's only the main building. If you want to be central, I would suggest asking for 2nd floor, close to the lobby.

MOJoe
08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
If you are in need of a midnight snack, or meal :blush:, remember that right next door at the Dolphin there is a cafeteria/snack bar. It's ground level, called Picabu, and it is open 24 hours a day.